Yet another E-bay scam. A new one for me...

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FastEddy

The Slowest Guy In Town
Supporter
RCTalk Vendor
Reaction score
I received a message that looks like an e-bay member question asking about an auction. Its a great HTML message that looks like the real thing.

What tipped me off is I checked my mail using my web mail and E-Bay notices come to me in text. This one showed up in HTML. The link to respond to the member question (Yellow Respond button) does not go to E-Bay it goes to some convoluted sub domain of a sub domain in a at a .ru addy.

Here is the body of the message.

Hello,

I recently placed a bid on item#5594867578 being a wheelchair for me that i really need do to my age(87 years old) and it seems that i can not find the auction anymore...May i please know if you are the seller of the item above?
Regards,

Gretta.

I hope this helps someone.

everyone knows that people that old can't use computers

Yeah, on a lower level, that's one to just confirm an email address is real so they can spam you. Actually, they already did - since it didn't bounce, the addy is good.

rocknbil do you do any network admin type stuff....e-mail server maintenance?

What can he get by that? I mean, what kind of info can he get by a responce of yes or no? (I'm kinda a computer moron, and these hackers are getting to smart for me)

4u2nv said:
What can he get by that? I mean, what kind of info can he get by a responce of yes or no? (I'm kinda a computer moron, and these hackers are getting to smart for me)

Same here???

I'm guessing from getting a good e-mail address you can work from there on getting the user id from that and then work on getting into the account.

if they spam you and the e-mail server you use accepts the e-mail as a valid addy then your addy gets sent to a bigger list for spammers....never click the "remove me" buttons as they are a definate way they confirm your e-mail address.....just delete them and add the sender to your shitlist......