Yet another computer illiterate with trouble.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Candyman

'Cuse is in the house!
Supporter
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
OK, I just bought a new computer. Dell Dimension 2400 (yes, a cheapie). 128 MB of RAM. 80 GB 7200 RPM hard drive. Using Windows XP. And I have noticed that this thing takes a long time to boot up. I started trimming down my system tray and cleaned my desktop. But that doesn't help. I did look in my system information file. One thing I noticed is that it says total physical memory is 128 MB. But the available physical memory is only 19MB. Does that sound right to you guys? Or is there something hogging all my RAM? When I ctrl/alt/delete, it shows 35 processes running. That sounds a bit excessive to me. So is there anything else I can do to get this thing to boot quicker and not hog the memory? Or should I just punch it up to 256 MB?

Originally posted by Candyman
OK, I just bought a new computer. Dell Dimension 2400 (yes, a cheapie). 128 MB of RAM. 80 GB 7200 RPM hard drive. Using Windows XP. And I have noticed that this thing takes a long time to boot up. I started trimming down my system tray and cleaned my desktop. But that doesn't help. I did look in my system information file. One thing I noticed is that it says total physical memory is 128 MB. But the available physical memory is only 19MB. Does that sound right to you guys? Or is there something hogging all my RAM? When I ctrl/alt/delete, it shows 35 processes running. That sounds a bit excessive to me. So is there anything else I can do to get this thing to boot quicker and not hog the memory? Or should I just punch it up to 256 MB?

Go with as much ram as you can afford. 128mb is a bit anemic. If Possible go to 512. You can get some really good deals on ram out on the net.

OK, so it looks like I could get a 256 MB module for like $50. Can I just drop that in next to the 128 MB module? Getting a 512 module might be a little more than I can afford right now. So would 384 MB be ok? Then maybe add another 256 MB module later?

Crap. I have a Dell 8250 that has 256MB RDRAM. Crucial does not carry chips to upgrade the memory for it. Something about the Rambus chips I have.

candyman as long as it is pc2700 it will work!

Thanks a bunch. It's on it's way...

Yes I double checked on Dell's site and it looks like it should be compatible with your system. It should certainly speed things up for you also.

sLY

OK, need a quick reply on this one.
I have a Dell Dimension 2400. Says it has 128 MB of DDR RAM PC2700.

Will this work? It's dirt cheap so I may not be able to pass it up!

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=80065-K

Dont shoot yourself in the foot and take up a slot with 128, at least get 256.

Thanks a bunch. It's on it's way...

so you just bought a 128mb chip for more than $80 where the link I gave you was better ram for $32.99? Do the math, your a doctor you can figure this one out. You could have got a 256mb for $57.99 @ the site I linked to, ooh well.

NOOOOOO!!!

128 MB is what the computer came with.

The link above is for a 512 MB card for only $80!!! Now, that sounds like a deal to me!!!

Originally posted by robmob
Crap. I have a Dell 8250 that has 256MB RDRAM. Crucial does not carry chips to upgrade the memory for it. Something about the Rambus chips I have.

You are going to have to buy RAMBUS ram as well. You can only use that brand ONLY. I have the same PC as you. I hate that part. RAMBUS Ram is Double what you have to pay for normal type kingston Ram. You know you can get 2 megs of ram in that baby but remember your bus speed is only 533 so you might as well just get 512Megs Only.

Let me know if you have any questions on that one.

Jon

Last edited:
ok that is a better deal, just know in the computer biz you usually get what you pay for, and a lifetime warranty and knowing you have solid brand of hardware is a must imo. You will notice a incrediable speed difference when booting and opening apps.

Kingston is decent stuff so you did score.

STAY AWAY FROM RAMBUS RAM. They are way too pricey too upgrade. I am told that you can't mix and match different type ram. and you can't swap all of them out for regular DDR type ram.:censored:ing pieces of :censored: !

Rambus was a great technology that just didn't take off in the mainstream, thus is why it cost double.

Yup Yup I found that AFTER I bout it. I got 120 Gig HD 7200 RPM wit Win XP Pro, CDRW Drive, DVD Drive, Zip Drive GeForce Graphics crd, asound card. All I want now is a nice flat panel and standard floppy drive. I am think to get a new hard drive since my original one got infected with viruses. I can get a 200 gig for about 120 bucks. Just to think I spent only 1000 bucks for my system!!

Jon

I just wanted to say thanks for the info, guys. A simple fix when I got it right. I got the mem today and slipped it in. At first there was a problem where the BIOS wasn't reading my CD drives. I must have pushed a cable wrong. After I reseated everything it fired right up. It's running world better than before. I'm running a total of 640 MB (1-128 card, 1-512 card) and there are no more complaints. Boots up quick and my programs open and run a ton faster. Thanks a lot. Easily the best $90 upgrade....

BTW...Windows XP runs with a minimum of 128MB of RAM, meaning it will eat up your 128MB chip all by itself. So your solution was definitely the right one. If I were you, I'd spend another $80 at the next paycheck an get another 512MB chip.

Someone mentioned not mixing RAM chipsets. I am curious as to why. I have a variety of RAM chips in a couple machines and they all get along just fine. Or is this purely a RAMBUS RAM issue?

SKYMAXX I made the comment on not mixxing ram. I read in the Dell Manual that you can only use one TYPE RAM. Meaning Rambus MUST be used with RAMBUS RAM. And the Motherboard supposedly will only accept RAMBUS. The other is that it states that you need to use 512MB with 512MB not 512MB and 256 MB. I asked this to a few people and only one could say that he agrees. The other friends said they have never been given the opportunity to try nor would they care to.

I am only using 256MB and I am trying to find a cheap seller of Rambus 2100 Ram.

Jon

EDIT- I am the ONLY one in this thread that is not a "contributing member"!!

Originally posted by jon2
EDIT- I am the ONLY one in this thread that is not a "contributing member"!!

Nope, it's you and CJ-FOREVER that aren't the contributing members.:egad: You can change that if you wish :stick: