XXL not turning correctly

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bash

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I'm breaking in my XXL and everything is going good so far, just finished up the 5th tank. The only problem I'm having an issue with is getting the truck turning correctly.

I set the throttle and steering servo's trim to zero. At this setting the wheels on the truck point slightly right.

To fix the problem I tried to unscrew the servo arms on the two steering servos and reset them on the servos with the wheels pointed straight. No matter what I tried I never could get the arms to even out which in turn would keep the wheels straight. The arms either wanted to point my wheels slightly right or left depending on which way I went to reset the arms.

I noticed the truck turns really sharp to the left but the turning radius to the right is far greater when the trim is set so that the wheels point in the correct direction.

Also another question, should the brakes make a loud racket when they are pressed? Almost sounds like something in the drivetrain binds when I hit the brakes.

if you have your steering servos as close to centre as possible with your trim set to zero, that's a good place to start. You even out the steering by adjusting the trim from that point on. trim at 0 doesn't automatically mean "going straight".

Ideally, you do what you have already done, set to zero then remove the arm and try and get it to run straight. You just need to finish the thought and now adjust your trim, do it while the truck is driving, not just by eye.

is yours new? If so it came with a DX3, so you should be able to adjust your end points (EPA). Get the trim sorted out, THEN set your EPA. Or come back if you has questions.

you should watch this vid. It's for a Savage, but it's the same process for most all nitros (differing engine break-in methods excluded). It may get boring but watch the whole thing.
http://www.hpiracing.com/videoplayer/53/

take your time and have fun.

I forgot about having EPA adjustments. I've had nitros in the past but only had one with an actual 2.4ghz radio system and that was the Futaba 3PM. Its been a while since I've messed with this stuff.

I bet my EPA is just off.

I was also having a slight issue with my brakes not stopping very well. Seemed like the throttle servo didn't push far enough with the brakes applied. I'll be this can be cured with the EPA aswell.

Do you recommend replacing the springs on the linkages with fuel tubing? I know on my old Savage it vastly improved braking performance.

Hey, sounds good. EPA adjustments should probably fix most of the problems you described. As far as the springs are concerned, once you've figured out the EPA and you're still not getting enough braking, fuel tubing is the way to go, as you've said. I like to keep a spring on the throttle side so I can pull WOT without harming the servo and I use fuel tubing on the brake side for the reasons you've stated.

Just be careful when setting your EPA on your servos. Anything over 100% is over turning them, and will increase wear and tear on them. Alot of people I know run them, over a "Badass Creations" steering link and dynamite steering arms. I have had awesome luck with that setup. I run stock servos in my basher and it turns on a dime.