XMaxx HW5687 gearing question

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had the spare max6 already, so figured I'd see how it does with gearing that works for me. As it was, I ran 4 sets of 5000mah packs through it today, back to back. No issues, except the motor got warmer than I'd have liked (170F). I don't think bending the traxxas heat sink to fit is the best idea (even with rocket 35mm alloy framed fans in it), so I ordered a heat sink that fits that uses 40mm fans. I also ordered a 26T pinion so I hold it WOT less.

So far, the tires are doing ok. I did wrap them, so they don't balloon. A new guy I met recent got an xmaxx and he's running stock electronics with the "speed" spur that came with it. He's blown 2 of his tires off already and I don' think his moves as fast as mine, but it does do flips with a lot less effort because of the ballooning tires.
2023-0702-xmaxx-tireWrap-200lbKevlarCord.jpg

I wrap most of my higher speed truck tires to avoid blowouts. Backfip LP's, MT's, Kaiju tires, 2.8 sledgehammers, buggy tires, etc.

2023-0702-xmaxx-tireWrap-200lbKevlarCord.jpg

I wrap most of my higher speed truck tires to avoid blowouts. Backfip LP's, MT's, Kaiju tires, 2.8 sledgehammers, buggy tires, etc.
What exactly am I looking at on the Xmaxx tire? Is that a strong of some sort glued to the tire?

That is string tied around the tread line to help prevent balooning

What exactly am I looking at on the Xmaxx tire? Is that a strong of some sort glued to the tire?
It's braided 200lb kevlar cord that I wrapped around the tire. Helps limit ballooning and blowing tires apart when doing backflips and whatnot. On most of my tires, I used cored 500lb kevlar cord, but it was too thick to fit in the channels. It does hold up longer though when running in rocky areas. Since I spend most of my time in grass, this should hold up for as long as the tires have tread.

I ran 29/46 with the max5/5687-1100kv and it did pretty good. With the tires wrapped, it really kills air control, but I finally got my first "on purpose" backflips with it! I ran 3 or 4 sets of packs through it with that. I've put 31/46 in it to see how that does for me. 29/46 was pretty fast and gave me decent air control, but it needs a jump that is just about perfect to get a good backflip out of it without a lot of planning.

I also found some 45x10 alloy framed fans on aliexpress that fit in the max5g2. They push quite a bit more air than the fan that was in it. I'm not sure why they have a secondary plug on the G2 specific for a fan, but it's an odd plug. I just used the regular program/fan port instead for now. Seems to work ok on my bench. I wasn't sure if it would be annoyed that a fan wasn't connected to the actual "fan" port.
2023-1014-xmaxx-max5-YSIDO_WP-4510R-escFan.jpg

The fans: https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256805539544940.html
Part: WP-4510r

This was my run with 29/46 in it:

Cool video. Where/how do you have your onboard camera mounted? Must be a pretty tough mount. Looks like fun.

Cool video. Where/how do you have your onboard camera mounted? Must be a pretty tough mount. Looks like fun.
On the roof. I have the traxxas roof skid and the front of the mount butts up against it while I use some other generic 3D printed "body skids" that came in a set with some I bought for my kraton that looked goofy for their intended purpose. I use the 3D ones to center the camera mount and I cut some reliefs in them so I run a kevlar strap under them, through the mount then over the camera to cinch it down.

I mount it similarly on my maxx4s and kraton. Surprisingly... the camera holds up to flat out 15 foot roof landings. lol! It's just a cheap runcam 2. I had to put a hot glue burm around the power switch or it would shut itself off when I landed on it. I have broken a couple of the lens hood things, but they are cheap.

This is the mount on my xmaxx:
2023-1018-xmaxx-cameraMount.jpg

When I don't want to run the camera, I just pull the strap and leave it off entirely. Editing the PIP footage is a pain and limits what I can do with it in the software I have, but I do like the video with it, with the occasional POV footage here and there.

Very cool! I'm using a runcam 5 but so far I've broke almost every mount I've tried. The only survivor is on top of my infraction. I'm surprised the cam takes the roof landings.

Very cool! I'm using a runcam 5 but so far I've broke almost every mount I've tried. The only survivor is on top of my infraction. I'm surprised the cam takes the roof landings.
The runcam5 is probably more durable than the 2, but it also sticks up more.

I had a heck of a time figuring out a mounting solution for camera's on my trucks. I didn't want to just stick one on for a minute, then take it off. I run it and record the entire bash so I can have the PIP footage. But having a camera mount that breaks, or the camera folds down, or it puts undue stress on the body itself was annoying. Mounting them this way has been the most durable solution for me... and I'm not easy on these things. lol!

On my slashpede 4x4, I put a tower to tower bar and mounted the camera to that under the roof of the body. Prior to the runcam, I had a gopro hero5 session and it was a real pain getting it in a mount that stayed put. I have to guess this kind of mount would work for that too, but it's a noticeably heavier camera, so it's harder on the body itself. The battery in it kind of crapped out and since it's not replaceable, I went with the runcam2 anyway. Only sucky part is the audio... required opening up the camera and soldering in a resistor or it was completely useless screeching. I'm not sure why it's so quiet now though...

Now if I could just get my breathing out of my body mounted camera... lol!
2023-1018-heavyBreathing-vader.jpg

I literally spend half the editing time going back and dropping out audio to remove my breathing...