Xmaxx v3 pinion gear/grub screw issue 🤬

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Booty01

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hi guys
First time posting
Bought the v3 xmaxx 4 months ago
Up to now.... Great car apart from 1 seriously under thought design fault with the pinion gear and the motor shaft. The grub screw keeps coming loose, resulting in 50/60% of my outings being a frustrating failed waste of time.
I'm tightening the grub screw down as far as I possibly can on the flat side of the motor shaft, even putting locktite in the thread before and after the grub screw goes in, sure enough once that motor and pinion gear reach running temp it comes loose and spins off the shaft again. Such a good car when it's actually running, so frustrating when I'm going home after 15 minutes because it's failed again .
Anybody got any tips on how to keep this grub screw tight or another way to get the pinion to stay on the shaft.
This tiny grub screw has ruined my whole experience of the xmaxx up to now and at 2k for the car and batteries it wasn't cheap, to be faced with the same problem time after time is starting to ware me down
Pleaseeeee help🙏
Thanks
Marty

Make sure the motor shaft is cleaned. Make sure everything is clean. Use blue loctite first. Than I would go with red. But red is like a permanent thing so you might not to get it off.
Or new pinion and grub screw.

It might help to try a different grub screw. I've had better luck with grubs that are flat on the bottom vs. pointed. Also make sure you let the locktite cure for 24 hours before you run it.

As a last resort, you can drill a small dimple in the motor shaft that the grub screw will go into. Not a hole, just a very small, maybe a mm or 2 deep dimple where the grub screw contacts the shaft.

Back