XMaxx HW5687 gearing question

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

69fastback

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
Hello all, new guy on this forum, but I’ve been around the hobby and forums for a while. The forums have slowed down, due to Facebook, which I don’t have, so I’m struggling finding some information.

I’ve decided to mod one of my XMaxx’s with a WFO recover box, ESC mounting plate, and a Max 5 ESC/ HW5687 1100 KV motor. I got everything here, and I’m was attempting to install with a Mod 1 24/46 gear combo, but with the WFO mount, the motor won’t go low enough for the gears to even touch. I’ve attempted to contact WFO to ask them about this for 2 weeks, with no response, so I’m wondering if anyone else has run into this. The WFO website says nothing about Mod 1.5 gears being required, but I suspect this is the problem. Is anyone running this setup, and do you have any advice?

I’d buy the Mod 1.5 gears, and it sounds like a 25/35 is pretty common for this motor? The problem is, nobody has them in stock. Any advice is appreciated.

post a pic ill try and give you a idea or two to help solve issue.

Welcome in @69fastback , here is the bad news because I tried the same system. The problem with that motor is the fact it is so huge that you are very limited on what gearing you can use because the gears won't reach to mesh. It don't matter what motor mount you use, the motor is simply too big. I ended up buying the stock motor and pin system motor mount.
I ran it with the 1100kv and Max 6 which ran well but again very limited on the gearing. I ended up running 18/54 if I remember correctly.

post a pic ill try and give you a idea or two to help solve issue.
So the mount is just thick enough that it places the motor back far enough to just hit the “brace” where the front of the stock ESC mounts, not letting it drop low enough for the gears to mesh. I don’t feel real good about grinding that part of the chassis off, due to the structural nature of it.
Welcome in @69fastback , here is the bad news because I tried the same system. The problem with that motor is the fact it is so huge that you are very limited on what gearing you can use because the gears won't reach to mesh. It don't matter what motor mount you use, the motor is simply too big. I ended up buying the stock motor and pin system motor mount.
I ran it with the 1100kv and Max 6 which ran well but again very limited on the gearing. I ended up running 18/54 if I remember correctly.
You got 18/54 mod 1 gears to fit? That seems like pretty low gearing for the 1100Kv. How did it perform?

Attachments

• 4D80A276-76ED-42A0-9F70-7A1D70602755.jpeg
    4D80A276-76ED-42A0-9F70-7A1D70602755.jpeg
    315.6 KB · Views: 92
  • C5E64964-E901-4496-9FED-A297C779CAD2.jpeg
    C5E64964-E901-4496-9FED-A297C779CAD2.jpeg
    257.4 KB · Views: 92
  • 6C60990A-F65B-4108-94B4-A8E0AA81CF7C.jpeg
    6C60990A-F65B-4108-94B4-A8E0AA81CF7C.jpeg
    229 KB · Views: 99
I'm not familiar with that particular mount you mentioned, but I did fit that combo into my Xmaxx with the M2C mount and didnt have any clearance issues using mod 1 gears. I never tried mod 1.5 as I wanted to retain the kush drive. I did see recently that some company in Russia made a Kush drive compatable mod 1.5 spur but they seem to be too busy blowing people up to send me parts.

The problem I had was that combo (max5) is way too much, imho, for that light basher truck. I'm currently running the Max6 and smaller can 1100kv with an Arrma Mod 1 27t pinion ( I think....) and am very happy with the performance.

In comparison, I'm running the Castle XLX2 and 1100kv combo in an Outcast EXB (much heavier than the Xmax) and they seem pretty comparable. The Arrma might be faster, but not by much.

I'm not familiar with that particular mount you mentioned, but I did fit that combo into my Xmaxx with the M2C mount and didnt have any clearance issues using mod 1 gears. I never tried mod 1.5 as I wanted to retain the kush drive. I did see recently that some company in Russia made a Kush drive compatable mod 1.5 spur but they seem to be too busy blowing people up to send me parts.

The problem I had was that combo (max5) is way too much, imho, for that light basher truck. I'm currently running the Max6 and smaller can 1100kv with an Arrma Mod 1 27t pinion ( I think....) and am very happy with the performance.

In comparison, I'm running the Castle XLX2 and 1100kv combo in an Outcast EXB (much heavier than the Xmax) and they seem pretty comparable. The Arrma might be faster, but not by much.
What are the downsides to running “too much” ESC? How does it affect the truck?

there is no such thing as too much esc a motor can only pull the amps or watts its rated as...i run twin 120 amp esc on my race clod with 2 motor that need 45 amps of esc no issues ever

there is no such thing as too much esc a motor can only pull the amps or watts its rated as...i run twin 120 amp esc on my race clod with 2 motor that need 45 amps of esc no issues ever
This has always been my understanding, which is why I was asking.

The max5 esc isn't the issue. The big can motor is what I referenced as 'too much'. When running it, I quickly destroyed ring and pinion on both diffs, the kush adapter, several diff cups and axles. It's also very hard on the mount. And your also adding weight that you don't need. I like to keep the Xmax as light as possible. I get just as much performance out of the short can 1100kv as the bigger can and the max 6 never even gets warm so there's no need for the bigger esc. To each their own. If overkill is your thing then more power to ya.
Also forgot to mention, if your using an esc that is overrated for your motor, current usage is far less efficient so you'll go through batteries faster. Not saying there's anything wrong with using that esc, just that it's pointless overkill.

I’m okay with it. I have Other Xmaxx’s and Maxx’s, so this one is just a project. I just need it to work, and haven’t figured out the best route yet. WFO seems to be lacking in the CS department.

Can anyone give me a recommendation of what Mod 1.5 ring and pinion to get for this HW5687 1100Kv motor, for just an all around basher, and where to get them? I’d like to stay a little conservative for overheating as I do have a wide open grassy area I drive at my house. Does the mod 1.5 ring just bolt on where the stock one goes, minus the Cush drive? I really wanted to keep the Cush drive, but I’m pretty well done trying to reach WFO about their mount and other products. This is literally all I need to get this truck running again, once I drill holes in the WFO reciever box to be able to run the antenna wire out of it.

Well due to some supply chain issues, but mostly the non existent customer service from WFO (do not buy from them), this truck IAH just now coming together. I think I about have it finished up. Just need to solder the leads onto the ESC.

Attachments

• 3ADFCCE5-46DC-49B0-B9FC-577BF4FFA94D.jpeg
    3ADFCCE5-46DC-49B0-B9FC-577BF4FFA94D.jpeg
    408.4 KB · Views: 123
  • 6E78DB09-BFBB-4DA9-B02A-BA8E5D9BA41D.jpeg
    6E78DB09-BFBB-4DA9-B02A-BA8E5D9BA41D.jpeg
    301.6 KB · Views: 126
  • CC3F6AB0-0570-48B3-9294-D7F176A00D42.jpeg
    CC3F6AB0-0570-48B3-9294-D7F176A00D42.jpeg
    427.9 KB · Views: 124
Well it runs, but I’m having a issue keeping the rear ring and pinion alive. I’m thinking I’m going to have to find an alternative. Honestly the HW5687 is a little too much for the truck anyways. You can never use full throttle and it takes some of the fun away from driving it.

......and maybe gear down a bit. Thats the same motor I'm running on my X and it frequently sees WOT. I did recently let the smoke out of a HW max 6. Dont know why HW sells that motor and esc as a combo. The esc is barely capable of feeding that can on 8s.

you can run full throttle jump adjust throttle end points down..
I’ve been working on tuning it. If I turn the end points down, it slows the top speed which isn’t the problem.
......and maybe gear down a bit. Thats the same motor I'm running on my X and it frequently sees WOT. I did recently let the smoke out of a HW max 6. Dont know why HW sells that motor and esc as a combo. The esc is barely capable of feeding that can on 8s.
Gearing it down would only compound the problem. The reason it can’t take full throttle is because of the aggressive wheelies. If anything, it needs to be geared up to smooth out the power.

I get just as much performance out of the short can 1100kv as the bigger can and the max 6 never even gets warm so there's no need for the bigger esc.
What motor did you end up using with that max6?

I’m okay with it. I have Other Xmaxx’s and Maxx’s, so this one is just a project. I just need it to work, and haven’t figured out the best route yet. WFO seems to be lacking in the CS department.

Well due to some supply chain issues, but mostly the non existent customer service from WFO (do not buy from them), this truck IAH just now coming together. I think I about have it finished up. Just need to solder the leads onto the ESC.
I agree. Tried to contact WFO about an issue I had with one of there parts. Never heard back from them, I went with a different company for a motor mount.

Last edited:
The best way to get ahold of WFO is message them through their facebook contact. Although they are slow to respond there as well.

I just cooked my stock motor with a max6 and 21/50 gearing. The rotor kind of exploded.
First session, I used 18/54 with the vxl-8s.
Second session, I used 20/50 with the max6.
Third session, I used 21/50 with the max6 and halfway through the first pack, the motor died.

I got the truck used and this was my 3rd session with it. I got the truck used, so I don't know how much time/abuse the stock motor went through before I got it.

I'm working on installing a spektrum SPMXSM2500 (5687-1100kv) with the M2C mount. I ordered an arrma 25T M1 8mm D pinion. Using speedcalc, the 1100kv and 25/50 will get me a bit more top speed than the stock 1275kv with 21/50.

I'm not looking for 100mph speed runs, just a bit more speed for clearing big jumps and having a bit of air control with wrapped stock tires.

Having issues installing the motor with the M2C mount though. I had to grind a little bit off the mount so the motor would fit down in it fully and it touches the non-ribbed portion of the can. I also had to grind out some of the chassis between the motor and esc because it wouldn't fit down in it. I think I have it dropped in and will be able to set the mesh properly. I was just messing with it a little while I worked, so if I needed something, I could get it ordered right away. I'm going to try spreading the xmaxx motor cooler a bit to get it to fit the larger motor. Will likely end up getting the NHX cooler with dual 40's.

I've read that the max6 won't work well with this motor (or one like it, hw5687-1100kv), but I'm not sure if those people that had issues are gearing much higher than I need.

I just bought a max5 and hw5687 and 25/35 Mod 1.5 gears tha I havent used yet. I did a decent amount of reading forum posts, FB posts, and watching YT vids first. I dont think the Max 6 is a bad choice as long as you keep the weight low, both static weight and rotating. I didnt want the limitations some seemed to be having with the max6. The problem with trying to match the on-paper top speed of the gears you'd use with the stock motor is you dont account for the torque. The HW5687 has much more torque so it will move the weight of the truck a lot easier, making it tough to control on the low end. The front wheels will continuously come off the ground. You have to gear up. This will increase top end potential, but more importantly, it will improve driveability at the low end, and as a bonus be a better mesh. As for the stock tires, the 1100 will destroy them.