X Maxx: RPM Shock Shaft Guards vs. Full Force Lycra Fabric Covers

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HMS

U.S. Army Veteran
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Racing
  2. Crawling
  3. Scale Builder
Opinions: I run my X Maxx at deer camp on mostly wide open dirt/rocky/grass lands.

Anyone using shock covers of any kind? If so, any opinion on the RPM shaft guards vs. the Full Force Lycra covers.

Not in favor over one or the other—but anyone using either? Thank you in advance.

The RPM Shaft Guards are hard RPM plastic that helps protect your shock shafts from taking direct impacts, The soft Lycra covers help keep the shocks from getting dirty. Use one, the other, both, or none. Personal preference.

The RPM Shaft Guards are hard RPM plastic that helps protect your shock shafts from taking direct impacts, The soft Lycra covers help keep the shocks from getting dirty. Use one, the other, both, or none. Personal preference.
None sounds good. Thank you.

None sounds good. Thank you.
If you're running TiNi shock shafts the the RPM ones arent as big of a deal otherwise they do offer some protection and personally I think they look really good. I use em on some of my traxxas rigs. I dont generally use shock socks though.

IMG_5958.JPG

The shock guards are for protecting from getting direct hits to the shock shafts and springs from rocks and other projectiles. Which if only running by your self. The rears are only needed. The socks are more for keeping the shaft clean and the bottom seals. Free from dirt and dust.. its personal preference alot of this hobby is personal preference
I run the socks on my X.

The shock guards are for protecting from getting direct hits to the shock shafts and springs from rocks and other projectiles. Which if only running by your self. The rears are only needed. The socks are more for keeping the shaft clean and the bottom seals. Free from dirt and dust.. its personal preference alot of this hobby is personal preference
I run the socks on my X.
I like the looks/appearance of the RPM shaft covers vs. the socks. Figure I’ll give those a try as I like to see the anodized metal.

I’ve rebuilt auto/truck shocks enough times that the Traxxas X Maxx shocks are likely pretty easy to rebuild when needed.

I like the looks/appearance of the RPM shaft covers vs. the socks. Figure I’ll give those a try as I like to see the anodized metal.

I’ve rebuilt auto/truck shocks enough times that the Traxxas X Maxx shocks are likely pretty easy to rebuild when needed.
Oh yeah for sure. Give them a try let me know how they work out.. I like the the covers they actually match my shock color anyway. So either way I have blue shocks 😉😉👍👍 I'm a blue freak 🤣🤣🤣

All RC shock I've ever dealt with are basically the same. Theyre all easy to work on.

@StonerRC365 I remember you said you like blue. Blue looks nice.

Attachments

• 6E7C1C1C-68D6-4430-A6FF-8F2DC8B7A92B.jpeg
    6E7C1C1C-68D6-4430-A6FF-8F2DC8B7A92B.jpeg
    276.6 KB · Views: 69
  • 8F5C1241-10A1-4BEA-A552-317F945D0552.jpeg
    8F5C1241-10A1-4BEA-A552-317F945D0552.jpeg
    255.6 KB · Views: 68
  • 82A4EEAA-AF2A-40D2-9582-A396C1747775.jpeg
    82A4EEAA-AF2A-40D2-9582-A396C1747775.jpeg
    316 KB · Views: 182
  • 5C675413-75E7-4DFA-B5E4-6BBD255C865D.jpeg
    5C675413-75E7-4DFA-B5E4-6BBD255C865D.jpeg
    261.4 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
One thing I have had happen with shocks is while driving in gravel doing donuts a rock got flung up into a front shock spring and lodged in there. It was completely inside the spring and I noticed when the truck took a hard bounce something was up. It didn't damage anything other than gouge up the bottom of the shock body, but if I had hit a big jump it might have been bad. So the guards would help stop that. The socks are better for fine dust and sand which could tear up seals. So both could be beneficial. Just depends on what you want protection from.

The guards look good bud. How they working out. Due the front ones have a set on the back side as well? Wondering about when your in reverse??

They look good. Definitely pros and cons with any part but I think these would work nicely.

The guards look good bud. How they working out. Due the front ones have a set on the back side as well? Wondering about when your in reverse??
They are working nicely. They don’t interfere with shock movement one bit. I don’t go very fast in reverse, so only really concerned about direct impacts to the front and rocks kicked up by the front tires—which the rear covers protect.