WTF mechanics please look

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slowngreen

Robmob is a Californian.
Staff member
Supporter
Excellence Award
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
  3. Crawling
Tractor died over the weekend so I gotta work on it today.

It will click once trying to start it, then its like it trips something and loses all power. But it has a new battery and test lights find at the battery, but after it clicks/trips, I can't get any power after the battery anywhere....For a while. After like 10-15 minutes, power is there again, in everything, main cable, starter, ign, and so on....Until you turn it again, click, then nothing. No lights, no nothing. (lights work without running until now).

Any ideas? No corrosion either any where.

Negative...

I mean no lol.

hmmmm seems kind of weird
i would say probably a relay or a bad wire connection some were

Wonder if theres a fusable link, I'll have to go try and find one...

yea could be,but if the fuse was blown it wouldn't try to start at all right?

yeah your right. sigh...Got to be something staring me in the face.

Could be a bad solenoid on the starter.

Lloyd does it have more then 1 battery?

Sent from my Samsung Admire

Last edited:
What year is the tractor? To me it sound like a relay. I'm not sure about the tractor but cars and trucks use them for fuel pumps and ignition systems and all sorts of things. Basically its a breaker that turns it self back on. If you have a multimeter check your battery first. The test light wont show the actual volts. The relays usually are voltage sensitive but sometimes they just get hot and need replacing.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
If it one click and nothing it's the solenoid on the starter, what's happening is that the solenoid is pulling in but it's contacting where there wont be any power flowing, hence burnt area on button,

Replace the solenoid if you can if not your going to be replacing the starter,

Btw my qualification is a diesel mechanic for a rental company

Sent from my smartass phone

If it one click and nothing it's the solenoid on the starter, what's happening is that the solenoid is pulling in but it's contacting where there wont be any power flowing, hence burnt area on button,

Replace the solenoid if you can if not your going to be replacing the starter,

Btw my qualification is a diesel mechanic for a rental company

That was my first thought also, but I just was curious as to why it died first and why I have zero power clear up to the battery, just didnt/doesn't make sense to me how it could be there at the pos post but not at all in the cable.

Its an 04 John Deere 5205 just for reference.

Due to it being a new unit I'd look at all grounds again even though there clean looking, check the wiring to the computers anything loose is going to play hell with you then check wiring at alt, on some units if they don't get signal they tell the comp to shut the unit down fully, safety protocol, also known as annoyance factor

It sounds like a dead battery, even if it's new it could be bad or something could be draining it. Put a meter on it and have someone turn the key...I'm betting your voltage will drop to nothing.

Jump it from your truck. If it starts then you know your new battery is bad. If the starter still clicks but you still have power, then you know bother your battery and starter are bad.

Battery has full voltage as well as every thing else. So I'm guessing it does go back to being the starter...

Definately sounds like a ground issue... I agree with he above post that says to try jumping it with something else

Yeah it wont jump. It just does the same thing. It gets power, even while being jumped, to everything, until you turn the key, or jump the solenoid, then its a one click to a trip type thing and then theres no power any where except in the battery.

Back