World of Warcraft - WOW?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WoodiE

Kind of good admin
Administrator
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I've never been big of a role playing gamer, always like TFC, Half Life, Battlefield. Anyways I picked up a copy of World of Warcraft last night at Target for $20 and started playing for an hour or two last night.

Anyone else playing this? Any tips or pointers?

-Michael

I liked all the other Warcraft games but when I saw guys on ebay selling characters they made for 5000 bucks I lost all interest.. I play Battlefield 2142 now and the new Northern Strike booster .

I am familiar with this 'World of Warcraft" you speak of...

As a matter of fact- it has ruined my social life lol. I am an avid WoW player. I am in a guild composed of people I work with, I have several high level characters and again, I have no social life because I would rather sit at home.

Be prepared my friend. WoW is definatley fun. Almost unanimously one of the best games ever created... I mean EVER. It has millions of players in countries all over the world. BUT- if you really want to get anywhere you will need to invest time and, unfortunately, more money in it. It is a level based MMORPG, which basically means you will "level" you character by killing things and completing quests... Both of which are in great supply. An almost never ending supply to be exact.

The level cap is 70 and it is estimated to take about 17 months to 2 years to reach that point- by a person who plays every single day. I have been stuck on WoW for far too long, but again, IMO it is the best game I have ever played. Years later and it still has replay value as if I just got it off the shelf every time I log on. I feel it is well worth the 15 bucks a month, and obviously so many millions of others do as well.

Have fun with it, but try not to start skipping work to hit level 45, thats a good way to loose a job. Or a girlfriend....or a social life...

I dont, but I'm pretty sure this guy does...

nerd-46422.jpg

I have a couple of characters scattered on different servers. My main is a lvl 68 Tauren Druid on Bloodhoof. Here is a link to his profile.

I also have a couple of Alliance characters I play on Sen'jin.

WoW can be whatever you want it to be. Some take it way to seriously. It depends on the week but I average 3-5 hours of game play. Most of my WoW game time is on the weekends.

Check the sticky posts in the specific class forums on worldofwarcraft.com. They have a lot of good information about playing your class and the popular builds. The Armory is also another great place to look at other characters so see what gear they have.

http://wow.allakhazam.com/ and http://www.thotbott.com are both great sites to visit if your looking for anything WoW related on quests, gear, NPCs, etc.

EDIT: Oh yeah....before you log out for the day / night try to do it either in an inn or a major city. You rest experience will build up faster. When you look at your XP bar you will see a little vertical line somewhere and up to that point it will all be double XP...after that it will go back to normal. Grinding out mobs will take you forever to level. IMO the real leveling it with the questing. Especially once you hit Outland.

Last edited:
Just watch the Southpark episode about WoW... Thats about my take on it...

I dont, but I'm pretty sure this guy does...

nerd-46422.jpg

Andy, I told you specifically NOT to use my picture anymore!!!
This is not fair, I was young and needed the money...;o)

Hey it seems like a pretty ok game - I'm pretty impressed with it and I've never been a MMORPG guy myself. Right now I've played an hour or two for the last two days and have managed to get up to a whooping level 7 or 8 I think.

I'll stick with it for a bit and see what happens, but I'm not one to want to sit there and whack at something for hours on end just to level up once and right now I can't take on to big of a guy because my weapons sucks the ass and I'm poor. I've tried to start mining (to which I just figured out last night) but I got a grand total of 2-3 copper ores and then the mine disappeared and I can't find another freaking mine.

phx123,

You mention the selling of characters - while I haven't seen that I have seen the selling of gold and power leveling, both to which just simply amaze me that people are spending actual money for virtual items. That to me is much to serious and something I'm not willing to do.

-Michael

isn't this a nerd game?
my mate at school plays it and he never really steps foot outside his house, he just plays on the game all day long and that's something i couldn't do, i like having friend's and going play football or with rc cars etc.
also for £10 (about $20) a month i think it's a total waste of money

My kids are into it big time....I am a Battle Field 2 guy my self ...Although I picked up The New Command Conquer last night.....always enjoyed that series and I own all of them. It look to be great fun.

Watch out Woody, this WOW can be a time and life sucker.....it seems the amount of time you spend in there is in direct proportion to the the loss of part of you in real life......just my observation of my kids.

Sure they are level 68 mages or whatever ....but there room does not but cleaned. ;)

Have fun.....but work on a girlfriend FIRST...;)

Talon

Yeah I didnt see any characters for sale on ebay either . Ill have to ask my cousin where he sells his . I think he's sold 3 or 4 now I can't remember . I know Zandor said he or someone he knew used to sell Diablo 1&2 characters . I guess if people will buy them why not sell them . Oh and dont forget the new Quake Wars game should be out soon and Supreme Commander looks really good also (if you liked Total Annihilation ) .

Rather than actually selling an account on Ebay, now most of the kids will "power-level" a character for a player. This still involves a transfer of the account and a bit of time. The "Seller" will take the players account and level the character in question to an agreed upon point for XX amount of cold cash.

Idiots.

Sure.

And about seventy-five trillion boar later you will cap out at about level 15.
The only way to really get anywhere in WoW is questing. Crappy thing is, now that Blizzard released their new BC expansion everyone has gone to those level 60 alts they left sitting in the garage for so long. Try finding a party for one of the lower level major boss raids and you will be out of luck.

I know this is a bit old, but figured I'd update my geekiness game playing. I'm now up to a whopping lvl 37 so watch out alliance! I'm thinking maybe I should have just found a character to buy or paid some middle school kid to play until I goto lvl 40 or so. This crap is taking much to long.

-Michael

So that is where you have been Woodie.....trekking about in the deep caverns of WOW..

Good Luck man....this game practically ate one of my kids....had to get him outdoors shooting real guns and such to save him. LOL

Mike

I just made my own contribution to the WoW Detox site. Guess which one.

Back