Won't start, sitting up for a long time

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jake.

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hey folks I have a T-maxx that has been sitting up in the attic for a lonnnnnggggg time (6 years?). I pulled it out a few weeks ago and have been messing with it trying to get it going. It turns over good but just wont fire off, I have checked the glow plug and it's getting hot. If i squirt a little fuel in the carb while I'm turning it over, it fires off just a little bit and the motor usually locks up (flooded). So I'm at the point where it's not getting fuel to the carb i guess. I have blew out the fuel line and also plugged the line from the exhaust and blew in the tank to try to prime the carb. I can't get this thing going at all. Any suggestions?

You'll need to thoroughly clean out the needle valves in the carb. They get gummed up when sitting a long time.

so basically I need to take the carb apart and clean it out really good?

Ok I Pulled the carb and took it apart. Cleaned everything out really good. Now it's flooding out immediately when I go to crank it. I have the high and low speed adjusted to factory break-in specs. Engine turns over for about 1 second then locks up, It wont turn over again until i pull the plug and blow all the fuel out.

Factory break in settings will give you a rich tune to start with which would coincide with your flooding issues. Try leaning out the HSN a 1/4 turn at a time until you get consistent starts

OK I got it going today. Well kinda. I can only get it running if I work the throttle and as soon as I let off it cuts off. I got it to drive around in a circle one time then it cut off. I tried to adjust the hsn while keeping it running with the throttle but to no avail. It seems like its still too rich as I have to throttle it up to keep it running. Any advice?

got it going good today. Ran about 5 tanks through it. It cuts off randomly when I let it slow down to idle. At first I got it running good and took it through a field for a few minutes then checked the temp and it was like 350 :whhooo: I let it cool down for a minute and richened up the hsn some. Ran a few tanks through it and got around 255 degrees max. Thats running through a grass field wide open.