Won’t start.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daxfas26

RC Newbie
Reaction score
I got the Losi 8ight-T RTR truggy couple months ago I have ran maybe 12 tanks of gas so far. I got tired of doing the pull start so I got myself a starter box. Few weeks later of not running and different gas that I am not used to. Now the truggy won’t start. I have done all the trouble shooting as suggested in the manual. Only thing I haven’t tried is new fuel. I was using Vp 20% nitro. I found some traxxas 20% nitro in local hobby shop. Could it be the problem? I just can’t see how that would be the problem. I thought maybe the traxxas fuel sat up a long time in the hobby shop? Who knows. Has anyone experience problems starting because of bad fuel?

Did you pull the glow plug out and insert it in to your glow igniter? Make sure to use needle nose pliers or you'll get burned. Make sure it glowsstrong and bright. If it does put it back, reset the carb to factory specs and try again. It also could be bad fuel, but check the plug first.

I got the Losi 8ight-T RTR truggy couple months ago I have ran maybe 12 tanks of gas so far. I got tired of doing the pull start so I got myself a starter box. Few weeks later of not running and different gas that I am not used to. Now the truggy won’t start. I have done all the trouble shooting as suggested in the manual. Only thing I haven’t tried is new fuel. I was using Vp 20% nitro. I found some traxxas 20% nitro in local hobby shop. Could it be the problem? I just can’t see how that would be the problem. I thought maybe the traxxas fuel sat up a long time in the hobby shop? Who knows. Has anyone experience problems starting because of bad fuel?
A non starting nitro is USUALLY a simple problem to fix. If it ran fine for 12 tanks and randomly won’t start, it’s most likely because...
A. Your glow igniter is weak or dead
B. Your glow plug is dead or bad
C. Make sure your fuel system is okay and fuel easily flows through the lines to the carb when priming

Literally any time my nitro hasn’t started was because my glow igniter was either way too weak or dead. A glow plug or two has crapped out on me but as long as you were tuned okay even that’s rare. Charge your glow igniter and replace the battery, and throw in a new plug if it’s the original one that came with the truck. I hope this helps!

How do you know its the fuel?
Make sure that your glow plug is still good an your glow igniter is charged!...:thumbs-up:

I changed glow plugs and had my igniter charged prior to starting. And yes I took the plug out and tested it to make sure igniter was working. I also put the carb back to factory settings and nothing. I spent a couple hours trying to get it started today. I went through the whole troubleshooting guide and cleared my engine from flooding. Only thing left on the troubleshooting list is bad fuel. I ordered me some more of the fuel I was using before. I hope that’s the case. But it just seems unlikely it would be bad fuel?

I changed glow plugs and had my igniter charged prior to starting. And yes I took the plug out and tested it to make sure igniter was working. I also put the carb back to factory settings and nothing. I spent a couple hours trying to get it started today. I went through the whole troubleshooting guide and cleared my engine from flooding. Only thing left on the troubleshooting list is bad fuel. I ordered me some more of the fuel I was using before. I hope that’s the case. But it just seems unlikely it would be bad fuel?

All you can do is try ,but also ,setting the engine back to factory sets will cause more fuel an flood
the engine ,so be aware of that!..:thumbs-up:

Can you hear any explosion/firing from the engine at all? Not sure how you clear the flooding, using a starter box could easily cause flooding. I would take off the glow plug, close the high speed needle, but remember what it was set. Put a tissue paper to cover the glow plug hole and spin the flywheel until nothing come out. Then set the HSN again, test and put the glow plug back and prime it a bit if needed and try to start again.

Can you hear any explosion/firing from the engine at all? Not sure how you clear the flooding, using a starter box could easily cause flooding. I would take off the glow plug, close the high speed needle, but remember what it was set. Put a tissue paper to cover the glow plug hole and spin the flywheel until nothing come out. Then set the HSN again, test and put the glow plug back and prime it a bit if needed and try to start again.
No explosion or firing at all. But I will try that method next. I took glow plug out and put towel over it. I ran it on the starter box with the fuel line unplugged from the carb. Still didn’t do it for me.

Check to make sure your getting fuel to the carb by removing the line to carb and try starting and priming. You should see a stream of fuel. If not then your fuel filter could be blocked If you are using one? If that checks out remove the carb and open it all the way and try starting and priming again. You should see fuel streaming out. If not your carb is blocked with crap. clean it out.

No explosion or firing at all. But I will try that method next. I took glow plug out and put towel over it. I ran it on the starter box with the fuel line unplugged from the carb. Still didn’t do it for me.
If the tissue is not wet at all, then it is not flooded, put a couple of drop of fuel into you your carb and if it fires, then no fuel get to it.