Will a spektrum DX3 work with dig?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WoodiE

Kind of good admin
Administrator
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I have an older spektrum DX3 radio and I'm wanting to use dig, well kinda.

I want to use an RC4WD R2 tranny with disconnect (X-0361) and then use the disconnect to activate and disactivate an axle. I don't need the locking of the axle option. Just on or off.

Will this radio suffice?

yes, i used a dx3 for my dig for a long time.

Ok next question would be for those who have experience with the RC4WD R2 tranny... would it hold up well to a brushless setup?

definatly will, alot of people run brushless setups with their r2 tranny's. u wanting to go 2 or 3s? or something else?

Lloyd, You're just full of answers. Thanks! :D

It will work with brushless just don't hook it up to a 4600kv motor like some guy on another site did, it did not work to well, it completly distroyed the gears inside the tranny. But I am sure it would be fine with a goat type brushless.

Yeah I had a feeling I'd have to make some adjustments to my brushless system to tune it back a bit. A Losi Xcelorin 1820Kv :D

oh ya lol that losi setup would be killer!. I agree a Goat setup would be good but I'm guessing you wanna get some speed out of it huh? and you already have the setup, prolly better not do 3s on it.

or put a slipper on it.

Last edited:
definatly will, alot of people run brushless setups with their r2 tranny's. u wanting to go 2 or 3s? or something else?
I love you Lloyd but I have never had any luck with a brushless motor and a R2 tranny. I have killed a few internal gear sets for the R2 tranny with a 850 kv outrunner and some crappy 8 cell 4/5 A batteries from CBP.com.

i never said I have done it lol but I've seen several people on rcc who have brushless on the r2, or atleast they say they do.

Dont they have upgraded internals for them too? wouldnt that be the answer for a lasting brushless setup on the r2?

Last edited:
I love you Lloyd but I have never had any luck with a brushless motor and a R2 tranny. I have killed a few internal gear sets for the R2 tranny with a 850 kv outrunner and some crappy 8 cell 4/5 A batteries from CBP.com.

Are you guys going to make out or what lol.

i never said I have done it lol but I've seen several people on rcc who have brushless on the r2, or atleast they say they do.

Dont they have upgraded internals for them too? wouldnt that be the answer for a lasting brushless setup on the r2?
The problem is the gear thickness. The gears inside the R2 are not very thick. If you want a all around great trans go with the Ax-10 trans and a DNA, Eritex, or Vanquish dig. The over all size is much better than the R2D and the Ax-10 trans is much stronger and smoother. You can also add a slipper clutch to the Ax-10 which is another plus for those high TQ brushless motors.

Are you guys going to make out or what lol.

Heck no, but it sounds like you want to watch. LOL

The problem is the gear thickness. The gears inside the R2 are not very thick. If you want a all around great trans go with the Ax-10 trans and a DNA, Eritex, or Vanquish dig. The over all size is much better than the R2D and the Ax-10 trans is much stronger and smoother. You can also add a slipper clutch to the Ax-10 which is another plus for those high TQ brushless motors.

Thanks for the info chip. Is it possible to install a dig unit to the front wheels instead of the back using the stock transmission?

Thanks for the info chip. Is it possible to install a dig unit to the front wheels instead of the back using the stock transmission?

Yes sir, just flip the trans around and reverse the motor wires. I did that on a X-Trail chassis one time so I could have 4wd, 2wd, and rear wheel burnouts.

Yes sir, just flip the trans around and reverse the motor wires. I did that on a X-Trail chassis one time so I could have 4wd, 2wd, and rear wheel burnouts.

This is exactly what my plans are for the dig as well on my SCX10.

I lied, I thought the brushless combo was a different model... it's the losb9553 which is a 17.5T (1820Kv) motor. Big difference huh! :)

I lied, I thought the brushless combo was a different model... it's the losb9553 which is a 17.5T (1820Kv) motor. Big difference huh! :)

Would probably still be better off with a Axial tranny.

for sure it would be better with an axial, BUT people DO run brushless on r2's. not saying they hold up for long, i dont know cuz i havent tried. The axial trans will be way cheaper to replace parts on if it came to that too since you can pick up a brand new unit for like $30.

I've also noticed a full set of steel gears are available for the axial tranny. I might just get a set of that if for some reason the stock gears don't hold up.

Thanks for the advice guys, much appreciated.