Why is there a gap in my center diff?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hpitrophyflux

RC Newbie
Reaction score
So I've bought a new central diff for my 1/8 scale rc car and 2 issues why is there a massive gap and there's way to much space for it can anyone help

16956546101368549923061265596693.jpg

16956546427894479788659725937576.jpg

you need to slide pinion away from .losen grub screw slide pinion away from motor mount tighten grub screw

Okay, I'll give this a shot what do I do after I slided the motor away from the central diff

Okay, I'll give this a shot what do I do after I slided the motor away from the central diff
please clarify the issue. from what i can see, you need to loosen the gear that is screwed on to the motor and slide it out a little bit and also loosen the motor screws and move the motor closer to the spur gear which is the big gear an take a piece of paper and put it in between the pinion which is the gear that is on the motor and the spur gear which is the gear that is on the center diff and close them together by pushing the motor towards the spur gear and then tighten the motor back down and roll the car back and forth and make sure that there is no binding in the drive train then remove the piece of paper and you should be good to go.
just make sure everything is tightened back down and is put back together correctly
What car does this happen to be on?

please clarify the issue. from what i can see, you need to loosen the gear that is screwed on to the motor and slide it out a little bit and also loosen the motor screws and move the motor closer to the spur gear which is the big gear an take a piece of paper and put it in between the pinion which is the gear that is on the motor and the spur gear which is the gear that is on the center diff and close them together by pushing the motor towards the spur gear and then tighten the motor back down and roll the car back and forth and make sure that there is no binding in the drive train then remove the piece of paper and you should be good to go.
just make sure everything is tightened back down and is put back together correctly
On a hpi trophy flux. Now all I need to do is put the piece of paper which is another issue everytime I do it it goes wrong it's a new diff and I've never worked on this area before
And wverytime when it goes wrong it gets stuck I fold the piece of paper twice I get the motor as close as possible then I screw the motor in then after I pull the piece of paper upwards

Last edited:
w
On a hpi trophy flux. Now all I need to do is put the piece of paper which is another issue everytime I do it it goes wrong it's a new diff and I've never worked on this area before

And wverytime when it goes wrong it gets stuck I fold the piece of paper twice I get the motor as close as possible then I screw the motor in then after I pull the piece of paper upwards
what do you mean it goes wrong?

I pull the paper up to set the gear mesh the gears get stuck after I pull the paper aswell

I tighten it then pull the paper out like I said I haven't done this before and I'm just a teenager this is my first actual rc car. What I do is I pull the paper up after once I tightened it I made the pinion more closer you have whatsapp?

This is sounding like your motor shaft or your trans main gear shaft is bent.

you smash the paper between the 2 gears then you pull the paper out after you tighten the grub screws we have a messenger in this forum us it.its a thing use rcers use to get correct gear mesh

I tighten it then pull the paper out like I said I haven't done this before and I'm just a teenager this is my first actual rc car. What I do is I pull the paper up after once I tightened it I made the pinion more closer you have whatsapp?
Okay you don’t have to use the paper. Just mesh it together and pull the motor back ever so slightly and make sure that there is wiggle between the pinion and the spur gear and you should be good to go.

Okay you don’t have to use the paper. Just mesh it together and pull the motor back ever so slightly and make sure that there is wiggle between the pinion and the spur gear and you should be good to go.
Without paper how do I do that because I bought everything new and stuff this is a brilliant rc I want running again and ill do whatever.

The piece of paper or a piece of the packaging your diff came in is being used as a gap gage. At this point I would recommend YouTubing the subject and see if that helps. If it doesn't, I would recommend your local hobby shop then.

Seems to me that you need to slide that pinion out a bit. It's conflicting with the motor place as you can see, and it's not fully engaging the spur.