Why does everyone not like traxxas

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have really just never been a fan of that Traxxas ecosystem. You can't use any of that stuff anywhere's else besides traxxas.
It depends on the part, plenty of people use ultra shocks and Traxxas electronics on their projects. Heck, I even threw some old Slash shocks on one of my Tamiya buggies.

Traxxas
Cars are pretty good. Electronics are not. And behind the scenes like the business as the whole isn't really good.
Most RTR electronics are mediocre, you're absolutely correct about that third point.

I still use traxxas plugs on my stuff. But its the older gen non ID plugs. Mostly cause thats what plug I started out with and most of my batteries has it. But since I am getting more into the racing side of things, I use bullet plugs in my cars now. But in the bashers, I usually run a bullet to traxxas adapter to my esc. So I can run my race batteries and basher batteries at the same time.

It depends on the part, plenty of people use ultra shocks and Traxxas electronics on their projects. Heck, I even threw some old Slash shocks on one of my Tamiya buggies.
Most RTR electronics are mediocre, you're absolutely correct about that third point.

Yup, the shocks were decent, maybe alu caps and they're OK for a light truck. But the electronics... Most mfgrs use old rebadged Hobbywing stuff that's quite good. Traxxas' VXL-3s is crap hard to program and doesn't even come with a fan but you need to buy it separately (25USD for realistically a 1$ fan with a plastic mount!!!), and it really needs it for 3s use. The stuff in the TRX4 works surprisingly good but also usually doesn't last long. Their servos are sub par too.

Their newer stuff seems better designed generally, TRX4, X-Maxx and forward they really upped their game I think. It's the ancient designs that haven't been modernised that I don't like.

The only thing i like from Traxxas is the clipless body design. I'm not talking their system, I just like the idea. I am seeing other manufacturers doing this now. Armma is using a simular locking system Touring cars are using magnets and Axial seems to be using Velcro šŸ˜†.

The only thing i like from Traxxas is the clipless body design. I'm not talking their system, I just like the idea.
Unpopular opinion but I like clips, it keeps the door open for aftermarket bodyshells.

Traxxas' VXL-3s is crap hard to program and doesn't even come with a fan but you need to buy it separately (25USD for realistically a 1$ fan with a plastic mount!!!)
I'm pretty sure that Castle does this with some of their ESCs too, I'm not a fan of it myself. Too much nickel and diming crap in this expensive hobby.

Unpopular opinion but I like clips, it keeps the door open for aftermarket bodyshells.
I'm with you... Clips allow more options. Three of the six Arrmas that I am using are using aftermarket bodies. The latest trend, even from Arrma is toward clipless systems that force you toward buying only bodies they offer at a high cost. The Big Rock 6s is a fine example, I really like the body they offer but it's fragile and costs a crazy amount of money. It would be good to have other bodies available for variety and durability but with the proprietary latch system, it's very limiting.

The sad thing is that I do too. :)

.....And sometimes wake in the middle of the night to work on them.
We are here for you. šŸ¤£šŸ¤£

I'm pretty sure that Castle does this with some of their ESCs too, I'm not a fan of it myself. Too much nickel and diming crap in this expensive hobby.
In the last year I got a copper head combo, a copperhead 10 esc, and a sidewinder combo. All 3 had fans bolted on. The older ones I dont think did until 3 or 4 years ago.

The motors have optional blower fans. The copperhead both came with a free castle link mail in option.

I will say in my vxl days I broke alot of vxl fans. They left me winded! I cracked my Castle fan mount on my first tying to unscrew something.

Don't want to start a heated debate. šŸ¤£
Just put a fan to it. šŸ’„

I like the good old fashioned clips, myself.

Hi there i have many traxxas cars and just wandering why do so many people hate traxxas
Because they can. šŸ¤£ I love my Traxxas, Arrma ,and Axial machines. Don't like em, don't buy em. Let's all trash the ones we don't like. That makes sense. šŸ¤£ .

Last edited:
I'm with you... Clips allow more options. Three of the six Arrmas that I am using are using aftermarket bodies. The latest trend, even from Arrma is toward clipless systems that force you toward buying only bodies they offer at a high cost.
My very first "hobby grade" RC was a Rustler with a VW Bug shell on it, so from the very beginning custom bodyshells were a big deal to me.

If there's any modern trends that I dislike, it's clipless body systems, propietary battery plugs, and anything that needs a "plate" just to let me double tape my own electronics. It all goes against the idea of personalizing your RC how you want to.

I think. It's the ancient designs that haven't been modernised that I don't like.

I think they're fine brushed, but I get a laugh out of the VXL models. My first Rustler was one of the original 20t Stinker models with an MSC, I'm not surprised that they break easy when you put modern power through them.