Why do people put zip ties on the head of their nitro engine?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TRAT

Hardcore RCTalk User
Rig of the Month Winner
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
  3. Crawling
  4. Scale Builder
  5. Flying
So I always see a lot of the top of the head with 4 zip ties on them? Guess never understood why is that? Is like a bump or tighter fit for glow stick??
Maybe stupid question but what’s the point?

So I always see a lot of the top of the head with 4 zip ties on them? Guess never understood why is that? Is like a bump or tighter fit for glow stick??
Maybe stupid question but what’s the point?
To keep from scraping when upside-down, which happens sometimes even to the best of us, and more frequently than that to me...

I used to think if I smacked my nitro engine into concrete with the whole weight of the car on top of it it would be toast, but now I've even landed hard enough to break off cooling fins and the engine kept running. It's cosmetic, but adds a degree of protection. Even under a body, the zip ties will add a layer between the shell and engine.

Traxxas goes so far as to build a sacrificial plastic ring into the top of their cooling heads.

To keep from scraping when upside-down, which happens sometimes even to the best of us, and more frequently than that to me...

I used to think if I smacked my nitro engine into concrete with the whole weight of the car on top of it it would be toast, but now I've even landed hard enough to break off cooling fins and the engine kept running. It's cosmetic, but adds a degree of protection. Even under a body, the zip ties will add a layer between the shell and engine.

Traxxas goes so far as to build a sacrificial plastic ring into the top of their cooling heads.
Ohhhh ok yea I seen those plastic cap rings as well. Well makes sense I have rolled many nitro cars think I still have few the motors from few. Yea bent cooling fins but I just saw it as ehh it is what it is. That answer my question.

Thank you makes sense