Which temp gun

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spikes

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I'm a T-Maxx backyard basher so far, but I bought a used Savage with a super clean Ofna .26 motor that looks almost new and still has a major 'pinch', so I want to go back through the break in procedures.

I don't want to spend any more than I have to on a temp gun, but want one that is decent and reliable.

What should I look for?

Side question - I've been running Traxxas 20% Top Fuel in my 2.5 Maxx, is this a good fuel for this truck, and the Savage with a Picco .26?

Thanks! :)

check the local auto parts store to see if they have have a laser temp gun they work great i use that one and a duratrax but the laser one works better imo cuz you can get it aimed right the glowplug just food for thought, but if you have the funds available upgrade to a spektrum DX3S TX and RX it has on board telemtry and you get the temps right on the transmitter thats what i have and i love it

The TX/RX combo sounds great but funds are going to hold me back right now. Hmmm... Christmas IS right around the corner....

I'll check the auto parts stores, what would be a good brand if, for example, I was looking at E-Bay?

Thanks.

Tempgun.com. Run byrons, o'donnel, trinity. Traxxas fuel is junk.

+1 on the O'donnell
thats what i have been running and i have no complaints

The TX/RX combo sounds great but funds are going to hold me back right now. Hmmm... Christmas IS right around the corner....

Thanks.
i can understand that completely,

Any temp gun is better than no gun. I've had this one for a couple of years now (bought for other things before i got into this hobby) & use it for a lot of things:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=96451

I'm sure there are some better ones (more $$ too), but I've compared this to multiple pyrometers, and it's less than typically been within 5 degrees F at over 200 degrees.

Note though, with most non-contact infrared thermometers, you ger some variation with distance, but using the laser & scanning inside around the head, I think you'd be fine.

You can oder through the mail, or see if there is a store close to you. If you sign up for their coupons, they're always sending out an additional 10 - 25% off coupons as well (for local stores).

Like others mentioned, you may also be able to find one at a local autopoarts store as well, especcially with the holidays coming up.

Happy shopping.

Thanks for the coupon tip for Harbor Freight. I'm going to sign up. I'll go with their $20 laser model for now and upgrade later.

Where i work the MAC and SNAP-ON tools distributors come to my shop a few times a week. I bought a 30 dollar temp gun from MAC and it works perfectly. It is angled perfect to see the reading and it has a lit screen for night ridin'. I dont think any temp gun could be better, as good but not better. It would probably not be worth it to order it off the mac website so i would check ebay.

http://www.mactools.com/productdetails/tabid/119/c-22832-electronic-thermometers.aspx[/URL] (ET7201)

Last edited:
Sidewinder also makes a good fuel. I used another laser type temp gun from Harbor Freight and I really liked it.