Tmaxx classic rear center drive shaft

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jerhuntr

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hey all! After converting a tmaxx classic to a brushless setup, and slowly working through the twisted driveshafts and stripped gears, I was having trouble locating a steel rear drive shaft. Previously I used traxxas 4949r I believe. Only the rear one works. Front shaft is too short for a classic 2.5. Never was exactly right though. I always thought it was too short, barely in the cups. Finally the wear allowed for it to be dislodged. No other options seem to be sold for this old thing. Odd I have aftermarket ones front and back on a nitro classic. They are perfect fit, have not worn, and are nonexistent in the rc market. Hmm. Found a buff looking savage dogbone. Black steel, 8x78mm. Too long. " To the workbench!" Cut the shaft in half, and mythoticly shortened one half until it was the correct length. A small length of fuel line helped hold the two halves together accurately. I only have a mig welder, and would not have an issue with this doing the job. Small work, alotta heat. But I think it would work. Done a little welding in my day. Alas, the neighbor is a pro tig man. Using aluminum inner angles we were able to keep everything pretty well aligned. I realize this will never be balanced perfectly, but what is on a 20 year old maxx!? Utilizing the inner cup from the traxxas set ( the one that connects to the trans.) and a new extended drive cup on the rear/ diff (5153r), 73mm from center of dog bone end shaft to the center of the opposing end shaft seemed to be the proper length. I never measured the total length outside the balls and to end. Seems the output shaft from the trans is a bit smaller than the input shaft in the diff. Hence the two different cups. Dont know if steel cups are available for the smaller trans. shaft. Maybe traxxas replacements? This length allows for a minimal "freefloat" action with no binding. PERFECT! A dab of cold blu from my gunsmithing bag and we are in business! Thrashed around on the backyard course and all seems to be well. This should be stronger than any traxxas plastic shaft. 3 pad slipper clutch adjusted to slip a bit is a must for this thing. Fun rig. I love the short 2.5 platform and though I am a hardcore nitro burner, the quietness of this thing brings a pleasant smile. Roll on my friends!

Attachments

• 20211120_202438.jpg
    20211120_202438.jpg
    308.6 KB · Views: 140
  • 20211120_142735.jpg
    20211120_142735.jpg
    405.6 KB · Views: 88
Back