Which Nitro Engine Should I Buy??

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Which Nitro Engine Should I Buy?

• Hong Nor Force .21 (3.5cc) Engine - SG Crank - Slide carb

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fastrax ENDURO Twenty One 3-Port Nitro Engine PS

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey guys,
Can I push this thread conversation slightly beyond its original intent briefly ... starting an engine ... looks like I’ll need a starter box for the TrackStar engine .. how do they work? Is there anything “home made” I can make using my lion drill?
Well a starter box spins the Flywheel directly from under the car, you set the car on the box, line the Flywheel up with the little rubber cog on the starter box, and push down and it will spin the engine over, there are adjustable bump stops so to speak so when you adjust em correctly, when you put ur car onto the box, it will line up automatically with the cog. Heres a vid

That ? should help a bit

Hi everyone,
Well I've heard from Horizon and it's official - I can run a pull start engine provided I use the engine mounts which cost a mere £13.99 so I've about made my mind up.

I'm changing tact and going back to the Hong Nor engine because; to me, having to invest in a starter box just seems like extra faff and not what I really want to do.

The vision I had in my head was turning up at the farm, filling the tank with fuel, pulling the starter and off I go … having a starter box just seems like additional things I have to lug about, additional batteries I have to charge and seems like extra expense in the long run. I may or may not be right.

we'll see eh.

The last thing now I need to figure out is if there's anything else I'll need to buy. Does an engine just connect up or will I need to buy some additional bits?

This is how my engine presentation stacks up now .. I think i'm about done with it for now.

Thanks again for the help guys

Attachments

• Engine choices v3.pdf
    602 KB · Views: 271
Hi everyone,
Well I've heard from Horizon and it's official - I can run a pull start engine provided I use the engine mounts which cost a mere £13.99 so I've about made my mind up.

I'm changing tact and going back to the Hong Nor engine because; to me, having to invest in a starter box just seems like extra faff and not what I really want to do.

The vision I had in my head was turning up at the farm, filling the tank with fuel, pulling the starter and off I go … having a starter box just seems like additional things I have to lug about, additional batteries I have to charge and seems like extra expense in the long run. I may or may not be right.

we'll see eh.

The last thing now I need to figure out is if there's anything else I'll need to buy. Does an engine just connect up or will I need to buy some additional bits?

This is how my engine presentation stacks up now .. I think i'm about done with it for now.

An xtra glo-plug you would need!

I was just going to say that ,you don't need a fancy engine for just bashing around the house or farm use only!....:hyperbuggy:

Hi everyone,

we'll see eh.

I don't think you'll need anything else. But I would get a couple extra glow plugs!

to my knowledge, Pilot type cranks are not very commonly used anymore in Big Blocks, i know there are many differences between the 4.0 and the RTR but i would look at what that comes with as far as the flywheel, but it if it does show, would show which type of crank it was designed with in mind. it might even come with flywheel.
you will also need clutchbell, and shoes unless the kit already comes with those.
i am definitely very curious to see how you like that hong nor engine if thats the one you go with.
as far as pull start being preferable, i do agree with this. it is a pain especially when tuning from way off settings and the engine likes to die. have to run back to the starter box or run back and grab the drill to start again.
i did edit this as i didnt clarify well on one of the items.

Hi @Z.hb71
Thanks very much for your response … you aren't the 1st person to mention Novarossi engines .. I will start to have a look.
I am trying to achieve a full build for £800 having already spend £400 on the kit.
I was looking to spend £200 on the RC system and then the other £200 on engine & exhaust.
I've reached out to Horizon Hobby to ask about the engine ... if that's the case that I can't put a pull start engine on the chassis then that might well be that. My assumption has been that provided I'm looking at the same cc (3.5) it should fit regardless what engine .... as it's a kit that doesn't come with an engine I thought i'd be free to make my own choice
If you go with pullstart you need rtr..losi.engine mounts..Novarossi is out of business so parts be hard to find..look up Sirio.s they are also made in Italy n they have engines $150.on up you may want a bump box..makes starting nitro.s way easier.n always preheat motor first..watch youtube..plenty of vids

Hello Losi8rtrB.
This posting is over year old. just thought I would give you a heads-up.