Which Nitro Engine Should I Buy??

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Which Nitro Engine Should I Buy?

• Hong Nor Force .21 (3.5cc) Engine - SG Crank - Slide carb

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fastrax ENDURO Twenty One 3-Port Nitro Engine PS

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Personally I wouldn't cut the chassis. Not worth it. You'll void ur Warranty and pull start motors aren't that good because you loose rpm due to the crank shaft connected to the starter shaft so more drag, and those back plates love to create air leaks, Not good! I'd just get me a bump box and a bump box motor

My thoughts exactly - I am not looking to do any cutting! I'm going to put together a short list of engines that i'm considering and then send them out to Horizon to see what they say ... i'll post them on this thread 1st though

My thoughts exactly - I am not looking to do any cutting! I'm going to put together a short list of engines that i'm considering and then send them out to Horizon to see what they say ... i'll post them on this thread 1st though
Sounds good! ?

That one I had linked was a bump start only engine, there is a .28 version of that engine as well it was about 80$ just a thought. Like I said though no clue on shipping to that side of the pond

That one I had linked was a bump start only engine, there is a .28 version of that engine as well it was about 80$ just a thought. Like I said though no clue on shipping to that side of the pond
Yeah they had a .28 aswell for 78. Personally since I'm a go big or go home type of dude, I'd get the .28 ?

I’m just in the middle of putting my options on a PowerPoint (I work in Automotive which about run everything based on a PowerPoint) and I might add one or two more to the mix than my original 3. If I finish tonight I’ll post it and get your feedback
Thanks all!

@D3MON @Z.hb71 @cbaker65
Here we go … here's the doc I've put together with all my engine options. I'll also send this over to Horizon and get their input but before I do ….what do you all think?

Attachments

• Engine choices.pdf
    463.4 KB · Views: 182
@D3MON @Z.hb71 @cbaker65
Here we go … here's the doc I've put together with all my engine options. I'll also send this over to Horizon and get their input but before I do ….what do you all think?
I'm saying the alpha a club racer with pipe combo because if I'm not wrong, ryan lutz (a nitro racer) designed em so they are definetly good. also it comes with great pipe, iis a bump box engine, has great specs, quality parts, and just looks REALLY nice quality, that don't really mean much but i thought id point it out LOL. even tho its more expensive i say its worth it. oh great job on the powerpoint btw.

@D3MON @Z.hb71 @cbaker65

That Alpha & pipe combo looks like a good deal for a 21!

I know we talked about a 28 size ,but a good brand 21 will also feast your fancy ,
I also like that red headed 21 Ho as I run the old 21 Hyper engines!....

@Z.hb71 @cbaker65
Thanks guys. I threw the Alpha engine in as a wildcard - I was only planning on spending a total of £130 on engine and pipe but since I've been looking at engines my budget has crept up since learning more about things. As my engine budget pushed up I realised that I was knocking on the door of the Alpha so thought it was worth adding as the absolute upper most budget to spend.

I was looking at Jammin Products JP-1 Tuned Pipe Set Hard Coated (https://www.modelsport.co.uk/jammin-products-jp-1-tuned-pipe-set-hard-coated/rc-car-products/423261) to fix to whatever engine I buy.

Thanks guys
Rich

@Z.hb71 @cbaker65
Thanks guys. I threw the Alpha engine in as a wildcard - I was only planning on spending a total of £130 on engine and pipe but since I've been looking at engines my budget has crept up since learning more about things. As my engine budget pushed up I realised that I was knocking on the door of the Alpha so thought it was worth adding as the absolute upper most budget to spend.

I was looking at Jammin Products JP-1 Tuned Pipe Set Hard Coated (https://www.modelsport.co.uk/jammin-products-jp-1-tuned-pipe-set-hard-coated/rc-car-products/423261) to fix to whatever engine I buy.

Thanks guys
Rich
the jp1 is good but if ur going for the alpha that pipe it comes with was picked for that engine becuase it performs the best with it. I'm sure u know that though. Other than the alpha id get the hobao hyper .21 or the fastrax enduro

@D3MON @Z.hb71 @cbaker65
that red head engine on page 3 is that the track star engine? it is a non P/S backplate to it.
i have read the hobao Hyper engines either being really great and people swearing by them or no luck at all, it seems to me though that it might have been more user error in most of what i read. it sucks my local LHS has a Hobao Hyper 21 black head .21 engine with bump start backplate for sale that has been there brand new for at least 3-4 years, that hes trying to sell for $85 USD just to get rid of it.
out of those engines posted id have to agree with them on the Alpha. but it is a Turbo plug engine keep that in mind! different thread. or the hobao (think there is a P/S and non P/S model of it.
the dynamite if going to use P/S.

that said i am really curious on the trac-star.

Hey all, minor modification to my .pdf … here's a bit more info on the TracStar engine and also its in order of cost now.

Attachments

• Engine choices.pdf
    462.9 KB · Views: 178
Hey all, minor modification to my .pdf … here's a bit more info on the TracStar engine and also its in order of cost now.
personally i would skip the dynamite cuz I've seen in a couple vids of them snapping the connecting rod, plus it for how much it is, theres better options in ur list

that is a really nice way to list, and easy for us to determine/compare off of, might have to steal your idea when i need a new one :p
i know SH is a pretty widely utilized engine make, most others are based off of their blueprint(dynamite, Losi, LRP), SH engines themselves are not huge power plants, but good RTR type engines. i think with many of the others on that list, it is probably going to be the least performance minded motor.
Also just noticed it (the SH) looks to be a pilot shaft type crank (shorter and threaded at the end to thread a pilot shaft too that the clutchbell then sits on the pilot shaft), i would personally go for a SG type crank. (longer shaft with smooth bore closer to the end) clutchbell rides on the crank itself.
Pilot shaft types were the standard for awhile there, but nowadays not as common. lower amount of parts and connections.

that is a really nice way to list, and easy for us to determine/compare off of, might have to steal your idea when i need a new one :p
i know SH is a pretty widely utilized engine make, most others are based off of their blueprint(dynamite, Losi, LRP), SH engines themselves are not huge power plants, but good RTR type engines. i think with many of the others on that list, it is probably going to be the least performance minded motor.
Also just noticed it (the SH) looks to be a pilot shaft type crank (shorter and threaded at the end to thread a pilot shaft too that the clutchbell then sits on the pilot shaft), i would personally go for a SG type crank. (longer shaft with smooth bore closer to the end) clutchbell rides on the crank itself.
Pilot shaft types were the standard for awhile there, but nowadays not as common. lower amount of parts and connections.
good pointed the crank thing out :thumbs-up:? you learn something everyday! i didnt know that!

This is what happens when you work in Automotive .. no one tends to take anything seriously unless it's in a powerpoint dec.
It's definitely good for me to have everything I need in one place.
I've done the same thing on the RC system and servos. Although I will say that I've been sucked into Savox servos because of the colour .. the price is good and the spec seems pretty good (I've not compared them to everything on the market I'll be honest) but this style of putting the info down into a dec really helps my understanding.

This is what happens when you work in Automotive .. no one tends to take anything seriously unless it's in a powerpoint dec.
It's definitely good for me to have everything I need in one place.
I've done the same thing on the RC system and servos. Although I will say that I've been sucked into Savox servos because of the colour .. the price is good and the spec seems pretty good (I've not compared them to everything on the market I'll be honest) but this style of putting the info down into a dec really helps my understanding.

When you don't know the products ,or new products that just came out on market ,you shouldn't have to
be the fall guy ,this hobby is way too expensive to be that GUY!....

I don't know nothing about those Hoboa's ,however ,the Ofna Hyper 21's were a descent every day engine an way
better than the Force engine!
I been wanting to get a turbo head an try turbo plugs because I seem to see more good deals on them!

Right all,
@D3MON @Z.hb71 @cbaker65
I'm nearly there. I've made the decision to go with the TrackStar engine. It's cheap and it'll be ideal for me to learn with. It also helps my budget fall back in line and remain under the £800 mark which I'm happy with!
I've updated my engine choices list as well so I've now ranked them 1-7 going on cost.
I've heard back from Losi and they say that any of my choice engines should all fit .. and all it would need for the pull start engines to fil is the following motor mounts: https://www.modelsport.co.uk/losi-engine-mounts-8-8t-rtr/rc-car-products/431980
I've asked the question to them about the difference in output shaft and whether that means any additional parts (as they mentioned the SH engine in their reply) but otherwise this has been a REALLY helpful thread - thanks so much for all your help boys and girls!

Attachments

• Engine choices v2.pdf
    465.5 KB · Views: 173
do not buy this one, it is for example, but this is the pilot shaft type, http://www.activepowersports.com/hp...uuDRXvJjGUS3Y_MDFZx5_ohSa2HzyOGwaAmfDEALw_wcB
again do not buy this one but here is the clutch nut which is used in place of the pilot shaft style
https://www.rcplanet.com/rc-parts/r-c-car-truck-parts/ecx-clutch-nut-v2-nitro-revenge-ecx0993/
note how the output shaft from the crank is shorter on the SH engine, the pilot shaft is there to extend the shaft for the clutchbell to ride on, and act as a clutch nut on those type of cranks.
notice on the trackstar how the output is longer and has a smooth bore for the clutchbell bearings to ride on and only requires a clutch nut to tighten the flywheel to the crank.

Hey guys,
Can I push this thread conversation slightly beyond its original intent briefly ... starting an engine ... looks like I’ll need a starter box for the TrackStar engine .. how do they work? Is there anything “home made” I can make using my lion drill?