Which Nitro Engine Should I Buy??

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Which Nitro Engine Should I Buy?

• Hong Nor Force .21 (3.5cc) Engine - SG Crank - Slide carb

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fastrax ENDURO Twenty One 3-Port Nitro Engine PS

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RicoBanderez

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hi all,

I've narrowed down my choice of engines to 3 and I'd like some opinions on what I should buy.

Background:
Level: beginner
Confidence: reasonable (am a mechanical engineer big block Chev V8 racing engine experience)
RC Car: Losi 8ight 4.0 4WD Buggy kit
Budget: low-medium

Here's the choices:
Hong Nor Force .21 (3.5cc) Engine - SG Crank - Slide carb - £84.99
Fastrax ENDURO Twenty One 3-Port Nitro Engine PS - £114.99
Dynamite .21 RTR Engine W/PS - £114.99

I originally went for the Hong Nor as it was the cheapest within my price range but I don't want to buy any cheap stuff...

WHAT WOULD YOU ALL RECOMMEND?

casting my vote for the dynamite, mainly because that is the only engine company up there that i have had experience with.
the Mach .26 dynamite engine in my LST screams.

Hi all,

I've narrowed down my choice of engines to 3 and I'd like some opinions on what I should buy.

Background:
Level: beginner
Confidence: reasonable (am a mechanical engineer big block Chev V8 racing engine experience)
RC Car: Losi 8ight 4.0 4WD Buggy kit
Budget: low-medium

Here's the choices:
Hong Nor Force .21 (3.5cc) Engine - SG Crank - Slide carb - £84.99
Fastrax ENDURO Twenty One 3-Port Nitro Engine PS - £114.99
Dynamite .21 RTR Engine W/PS - £114.99

I originally went for the Hong Nor as it was the cheapest within my price range but I don't want to buy any cheap stuff...

WHAT WOULD YOU ALL RECOMMEND?
Out of your choices id get the fastrax. But allow me to state my opinion, personally, i wouldn't get get any of those becuase a they are rtr level and cheap-ish quality (dunno about the fastrax cuz I've never heard of em) in my experience. IF i were you id save for a novarossi. But hey, your choice, your money, I'm just stating my opinion :thumbs-up: also I'm not sure exactly how your gunna put a pull start motor into a 4.0 buggy kit, they only except bump box motors
heres sum novarossi engines that arent far from your original price range (114 pounds)
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Novarossi-P5-XLT/202434754167?hash=item2f220d3677:g:eHoAAOSwtRlbmOKF
https://answer-rc.com/en/2934-novarossi-live-loco-21-buggy-engine-3-port-long-stroke.html

Last edited:
Hi @Z.hb71
Thanks very much for your response … you aren't the 1st person to mention Novarossi engines .. I will start to have a look.
I am trying to achieve a full build for £800 having already spend £400 on the kit.
I was looking to spend £200 on the RC system and then the other £200 on engine & exhaust.
I've reached out to Horizon Hobby to ask about the engine ... if that's the case that I can't put a pull start engine on the chassis then that might well be that. My assumption has been that provided I'm looking at the same cc (3.5) it should fit regardless what engine .... as it's a kit that doesn't come with an engine I thought i'd be free to make my own choice

Hi @Z.hb71
Thanks very much for your response … you aren't the 1st person to mention Novarossi engines .. I will start to have a look.
I am trying to achieve a full build for £800 having already spend £400 on the kit.
I was looking to spend £200 on the RC system and then the other £200 on engine & exhaust.
I've reached out to Horizon Hobby to ask about the engine ... if that's the case that I can't put a pull start engine on the chassis then that might well be that. My assumption has been that provided I'm looking at the same cc (3.5) it should fit regardless what engine .... as it's a kit that doesn't come with an engine I thought i'd be free to make my own choice
OK, tell us what Horizon Hobby says about the pull start thing.

did pull this out of the manual from the losi site on the 8ight T,

Page 3 in this link:
http://www.losi.com/ProdInfo/Files/LOS04010-LOS04011-Exploded-View.pdf

did pull this out of the manual from the losi site on the 8ight T,
View attachment 118561
Page 3 in this link:
http://www.losi.com/ProdInfo/Files/LOS04010-LOS04011-Exploded-View.pdf
that's the 8t rtr, they are very different. first because the 8t is a truggy and second, those motor mounts are designed for a pull start. The kits are race kits and the motor mounts are meant for bump boxes from what i can see. Also i do like bump boxes becuase they reduce the chance of air leaks becuase they are sealed better than a pull start backplate.

This is all my 0.02$ but id go for a cheaper/one of the above engines as your first, just starting into nitro and not really having experience tuning. (videos help immensely but its alot different when its yourself doing it) and then eventually when the first one burns up, upgrade to the higher end engines. also that way with a little lower powered non race engines you will get a better feel for the trucks handling so when you do upgrade it will be a bit more controllable.

just my thoughts but i have a weird way of looking at stuff.

that's the 8t rtr, they are very different. first because the 8t is a truggy and second, those motor mounts are designed for a pull start. The kits are race kits and the motor mounts are meant for bump boxes from what i can see. Also i do like bump boxes becuase they reduce the chance of air leaks becuase they are sealed better than a pull start backplate.
yup noticed that now lol thanks for pointing that out, was just the only one i saw from their main page, but would those motor mounts not work on the 4.0? would stand the engine off the chassis further for the backplate to sit higher.
i have not yet had experiences with bump boxes as of yet, i dont really even like dragging my drill around for roto start let alone a bump box lol. they do have their advantages not denying them that. and if i were trying to race or speed runs i probably would swap over but for just bashing, sealing the backplate only takes a few minutes.

yup noticed that now lol thanks for pointing that out, was just the only one i saw from their main page, but would those motor mounts not work on the 4.0? would stand the engine off the chassis further for the backplate to sit higher.
i have not yet had experiences with bump boxes as of yet, i dont really even like dragging my drill around for roto start let alone a bump box lol. they do have their advantages not denying them that. and if i were trying to race or speed runs i probably would swap over but for just bashing, sealing the backplate only takes a few minutes.
i do not think those motor mount would work as the rtr 8t and 8b are based off the 3.0 chassis, the race kits are the 4.0 and are way different and better quality. could be wrong but as of now I've havent seen someone use a pull start engine on a 4.0

Hi @D3MON and @Z.hb71
Thanks so much for the back and forth - I will let you know what Horizon come back with. They are usually pretty good at coming back via facebook messanger so I've dropped them a line.
I like the thought of a cheap engine to get into things with and is part of the reason I originally went for the Hong Nor version. For £85 I'm quite happy to learn how to run them in, tune and also rag the daylights out of it :)
Thanks guys

Hi @D3MON and @Z.hb71
Thanks so much for the back and forth - I will let you know what Horizon come back with. They are usually pretty good at coming back via facebook messanger so I've dropped them a line.
I like the thought of a cheap engine to get into things with and is part of the reason I originally went for the Hong Nor version. For £85 I'm quite happy to learn how to run them in, tune and also rag the daylights out of it :)
Thanks guys
i actually do agree with @D3MON becuase since you don't really have any experience with nitro, id get the hong nor, dirt cheap and you can learn on it and beat the heck out of it and when ur ready you can get a nicer engine.

so i know that its not on the list but I've seen this engine and kind of wanted to test it myself, from what i can see on the reviews it doesn't seem to be bad compared to RTR type engines not a high end one definitely. it is bump start only though, the piston and sleeve is about 20$ through new egg.
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/trackstar-seg-21-two-stroke-glow-racing-engine-for-car.html
Sleeve piston: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA6XU2C46336&ignorebbr=1&source=region&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleMKP-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleMKP-PC-_-pla-Alturn+USA-_-Toys+-+RC+Servos,+Gyros+&+Control+Systems-_-9SIA6XU2C46336&gclid=CjwKCAjwhbHlBRAMEiwAoDA34xsRHunRTeOWHsiOmVp2ARNmlJYrhd9S5VFZWqAYloXF5LPTHvdjWRoCvlUQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
from what i can read it is based off the "GO Engine" base. at around 60$ and weirdly free shipping at least to the states dont know how much to get to your side of the pond.
might be a good first one, might not.
i know probably gonna get some flak for not recommending name brand ones but some cheap stuff is good some cheap stuff is well.. not good!

so i know that its not on the list but I've seen this engine and kind of wanted to test it myself, from what i can see on the reviews it doesn't seem to be bad compared to RTR type engines not a high end one definitely. it is bump start only though, the piston and sleeve is about 20$ through new egg.
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/trackstar-seg-21-two-stroke-glow-racing-engine-for-car.html
Sleeve piston: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA6XU2C46336&ignorebbr=1&source=region&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleMKP-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleMKP-PC-_-pla-Alturn+USA-_-Toys+-+RC+Servos,+Gyros+&+Control+Systems-_-9SIA6XU2C46336&gclid=CjwKCAjwhbHlBRAMEiwAoDA34xsRHunRTeOWHsiOmVp2ARNmlJYrhd9S5VFZWqAYloXF5LPTHvdjWRoCvlUQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
from what i can read it is based off the "GO Engine" base. at around 60$ and weirdly free shipping at least to the states dont know how much to get to your side of the pond.
might be a good first one, might not.
i know probably gonna get some flak for not recommending name brand ones but some cheap stuff is good some cheap stuff is well.. not good!
I'm curious on this aswell. the specs are good but you never really know until you run it. it looks very very similar (the crankcase not the head) to the SH.21, which if iit is a rebranded SH, it can't be horrible, my sh.21 waas a trooper! i beat that thing hard until after 5 months (it was already beaten up before me) the bearings seized. also after watching a vid on it, looks pretty powerful
EDIT: i meant "my sh.28" i didnt have a 21, TYPO

Last edited:
Hi @D3MON and @Z.hb71
So I've somewhat heard back from Horizon .. they said that I could fit an engine with a pull start but I'd need to modify (cut) the chassis a bit to accommodate the pull start back plate and I'd need motor mounts … https://www.horizonhobby.com/engine-mounts--8-8t-rtr-los241015
I've gone back to them again to try to get some more information from them about what my engine options actually are.
I'm still not really sure what I can actually buy but I'm now looking for options that don't have pull starts as I don't really want to be cutting into the chassis .. I'd still like my warranty to be in place!
Rich

Hi @D3MON and @Z.hb71
So I've somewhat heard back from Horizon .. they said that I could fit an engine with a pull start but I'd need to modify (cut) the chassis a bit to accommodate the pull start back plate and I'd need motor mounts … https://www.horizonhobby.com/engine-mounts--8-8t-rtr-los241015
I've gone back to them again to try to get some more information from them about what my engine options actually are.
I'm still not really sure what I can actually buy but I'm now looking for options that don't have pull starts as I don't really want to be cutting into the chassis .. I'd still like my warranty to be in place!
Rich

The only thing that I see that will prevent you from installing a pull start ,is maybe the engine mount & that
chassy brace!
That is probably a low profile engine mount ,so the engine mount would have to be changed!

If you have to cut ,you can buy an xtra chassy from a chop shop ,but then if you have to buy xtra stuff ,
then ,you may as well just get a non pull start & bump box!....:cool:

Here is what I have been looking at ,I know Losi has been designing stuff for low profile for better center of gravity!

So ,a starter most likely will bottom out on the chassy ,so a slightly taller mount might work with slightly channeling
out the material on the chassy!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/losi-4-0-8...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Here is one with an engine ,it shows plenty of clearance for a starter behind the engine.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Losi-8ight...580056?hash=item1ccdaa6318:g:2WsAAOSwCtJcpmhk

Personally I wouldn't cut the chassis. Not worth it. You'll void ur Warranty and pull start motors aren't that good because you loose rpm due to the crank shaft connected to the starter shaft so more drag, and those back plates love to create air leaks, Not good! I'd just get me a bump box and a bump box motor

Personally I wouldn't cut the chassis. Not worth it. You'll void ur Warranty and pull start motors aren't that good because you loose rpm due to the crank shaft connected to the starter shaft so more drag, and those back plates love to create air leaks, Not good! I'd just get me a bump box and a bump box motor

That's what I would do as well if I was in his position!....:thumbs-up: