Which motor for homemade RC?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Which motor?

• Brushed

• brushless

Results are only viewable after voting.
This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Randomaker

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hi. I'm very new to hobby grade RCs and I have no idea what I am doing. I am thinking of building my own car from scratch. I'm thinking around 1/10 scale because my friend is buying one and I want mine to be somewhat similar to his. I have selected 2 of the cheapest motors I can find, one brushless, one brushed.
Brushless-
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/sp-024350-01-rc-car-motors-4800kv.html
Brushed-
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/540-6527-brushed-motor-90w.html
Which one would be better? Is it worth the extra money to get brushless, or is the brushless one actually way underpowered(which it probobally is) and the only option is to go with the brushed? Thanks!

rando.. That motor you listed in brushless .i think its for a 1/16 or 1/18 scale due to its 2mm shaft.. Id look 4 a 1/8" shaft. forgot the metric size think its 3.175mm.. and Id go sensored you will find you have zero cogging with the sensor it will be alot more than 7.61 $ also a 540 size can..

rando.. That motor you listed in brushless .i think its for a 1/16 or 1/18 scale due to its 2mm shaft.. Id look 4 a 1/8" shaft. forgot the metric size think its 3.2mm.. and Id go sensored you will find you have zero cogging with the sensor it will be alot more than 7.61 $
Id rather not spend much more than $10 for the motor if possible. I'm not looking to build the best RC car ever, just something that works enough to be fun.

Ok do what you want just remember that pinion gears are not standard or have smaller size motor shaft holes.

you will find out if you cheapo on electronics after replacing them 2-3-4 x for same thing ,the light might go off but any ways ...live n learn or bail n run. dont matter to me I have my pole barn full of rc...