where to begin

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tnfooser

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
In need of some advice.4 years later just walked back in our local hobby town to get parts for a nitro truggy n got hook on the crawler on the shelf but i need some input before i buy or build, i'm not racing or comp.just crawling hard core back yard playing. I no off the shelf will not do but I don't want to go all in just yet.looking at starting around 600. or so to get in, radio to.. any advice will help good or bad..
thank Jesse

It sounds to me like the Axial RTC (ready to crawl) with a few mods might be right up your alley for what you want to do, I would recommend things like getting lipo batteries that can be placed on the front axle by using a STRC front 4-link/servo/battery mount plate, and a STRC rear 4-link plate, some Delrin lower links, that will get you started.

East End Machining has really nice parts and great customer service.
http://www.eastendmachining.com/axpafreaendm.html
http://www.eastendmachining.com/doretrskde.html
http://www.eastendmachining.com/st4liandbase.html
http://www.eastendmachining.com/st4liplblst.html

You might also look at the Losi Mini Rock Crawler. Its got everything to run in the box and its a good size for most back yards.

Whats the preferred setup 2 motor like on the berg 2.2 axle or driveline setup,, If you had a pick which one to start with---from scratch, as a newbee i don't no, I get mixed feelings from the local hobby store here on building n buying, The 2 they have on the shelf a losi mini and night crawler are rtr and a axial kit w/no elet...or just build 1 from ground up with everyone's help on here. Theres no real crawling around here yet so the ? and anwsers are limited to few that have them and they work @the store and i get the feeling they don't want to be out done.. so i may have to go ALL IN on this one..

crawlers

18th or mini crawlers - good on base/softball size rock or indoor man-made course.

all these 2.2 rigs have artr versions and are awesome on just about everything...
berg
axial
rc4wd
losi

and there are thousands of upgrades to match any ability/budget...

look at my pic's/albums and you can see the difference in abilities.

laterz
hacker

If you some day plan on going to comps I would say go with a MOA rig like the Berg or Bully, other wise I would go with the one I suggested earlier, or the night crawler, I am not a big fan of the 1.9 mini crawlers as they are very limited on what they can crawl over. Just a FYI your budget is going to need to grow if you want to build a rig from the ground up with quality parts and electronics.

Berg roller is $350 then you still need tires 30+, foams 20+, body 20+, motors X2 40+, ESC 75+, LiPo batteries at least 2 30+, 3 channel Radio with a 3 position channel 200+, some sort of dig switch 65+, steering servo 90+, and a lipo compatible battery charger/balancer 20+. Misc. wire and connectors 20+. You will need most of these things with any of the ARTR crawlers, but you will end up with a quality rig that will crawl well.

if you want go all out, build it its pretty easy get some bully axles stick chassis electronics wheels n tires and you'll be ready to dominate with a little practice :first_place:

I've been looking at the newage crl 101 rig and maybe novak m2dig setup not sure, but i do want to build or buy like i'am going to comp. and the budget can grow.
thanks for the info

hello everyone again i had to put the crawler on hold for awhile but just got back from the hobby shop today with 1/10 losi comp, novak goat esc,novak pro ss 18.5 motor,rrp 48p 12t gear,hobbico cs170 titanium gear steering servo,hitec hs 225mg servo for the dig,7.40v 2,100mah lipo, futaba 3pm 2.4ghz ss controller n receiver. starting the build tonight wish me luck n I may need the boards help, thanks jesse.

You are starting off right!!! Does the Goat handle 3s? If not then you should save up for a different esc, one that will cuz you will end up wanting 3s imo. Other than that, your off to a great start!

They actually make a 3s goat esc now, that would be the one to go with if you want to go the brushless route which seems the way to go in the LCC...but I have seen the LCC with a 2s goat and it had pretty good wheel speed.

this goat esc will handle brush n brushless motors, iam going with the brushless setup,
not for sure what the 3s is though.

well i just about got it together ran it alittle in the living room,i still have to set the dig servo and learn n setup the controller then outside we go...

Wheres the pics?

I will try to post some pics tonight,I still have to paint the body n clean up the wiring alittle.

some pic.s of the new first time build

Attachments

• DSCN2130.jpg
    DSCN2130.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 122
  • DSCN2140.jpg
    DSCN2140.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 135
  • DSCN2134.jpg
    DSCN2134.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 139
  • DSCN2149.jpg
    DSCN2149.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 106
do you run a servo saver on crawlers n anything you see wrong in the pic.s that i've done please by all means tell me this is all new to me. WOW n damn this controller has to many buttons and settings ..... lmao

No most people do not run servo savers on crawlers, and your over all set up looks nice, I am sure some of the Losi guys can give you suggestions with your set up that will make it crawl better.

Back