When did you get into R/C?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luke66

Hardcore RCTalk User
Hospitality Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
  3. Crawling
random question, when did everyone here get into the hobby? I've been going for about 5 years, sence i was 9. maybe i was a little young for a traxxas slash.......

Started Christmas of 2015, got my slash 2wd, thanks to my uncle. Bashing that around, everything stayed stock / OEM replacement parts until 2020-21 ish, thats when I got really into it, as I got my rusty. Early 2022, got the Mini B, started to go to the track like 2 times every month, with the mini b, slash, rusty. Late 2022 for my 14th bday, got the associated buggy, getting into racing, first race grade kit, first kit, first 4 wheel car, deff a learning curve, Summer of 2023, going to the track for racing almost every thursday. Now dragging my uncle back into racing which his xray, which he sold his short course trucks back in 2017, and got out of racing in 2018, since the old track/club was new people, stock racing instead of mod, ect. He only does RC when I drag him down. I would say I didn't really get into it late of 2022 since I got the buggy, and I upgraded it all to brushless motors / escs, ect. Now, tempting to sell the slash, and get a used 4 wheel sct or truggy, or 2wd buggy, idk yet. Getting more into the racing side of things, would be more into bashing if I had more friends to bash with, and if I had durable cars.
i was 9. maybe i was a little young for a traxxas slash.......
I was 7 when I got mine.

Well, hobby grade Xmas of 2015. When I was younknow like 3 4 5 I had like cheap Walmart ones. Joy stock transitter, semi long stick antenna. Yea those ones. I think one was a police dodge charger back in 2012. But all that stuff, don't count.

Back in the 80's. Tamiya Blackfoot then a few RC10'S. A Serpent 1/8 nitro 4wd road car. RC12 for winter indoor carpet racing. A couple more RC10'S and an RC500. Now a Bolink oval car, a first gen T-Maxx, a first gen E-Maxx, a ProBoat Impulse 31 and a Kyosho Sanibel sailboat.

"Back in '82, I could throw a Super Champ a quarter mile."

Actually, 1986 for me. Started with a Varicom Big Grizzly, then snagged a Clod Buster a few months after they first became available. ('87? '88?)

I started with a Tamiya Terra Scorcher in 1989. When I put on smaller/lowered foam tires it was an AWD parking lot beast!
1694485638690.jpeg

I had this ZZ Top Cadzilla body on it, but dark green. Good aerodynamics!
1694487199691.jpeg

Then in 1990 I built a Team Associated RC10 converted to a stadium truck, followed by a RC10T. I raced offroad for 2 years.
The problem was that until TA came out with the Stealth Transmission in the RC10T I could never gear the RC10 with big truck tires low enough to finish a 5 min race. I still won the championship without finishing races by placing 2nd or 3rd nearly every race.
At that time my brother bought a pair of 2 speed nitro HPI Porsche's and gave me one. Then I raced at the on-road track nearby.
I found a ancient pic of the RC10T with the Porsche body!
RC.Porsche.1.jpg

RC.Porsche.2.jpg

About 3 years ago I got back into the hobby with a RC18T2 just for LOL's. It was cool, but too small & not fast enough.
RC18T2-RTR_product_746x150.jpg

Last year at Christmas 2022 I bought a Team Associated Pro4: SC10 and I love driving it & wrenching on it.
Pro-Line-Prism-Z3-tires-White-wheels.jpg

Last edited:
@Chubaka Sorry I don’t have any pics of my TMaxx. My nephew is into RC and he fell in love with it. So…. he is the proud owner now. It’s ok, he’s a good kid 😎

First 2 years I had the maxx. I bashed it pretty hard every week without any sort of maintenance. Sometimes I didn't even clean it🥲. But out of nothing, maybe a year ago, I bought my second hand nitro savage. After seeing all the problems that these nitro's can have, that's when I realised there was way more to it😂

I've always been into toy-grade, ever since my first, a Tyco Zombie. But hobby-grade was actually around 2019, my first being a Redcat Shredder.

Back