Whats wrong with this tip?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i fail to see the flaw, though i dont use that tip either. good carbon fiber shouldnt delaminate.

It should be held togethor and not tear apart. It should be felxible???

Ahhh....they seem to want to use "graphite" and "carbon fiber" interchangeably. And they are NOT one and the same....

I'm guessing we're splitting hairs as to what is Carbon Fibre and what is Graphite???
or the layering being able to tear away like a crumple zone???
or the fact they don't mention sanding the edges first???
I'm stumped man what is it?

Isnt that carbon fiber in the pic, and the article is for graphite?

Ok... I didn't read any of the reply's yet, but I'm guessing they should be saying carbon fiber and not graphite.

Graphite is formed in a mold like normal plastic parts. It's basically a higher graphite to plastic ratio to make it more rigid.

Carbon fiber is the stuff that's laminated like plywood in layers.

And they have carbon fiber in the pic... while they are talking about graphite.

Do I win anything?

Although, Horizon says this losi chassis is a graphite chassis:
2005-0620-LosiGraphiteChassis.jpg

These are arms I used to buy for my xxx-nt... they don't look like their chassis... but are also graphite?
2005-0620-LosiGraphiteArms.jpg

Last edited:
IMO, Both Candy and Zandor are correct.
The Editor of the Mag thinks differently.
I saw the tip and thought I missed something that I should be doing. Then I saw the picture of a CF chassis.
In my quest to be as helpful as I can to the hobby I brought it to their attention.

I made this post to see if maybe I was using my terminology incorrectly, not to start anything. I love their mag. Its one of the few that trys to present the facts as they are and not as their advertisers think they should.

FastEddy said:
GRAPHITE SEAL
JANUARY 2005 // Issue #110
http://www.rc411.com/pages/quicktips.php?tip=5
Shouldn't this be for Carbon Fiber (CF) not Graphite?
Just wondering..
-Ed

DerekB said:
I think technically yes, but Graphite is commonly used as a term for the woven chassis.

carbon fiber
n.
An extremely strong thin fiber made by pyrolyzing synthetic fibers, such as rayon, until charred. It is used to make high-strength composites.

FastEddy said:
I gues so???
With that explanation it would be the same as giving your GF / wife a hunk of coal on a gold band and calling it a diamond.Its all made of the same stuff isn't it?

Do yourself and readers a favor. Go grab a "Graphite" TC3 chassis from the shop and see if the tip applies to this part. Then go grab one made of CF.

Your tip needs to address the average reader who takes it Verbatim the way its written. Better yet, just ask the next person you see to go get a graphite part from the shop and see what they bring back. Just trying to help.

I agree, their mag comes accross as very unbiased. I really enjoy reading it and feel as though I'm getting a fellow bashers opinion instead of a sales pitch.
But even good people write wrong info on occasion.

Not me though, I'm perfect!

Some may say "to-may-to" and some say 'to-mah-to". Unfortunately an awful lot of manufacturers and RCers use the terms interchageably. I do believe that graphite and carbon fiber should be different. Like in the pics that olds put up. It is a bit misleading especially when shops don't post a good pic. When I see "graphite", I think of the plastic composite made with graphite embedded in it. And "carbon fiber" is the woven stuff.

So true.
I can just see someone getting a set of graphite A-Arms for their XXX-NT and spreading CA glue on the edges.

I know If I ordered a graphite part from a description and got CF I would be on the phone.

)-well. I just thought I was missing something and was trying to get it striate in my own mind.

OK guys, now would you want to do that to a carbon fiber piece????

I have worked with carbon fiber a bit in my aircraft. I could see mine messing up. On these parts they would make one sheet and cut several parts out of it? The epoxy should be impegnated into the carbon fiber prety good, right? :shrug:

On cars, impact can chip the corners or edges of the CF. I like to sand the edge off and seal then with CA. It keeps them from chipping and pealing. Its truly a good tip for CF parts.

I remember CF sheets in the 80s being called graphite sheets as well....
I rode for a small snowboard company called identity, they designed some wonder material called "carbonite"...it was a moldable carbon composite...they made their entire snowboards from it..no core...plus spin wheels for bicycles...the 2 terms seem to apply to the basic material being used....the term Fiber (to me) would imply a cloth like material...hence the only thing differentiating the 2 items in question here.....maybe to people who have been around it long enough they refer to it as graphite fiber????
there has to be some basis for this as it seems very common for people involved in the usage and design of products made from the stuff.....
WOW this is 2 new things to fill my mind w/ something to ponder in 2 days....first the shock question now this....you guys are hurting my head....stop the insanity......going to boke a smowl and relax......