What T Maxx have I got here?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

easy rider

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
I bought this truck sight unseen. I’m not sure what I’ve got though. The whole throttle linkage is different than anything I can find for a TMaxx. And, I’m not sure what motor it has in it.

The exhaust is dumped through the bottom of the chassis as well. It looks like the header is coming off the side of the block as well.

I picked it up for a decent price. I was thinking it was a 2.5 based on the photos from the seller. But it might be a .15. But, that throttle linkage setup is something I’ve never saw before.

Anyways, I’m new to this and was looking for a project truck and thought it’d be a good one to tinker with. The price was right too. But, it’s on its way and I won’t get to see it until Thursday. And, I’m not even sure it’s a stock Traxxas motor. So, I’m hoping to get some insight from the ecpietence here.

Thanks a head of time.

IMG_3544.png

I think I just figured out it’s a .15. Correct me if I’m wrong. Thanks ahead of time

Last edited:
Welcome to the site

Can you post more pics? It might be a smart tech tmaxx clone. Probably not due to traxxas servos, but possibly.

The .15 and 2.5 difference is the arm width. This motor is not a Traxxas. More chassis pics ND a pic of the engine block will help.

That is one way of eliminating the servo getting stuck wide open!

After looking at it, it does look like a traxxas pro.15 block. That head is not. The air filter is hpi or similar. Tra4060 is the filter assembly you need before running. You will need air filter oil also.

I can get more pics Thursday. That’s the best pic I had of the ones I obtained.

I’m new to nitro RC’s for the most part. But, I do own a 3.3 TMaxx and just bought and broke in another for my son. So, I’m good on the filter oil and after run oil.

It’s supposed to be here Thursday. I’ll post more pics when it gets here. Thanks for the reply. All others welcome.

All good. The air filter from .15 to 2.5/3.3 is different as is the heads and headers. The mufflers can be swapped.

I have .15 and 2.5 tmaxx. Always wanted a 3.3 since I fixed one in 2011.

Thanks for the parts number on the filter assembly. If it’s a Traxxas motor, that’ll save me another thread or an hour trying to search it out.

Yeah, that throttle setup is something else. I’m kinda anxious to see it work. The previous owner might be on to something. 😁

Yes, the 3.3’s are a nice package. Keep your eyes out. Nitro is coming back around here. And, a lot of these new to nitro people think it’s like their car. However, when they realize it’s not as simple, they just want some money back to buy a RC that requires little dedication.

I bought another 3.3 today for a close friend for less than $250.
It was so new it didn’t have a tank put through it yet. Poor guy bought it for his 12 year old son. Realized his mistake and was just looking to recoup the money he spent on an electric RC to replace the new TMaxx with. Lots of deals out there.

Anyways, thanks again and I’ll get sone pics up as soon as I receive it.

Whats up the Tmaxx is definitely a awesome truck. The Tmaxx 2.5 was my first nitro when it came out in 2002. Also built the Tmaxx 3.3 since I had the engine. Buy the 2.5 drive live wouldn't handle it. So just built a 3.3 hahaha, I also built a Emaxx with a revo 2.0 transmission in it. Hahaha. But there really isn't that big of a difference between all the trx engines.

Like @Chubaka said that looks like the original Tmaxx .15 (4910) that came out in 1999. How the heck is that throttle linkage hooked up. And you could use any 1/10 air filter on that engine really.

Does it turn over? Still have good compression? Be sweet to see the ole girl running.. how long has it been sitting. If you can post other pic from the top looking over it. Would like to see how that linkage is set up.

It's definitely a traxxas .15. It's the only nitro engine traxxas made that had side exhaust I believe. But this is the place to be for a Tmaxx there'd a couple of us that have and like thos trucks. Any questions post and ask away..

More pics Thursday. Not sure on the engine. Guy I bought it from got it at an estate sale and knows nothing about RC cars. Much less nitro RC cars.

I will definitely get some more pics up as soon as I get it. Thanks.

More pics Thursday. Not sure on the engine. Guy I bought it from got it at an estate sale and knows nothing about RC cars. Much less nitro RC cars.

I will definitely get some more pics up as soon as I get it. Thanks.
You could be rite about it being a Tmaxx 2.5, it definitely has all the right parts and look. The 2.5 exhuast dumps out the bottom. The throttle linkages is unique for sure.

The .15 does have the side exhaust. That's a different cooling head then the original. 15 head. Definitely will be a good project truck. Tons of part out there for the Tmaxx.. happy bashing bud..👍

Well, as usual in todays world, this is yet another example of over pay with under performance. For the last 6 months, I’ve watched paid for delivery dates push back by the day with carriers. All carriers.

You receive a tracking number and a delivery date. And, the day of the delivery, you check the status to see the delivery date has been pushed farther out.

I’m certain there is a reason for it. But, I’m also tired of paying premium prices and receiving subpar results. I wish lawyers, doctors, politicians, and shipping carriers had to stand for their work. Like all other fields of employment do.

Rant over. The trucks not coming until Saturday. I’ll get sone pics up so I can get sone help determine what I’ve got. Thanks fellas.

Well, as usual in todays world, this is yet another example of over pay with under performance. For the last 6 months, I’ve watched paid for delivery dates push back by the day with carriers. All carriers.

You receive a tracking number and a delivery date. And, the day of the delivery, you check the status to see the delivery date has been pushed farther out.

I’m certain there is a reason for it. But, I’m also tired of paying premium prices and receiving subpar results. I wish lawyers, doctors, politicians, and shipping carriers had to stand for their work. Like all other fields of employment do.

Rant over. The trucks not coming until Saturday. I’ll get sone pics up so I can get sone help determine what I’ve got. Thanks fellas.
Oh man!! I think we all know the pain and disappointment your feeling. Shipping anything is a joke these days. Things never come or show up when they are expected too.

But in the same sentence. This is how it is, when I order parts or anything else that is RC related..hahaha
Screenshot_20210918-074738_Chrome.jpg

As has become the standard, the tracking now shows that an emergency or severe weather has caused the package to be delayed. It didn’t show up today and UPS has it in my hometown. They’ve had it since Friday. And, it hasn’t rained here since Tuesday.

You just gotta love it.

As has become the standard, the tracking now shows that an emergency or severe weather has caused the package to be delayed. It didn’t show up today and UPS has it in my hometown. They’ve had it since Friday. And, it hasn’t rained here since Tuesday.

You just gotta love it.
Wow that's crazy bud sorry to hear that. You'll be even more excited when it gets there.. good things come to those who wait...👍👍

The throttle king is here!!!! The motor is seized as well as the carb. But, the linkage seems pretty smooth until you get to the last link attaching to the carb.

It’s actually in really good shape. Just needs a cleaning. Steering servo seems smooth. The only problem I seem to have it the spur gear just spins. I’m not sure what’s up there. Maybe something broke in the transmission. I’ll see. It’s going to need a new tank too.

I’m pretty sure it’s not a Traxxas motor. It’s a very small motor too. I just walked in. I’ll get the tank off if it here in a bit and get sone more pics up.

IMG_3566.jpeg

IMG_3565.jpeg

IMG_3564.jpeg

IMG_3563.jpeg

It’s an OS motor.

Attachments

• IMG_3567.jpeg
    IMG_3567.jpeg
    162 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
The spinning spur is normal. It has a rpm clutch that grabs first gear then that gear has a clutch to go into second.

Awesome. The motor was stuck at tdc. It’s no longer stuck. The piston walls are flawless. It’s very tight. The only problem I having currently is two of the back plate screws are stripped.

I’ve sprayed it well through the exhaust port, carb, and on top. It is moving pretty good. But, I’d like to get the back plate off. Any ideas?
I’ve worked a lot of wd40 through it through the carb. I keep getting it pretty full and letting it set, then dump it out. Sone pretty dirty oil is coming out. So, I’m going for round four of doing that.

Any ideas on getting this carb off. It’s still seized. I’m trying not to just get pliers and pull it off. Maybe that’s the correct way. The set screw is out.

The motor has great compression if the pop I’m getting as it passes the intake port is any indicator. It’s spinning nice now. But, I’ve got to get that carb off and freed up. All advice is welcome.

Attachments

• IMG_3574.jpeg
    IMG_3574.jpeg
    177.8 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_3573.jpeg
    IMG_3573.jpeg
    188.3 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_3570.jpeg
    IMG_3570.jpeg
    196.6 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_3569.jpeg
    IMG_3569.jpeg
    223.8 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_3571.jpeg
    IMG_3571.jpeg
    166.7 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
I’m assuming an is 18 or 15 cvr. And, I’ve got the carb in seizes and operating well. Waiting on a carb boot and tank now. I’m pretty dang happy about how it’s went so far.

IMG_3575.jpeg

Last edited:
Update. Got the tank clean. I’m assuming whoever had this truck had tried putting a new lid on the tank. He didn’t get the screw through both tank flanges. After removing the lid, all the bones are solid. He just missed the first side. So, I got all the gelled up fuel out, cleaned and washed it. And ensured it flows well with pressure. Now, I’m awaiting the carb boot. I’d liked to got the back plate off but, I’ve got it freed up and it pouring clean out out after turning it over and letting it set for 20 minutes or so. So, I’m going with it for now. I’ll keep you updated once I get the boot and get it back together.

IMG_3576.jpeg

Also, if any of you guys have any tips on things I should do while I’ve got it apart, I’ll gladly take them.
It deserves a pic with the body installed. It’s going to be a nice truck.

Attachments

• IMG_3577.jpeg
    IMG_3577.jpeg
    503.6 KB · Views: 24
Last edited: