What's The Smallest Battery Safe For 1/5 RC Car

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reddley

RC Newbie
Reaction score
I'm looking to build a 1/5th scale RC Truggy and Its going to use a Max5 or 6 with a 7200w 890kv 180a max brushless motor running 8s instead of its recommended 10s and I'm looking for the smallest battery capacity to run for weight reasons but to still have a good 15 to 30 minute run time and the battery to never puff. I'm planning on running two 4s packs in series by the way.

I'm looking to build a 1/5th scale RC Truggy and Its going to use a Max5 or 6 with a 7200w 890kv 180a max brushless motor running 8s instead of its recommended 10s and I'm looking for the smallest battery capacity to run for weight reasons but to still have a good 15 to 30 minute run time and the battery to never puff. I'm planning on running two 4s packs in series by the way.

if you looking for 15min + run time there is no smaller than 8000mah then

Smal and light weight 8000mah 4s with great C rate are Gens -Ace -Bashing series.

What motor is 890kv ? 7200w ?
Leopard? Hobbystar ?

If you will drive 56 size motor and real 1/5 scale you want Max5 ESC 200a

Tell more about the rig also.

I run 800kv 56113 Hobbywing Max5 combo in mine 1/5 electric rigs
with 9500mah 4s x2 ( 8s) and estimate my run time to 16-19 minutes

Last edited:

Smal and light weight 8000mah 4s with great C rate are Gens -Ace -Bashing series.

I'm planning on using a 5mm thick nylon sheet and cutting it into a chassis shape (like a Kraton 8s) and using belt drive instead of center driveshafts and transmission and 3d printed components mixed with various 8s sized diffs, wheels, driveshafts etc.

Here is the motor (same size as the castle 2028) https://www.banggood.com/Surpass-Ho...372201807&custlinkid=1720405&cur_warehouse=CN

Also, I'm planning on it weighing less than the Xmaxx (18lbs). Arrma officially recommends a 5000mah Spectrum battery for the Kraton 8s and Traxxas a 6700mah for the Xmaxx.

Yeah , you did say 15minutes runtime or more.
You need minium 8000mah then.

If you are fine with 5-8 minutes runtime only
then you can have smal 5000mah.
These we use only in light weight Buggies 1/8 normally to have about 10-12minutes runtime atleast.

Remember also that very light weight cars have less grip and handling.

Light weight is great if you will run it at skatepark or jump insane .

Bashing you want weight and stability.

Tell more about what you want to do, or will do with this rig.

100% self build ? What, How ? why ? Or modify old rig ?
Drive style and condition?
How many years experience you have in this hobby at serious level ?
What do you want to do , what is the goal with this build ?

Only 2% of us can build one good RC Car from Scratch.
50% have dream about it.
No one can build a good RC Car without experience of building 5-10 professional rc kits and drive them many hours to understund at least the basics

Leopard? Hobbystar ?

I run 800kv 56113 Hobbywing Max5 combo in mine 1/5 electric rigs
with 9500mah 4s x2 ( 8s) and estimate my run time to 16-19 minutes
This guy knows it all fiddlesticks reads books and will talk poop
He’s a book smart fk he knows nothing call me out bro I’m down
I’m a 2% then I make poop happen
Don’t come at me with super smart poop I’ll put that in the grave u ass well

Last edited:
Yeah , you did say 15minutes runtime or more.
You need minium 8000mah then.

If you are fine with 5-8 minutes runtime only
then you can have smal 5000mah.
These we use only in light weight Buggies 1/8 normally to have about 10-12minutes runtime atleast.

Remember also that very light weight cars have less grip and handling.

Light weight is great if you will run it at skatepark or jump insane .

Bashing you want weight and stability.

Tell more about what you want to do, or will do with this rig.

100% self build ? What, How ? why ? Or modify old rig ?
Drive style and condition?
How many years experience you have in this hobby at serious level ?
What do you want to do , what is the goal with this build ?

Only 2% of us can build one good RC Car from Scratch.
50% have dream about it.
No one can build a good RC Car without experience of building 5-10 professional rc kits and drive them many hours to understund at least the basics
I have about 4 years of experience in the hobby but I'm deep into tuning and designing. I've built a 1/10 scale Baja truck and it worked real well, but it was for looks and it was too heavy to do anything basically. My new design I'm planning on lightweight 1/5 4x4 for grass driving, heavy rock bouncing, street, and medium bashing (like 5 foot jumps). I don't have any concept art or designs drawn yet. I'm just looking for budget components that will get me 5 to 10HP. It's going to be made using as few parts off other vehicles as possible. And my reasons for it are I just like making things rather than buying them and upgrading them inevitably down the road, and it's cheaper lol

I have about 4 years of experience in the hobby but I'm deep into tuning and designing. I've built a 1/10 scale Baja truck and it worked real well, but it was for looks and it was too heavy to do anything basically. My new design I'm planning on lightweight 1/5 4x4 for grass driving, heavy rock bouncing, street, and medium bashing (like 5 foot jumps). I don't have any concept art or designs drawn yet. I'm just looking for budget components that will get me 5 to 10HP. It's going to be made using as few parts off other vehicles as possible. And my reasons for it are I just like making things rather than buying them and upgrading them inevitably down the road, and it's cheaper lol
Heavy lmao my balance will show u guys. Mines probably 20 pounds plus as it sits 1/10 scale no 1/5 scale
You have 4 years poop I have over 20 years experience in poop
Don’t come at me Knowledge I’ll tear you down bro for real I’ll teach you but respect that there is few don’t like me here and it’s all good 👍

Last edited:
If i was you

i would start something decent easy
Buy a slider.

Choose righ parts, try keep it very light weight.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/275419481649?hash=item402047c631:g:h3YAAOSwseFi9SN7

Lightly used X-MAXX
without electronics, body, wheels and so on.
These are called SLIDERS.

You need buy self electronics, body, wheels, and couple smal things

This is a very good beginning
light weight also.

If you choose light weight wheels, and others tuff, this could be a Beast.
Also pretty cheap total.

You can buy from JENNYS RC
Arrma kraton 8s combo to this
160a 8s ESC, and 1250kv 8s 49 size spektrum motor.
Run it with two 6200mah 4s lipos.

it Would be a beast

these are very cheap from Jennys, the electronics

If i was you

Buy a slider.

Lightly used X-MAXX

light weight also.

Also pretty cheap total.

it Would be a beast

That X-Maxx slider... you can buy all that stuff brand new off Jenny's for just a tad more than that.

And gensacearespammers batteries are not that good. A friend has tested them. For the money, you can get much better batteries. Look at CNHL, Liperior, SMC for batteries.

I own a couple SMC battery's already and love them, I've been looking to try CHNL actually and personally I don't care too much for gensacearespammers battery's when it comes to high performance with their equivalently price packs.
If i was you

Buy a slider.

Lightly used X-MAXX

light weight also.

Also pretty cheap total.

it Would be a beast

Sounds like a good idea, I'll do my research into it and parts I never really did consider that lol

I own a couple SMC battery's already and love them, I've been looking to try CHNL actually and personally I don't care too much for gensacearespammers battery's when it comes to high performance with their equivalently price packs.

Sounds like a good idea, I'll do my research into it and parts I never really did consider that lol
My buddy has spent the last year testing LiPo batteries. CNHL have performed very well, even beating out a lot of supposedly better, and far more expensive batteries, including SMC. Liperior have been testing reslly well also. Some of the higher end Turnigy batteries are very good.

As for Jenny's RC, if they don't have what you need in stock, sign up for an email notification and they usually get it within a day or two.

My buddy has spent the last year testing LiPo batteries. CNHL have performed very well, even beating out a lot of supposedly better, and far more expensive batteries, including SMC. Liperior have been testing reslly well also. Some of the higher end Turnigy batteries are very good.

As for Jenny's RC, if they don't have what you need in stock, sign up for an email notification and they usually get it within a day or two.
I plan on getting some CNHL Lipos when they have a big sale next, they did a buy one get one free a while back I saw. I'll have to try out Jenny's RC, they seem pretty cool, good prices on some of the parts I was needing.

Back