What's the easiest way to get more speed out of rc18MT?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JSY0829

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I purchased a used Associated RC18MT. It has a Xcelorin 4500kv brushless motor in it. It runs great and it was fun but now looking for more speed. I'm currently running NiMH batteries with stock gearing. What's the easiest way to get more speed out out of this thing? Lipos? Bigger motor? Or both? Never used lipo's before so any detailed info on lipo's would be appreciated.

TIA

A lipo will almost double the acceleration and add a bit of top end. You'll be giggling.:) You'll need a lipo specific charger as well. Check out hobbyking.com. A Zippy lipo that fits that rig will be around 10 bucks. Don't skimp on the charger though. A cheap charger can ruin good batteries real fast.

Also a motor with a bit higher kV rating such as a 6800kV would also help as well as running the 2s LiPo.

Volts. 2s means 2 cells. 7.4 volts. 3s is three cells. 11.1 volts.

It'll be wild! You may wanna pickup a 2s as well for when you wanna have a bit of control.

If you're running a stock drive-train, 3s WILL bend or break it.

That lower kv motor will handle quiet a bit of gear too. You'll be able to get all the speed you can handle by gearing up.

With a 6800kV motor running 1/10 scale sedan tires on an RC-18t, I run a 13/60 with no issues.

I have a mamba 8000kv in my rc18t2,I run a venom 3s lipo,only trouble i have is the front belt,new one only last 1 run,so i just keep it rearwheel drive.Insanely fast.

Back