Traxxas Slash Fox Edition Raptor ??

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flaps

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
I am almost ready to order my next truck, decided on the Slash 2wd Raptor Fox Edition,, just looks so good but I am worried about it being slow , the Arrma Granite 4x4 3S may have ruined me on brushed motors. Just wondering if anyone know's if there is a way to get just a little more speed out of the box, without the major motor / esc upgrade which is around $170.00, Maybe a Lipo 2S over NIMH makes a difference or a spur / pinion gear change, the only thing on Traxxas site that I could find was the pricey motor esc upgrade.

Any info would be appreciated, Flaps

Best bet is a Castle sct 3800 on ebay $120 new, or the popular cheaper options. Better then traxxas vxl.

The titan 12t doesn't have a good record and wanting more speed won't help. You may be able to do a spur or pinion change but becareful in how you drive it as to not overheat it.

A 2s lipo would be a good start. Atleast you won't have a voltage drop.

Start with 2s lipo and use the speed gear it comes with til you get a brushless setup

Traxxas does a good job of showing pinion/spur combinations. This is from that manual.
1681865859382.png

It includes the 23T pinion to give you a bit more. That combined with a 2S LiPo will get you near +/- the stated 30MPH. If you want to go faster you will need to upgrade the drive train. As @Chubaka said, keep an eye on the heat.

Castle is a great choice, but there are less expensive alternatives on Amazon/Ebay. Just keep in mind that you get what you pay for. So if you spend $50 on an Amazon ESC/Motor, you may end up spending the $125 on the Castle later.

You can always Check Jenny's RC too. They sell original Traxxas parts at a discounted price. They are kit breakers, meaning they buy the kit and part it out.
https://jennysrc.com/

Other brands may fit, note the 540 motor size is key.

You might also be able to find a deal in the classifieds.

@Jerold the drive train is the same in both, unless the vxl has beefier axles. The xl5 does have bushings. Changing those to bearings should help.

@Jerold the drive train is the same in both, unless the vxl has beefier axles. The xl5 does have bushings. Changing those to bearings should help.
Good point, there are a few differences. Just looking at the diagrams and parts list, it would be worth seeing what is the same and what is not.
https://traxxas.com/explodedviews/2017-Ford-F-150-Raptor-58094-1-Rear-Assembly
https://traxxas.com/explodedviews/Slash-VXL-58076-74-Rear-Assembly

Bushings probably won't hold up for long on 3S.

The base edition XL5 slash 2wd does have bearings and not bushings, put the speed pinion in and 2s Lipo and you’ll have a nice, fun car.

Back