Whats the difference/glow plugs

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm sure one is a little hotter or cooler than the other. What brand are they?

They are hsp glow plugs if that means any thing to you
Will using a N3 when it should be a N4 be the reason the coil keeps breaking?

Glow Plugs

"2Revo1Maxx" said it....one is hotter than the other. the N3 (HOT) is for lower nitro fuels (below 10%) and the N4 (MED.) is for your medium fuels (10-15%). and N6 (COLD) is for higher nitro fuels (25% and up). There are more than this but these arethe most commonly used. Basically the higher the number the cooler and vice versa. This matters more for the airplanes and such. The higher the altitude you will be flying the more the glow pug will be affected, only if their engine stalls they can't really just hit the brakes...lol I am still learning and am pretty new to this hobby as well so someone else may have something else they can add. Hope this helps.:)

If you're blowing plugs it's most likely from running too lean.

Av try richer in it up but still seems to be doing a the same... Am just about to put a pic in my album am trying to find out what this screw dose its on the center diff if anyone could av a look an let me no that would be great

Thanks

I always seem to get in trouble when I talk about glow plugs because I tell stories that are true and others do not believe them just because you can run the wrong plug does not mean you should. LOL.

The best all around glow plug for 10% to 30% nitro are Medium heat plugs. Unless your running in Cold weather then Hot Plugs will work best the rest of the year Medium heat when temps are 75 degrees and above.

What you pay for the plug is a choice you make. While you can buy inexpensive plugs in the long run middle range priced plugs will last longer. I have been using Fox Glow Plugs for a little over 9 years now and they are middle of the road priced. They were developed for Airplane engines orginally and then sell them for on road R/Cs. I can run a plug for about a gallon of fuel unless I run too lean one day then it will fry.

I have used many glow plug manufactures over the years. Duratrax Carbon Speed is a good inexpensive plug and medium heat will last all summer most of the time.

OS Glow plugs top of the line and one of the most expensive and will run for over a gallon of fuel. They are about the only manufacture that makes Turbo Plugs for my OS TZ engines.

You will never hurt an engine by running a rich mixture but there is a fine line between performance and maximum heat of the engine when running on the edge or too lean. Temp guage is suggested when you run an engine to maximum performance. Keep your engine temps below 260 Degrees but better to run on the rich side in the 220 to 240 range. Your engine will last longer :)

Could be the adjustment in the gear change

The only exception to the 260° is the Traxxas 3.3 which runs hotter (about 270° or so).

The only exception to the 260° is the Traxxas 3.3 which runs hotter (about 270° or so).

Yes I have a 3.3 and a 2.5r and I like to keep them 260 or below :) Fry plugs when I run them too lean and have hit 290 to 300 when they fry:whhooo:. the newer Traxxas heads help and when you run other fuel other the high oil content Traxxas fuels you need to be careful on engine temps.

Last edited:
I always seem to get in trouble when I talk about glow plugs
Unless your running in Cold weather then Hot Plugs will work best the rest of the year Medium heat when temps are 75 degrees and above.

There you go again lol. Plug temps should go down in cold weather, but a medium usually works fine in any weather.

Buey, you have a tuning issue or an air leak, or both.

JoeMaxx...sorry dude I agree with 2Revo on the glow plugs and this is why. Cold air is more dense. Since it is more dense it contains more oxygen. Since it contains more oxygen it burns more readily. Now considering you have a more volatile mixture that ignites easier than normal a hot plug is not recommended. Essentially cooler plug is better to use in cooler weather since a hot plug can run the risk of pre-detonation especially when using higher nitro content fuel.

Last edited by a moderator:
Av tried retuning my car today but has still blown the plugs starting to pee me off now don't no what to do grrrr

I always seem to get in trouble when I talk about glow plugs because I tell stories that are true and others do not believe them just because you can run the wrong plug does not mean you should. LOL.

The best all around glow plug for 10% to 30% nitro are Medium heat plugs. Unless your running in Cold weather then Hot Plugs will work best the rest of the year Medium heat when temps are 75 degrees and above.

What you pay for the plug is a choice you make. While you can buy inexpensive plugs in the long run middle range priced plugs will last longer. I have been using Fox Glow Plugs for a little over 9 years now and they are middle of the road priced. They were developed for Airplane engines orginally and then sell them for on road R/Cs. I can run a plug for about a gallon of fuel unless I run too lean one day then it will fry.

I have used many glow plug manufactures over the years. Duratrax Carbon Speed is a good inexpensive plug and medium heat will last all summer most of the time.

OS Glow plugs top of the line and one of the most expensive and will run for over a gallon of fuel. They are about the only manufacture that makes Turbo Plugs for my OS TZ engines.

You will never hurt an engine by running a rich mixture but there is a fine line between performance and maximum heat of the engine when running on the edge or too lean. Temp guage is suggested when you run an engine to maximum performance. Keep your engine temps below 260 Degrees but better to run on the rich side in the 220 to 240 range. Your engine will last longer :)

Temp actually has very little to do with your tune. Sure a bad tune can make an engine run hot but a perfectly tuned engine can still hit 300+ in tall grass or high load situations. Also some engines just run hot ... my 5.9 in my XL has over 6 gallons on it and it very rarely runs below 300.

Follow robins tuning guide and quit worrying about temps and your life will be much easier.

Temp actually has very little to do with your tune. Sure a bad tune can make an engine run hot but a perfectly tuned engine can still hit 300+ in tall grass or high load situations. Also some engines just run hot ... my 5.9 in my XL has over 6 gallons on it and it very rarely runs below 300.

Follow robins tuning guide and quit worrying about temps and your life will be much easier.
Josh stop the crazy talk... JoeMAXX is GURU! He has around 175 years of nitro experience. You are not going to tell him ANYTHING... no really.... he does not listen to anyone and will argue with a stump.
But on a serious note you are correct temps are just another variable in tuning, not a goal.

Checking temps is mainly for making sure your engine is warm enough to run hard, but not too hot either....that's about an 80 degree operating window.

Josh stop the crazy talk... JoeMAXX is GURU! He has around 175 years of nitro experience. You are not going to tell him ANYTHING... no really.... he does not listen to anyone and will argue with a stump.
lawl :hehe:

I bought some red line plugs today went out to try retune my car to try an get it to stop blowing the glow plugs but it blew them both with in an hour getting me down now this I mite have to take it back to the shop an get them to sort it out av gone through about 10 glow plugs in about a week

Have you sealed the engine up and checked for airleaks in your fuel lines and tank?

If you are blowing them that fast it sounds like you have a bad lean problem.