Glow plug testing

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You test the glow plug with the igniter, I would guess you test the igniter with a new glow plug.

Hi

For the igniter get a 1.5v flashlight lightbulb and stick it into the end of the glow igniter and if it glows brightly your good to go, and if it glows dimly charge the battery, I used to carry one in my nitro tool kit just for that purpose, As for the glow plug if the igniter has a good fully charged batter then the glow plug should glow brightly, and if it glows dimly it's at the end of it's life, it will still work but not very well.

Last edited:
Hi

For the igniter get a 1.5v flashlight lightbulb and stick it into the end of the glow igniter and if it glows brightly your good to go, and if it glows dimly charge the battery, I used to carry one in my nitro tool kit just for that purpose, As for the glow plug if the igniter has a good fully charged batter then the glow plug should glow brightly, and if it glows dimly it's at the end of it's life, it will still work but not very well.
Good tip ,just got this car it was a basket case was left out in the elements replaced the servos and remote control and receiver, got to the mechanical side flushed gas out and replaced with new put in new glow plug,and replaced the igniter,still no start, did a partial flush of the motor,and carb. Thanks for you help
You test the glow plug with the igniter, I would guess you test the igniter with a new glow plug.
So i should see a glow with it out of the motor correct, got nothing , was a new igniter and plug bought another and more glow plugs medium range (hot)

Hi

Do you have a picture of the igniter? Knowing what it looks like might give use an idea whats not working.

Hi

Do you have a picture of the igniter? Knowing what it looks like might give use an idea whats not working.

Hi

Here a picture hope it helps

20230824_224822.jpg

Here a picture hope it helps

View attachment 170513

Those bare-bones ones are barely functional, same goes for the included charger. I've purchased a bunch of RTR's that included them and about half were useless out of the box.

You'll have a much better time upgrading to one that unscrews and lets you change the battery, or even one that has an integrated battery and USB charger. Some have a little current meter in the back that verifies that the glow plug is working too.

Hi

The blue around the center looks like corrosion, if it if then the battery is toast.

20230824_224822.jpg

Yes nothing ,ordered a new igniter and plugs hoping to be burninĝ nitro next. Weekthanks
It was just a shot in the dark my friend. I'm an idiot when it comes to nitro stuff.