Whats going on with my servo?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nodoubts2k

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I'm nearing completion on my MT2 and I mounted the servos (one futaba s3003 and a hitek HS 645MG. The problem is, when I connect power to the servos (and flip the switch), the Hitek starts making this weird noise and gets hot and even started smoking (!). What Am I doing wrong (or not doing)? The servo Worked before when I tested it out before putting it on. I have a rechargeable batt. pack also.

It sounds like you have a crossed wire somwhere in the mix causing a short and/or power failure. I don't know what kinds of battery would be strong enough to cause that but you might want to double check you wiring before you screw around too much. Hopefull your servo is not blown...

yup, thats what it sounds like to me. Have u tampered with the switch at all?

I agree. You have something backwards. If the smoke got out, it's more than likely fried. You never want to let the smoke out of electronics...

was the hitec new or used. If it was used it might be just going bad. I had a digital one go out and smoked. You got to figure with all the bouncing these servos take, it will eventually get to them sooner or later. Just think about it we are asking servos to take alot of abuse.

olds97_lss said:
I agree. You have something backwards. If the smoke got out, it's more than likely fried. You never want to let the smoke out of electronics...

Are you serious?

yep....they may work for a while after but you should start lookin to replace it now...you're on borrowed time

Its a new servo that has never seen action before. I dont think the motor is blown, because when you turn on the switch, it makes a humming noise, but it just doesn't move. Maybe it's stuck? I'm going to take it to my lhs to see whats up today.

motors only hum when they are moving....that buzzing noise is probably your control circuit.....the 645 isn't digital so it shouldn't make any noise until you try to move it......

hitec has great customer service.... if it is blown but sounds like it most likely is..

bring it back to the shop and show em what you did....if you did it correctly I would think they should warrantee it for you......and if the servo turns out to be bad you may have cooked your Rx in th eprocess too.....neve know until you start digging into the problems

I never had a problem with the hitec servos but everyone has told me that their customer service is 2nd to none

Tweak said:
Are you serious?

Yeah... serious.

Letting the smoke out was a joke in college when we were building circuit boards. If you let the smoke out, you failed. ("letting the smoke out" means it's fried, dead, kuput...)

We call it the magic smoke inour shop...cause it magically makes the electronics STOP!

I'd open the rx and check it for visible faults too.

Back