What's a decent LIPO 6S charger in the $100+ range.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yankeedoodle30

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
It's time to upgrade my Tenergy charger.(I'm having problems discharging or storage mode 6S Lipos with this unit) What do you folks recommend.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-12-16 at 2.17.57 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-12-16 at 2.17.57 PM.png
    171.4 KB · Views: 73
do you have a power supply to run a new charger? my guess is no. gotta include that in your price...I was sent a isdt 8 and a M8 i prefer the M8 by toolkit.I dont discharge thru any of my chargers wont put them thru that amount of heat.I use stand alone dischargers

do you have a power supply to run a new charger? my guess is no. gotta include that in your price...I was sent a isdt 8 and a M8 i prefer the M8 by toolkit.I dont discharge thru any of my chargers wont put them thru that amount of heat.I use stand alone dischargers
Guess I will look into a stand alone discharger. Never knew there was such a thing. Thanks

This is a very capable charger that is well liked by the arrma forum guys:
https://www.getfpv.com/hota-d6-300w-ac-dc-dual-channel-smart-charger-discharger.html

AC/DC
6S
150W x 2 AC
650W x 2 DC
15A x 2 AC/DC
Balance current 1.6A (which makes it balance faster than many others)

Only discharges at 15W though.

I started using another cheap tool to discharge packs when they are full:
https://www.amazon.com/CellMeter-Battery-Checker-Discharger-Charging/dp/B07LDWK1FN

I set it to 3.7V per cell, then keep an eye on it. When the main draining lights go out (after about 30 minutes with a 6200mah 4S pack that's full), I take it off, then put it on my charger and charge it back to storage voltage, which only takes a few minutes usually.

You can find it on banggood and ebay. I ordered mine via ebay from China and waited a month for it to show up. The I modified it a little bit to mount the light fixtures to it as well as a deflector for the bulbs as they were super bright when discharging.

Looks dumb, but so far, works well:
2020-1207-AOkoda-150W-Discharger.jpg

All 3 of my chargers will discharge at 50W per channel, but I figured this was cheap enough that I could get it and use it vs putting that extra work on my expensive chargers.

I started with a traxxas dual ID charger, but got tired of it taking so long to charge up the 2S 9000mah packs I was running at the time in my brushless revo. Since it takes 2 packs, I was having to cycle them twice in that charger just to fill them. I got a dynamite 4x100w/4x10A charger instead and it did well, still does. I later bought a used Hitec D7 which is a 20A x 2/200W x 2 charger, but it started getting flaky with balancing and taking forever.

So I replaced the D7 with 2 Revolectrix GT500 (20A/500W) DC chargers and built a 24V 1100W 75A PSU to drive them. I typically parallel charge 2 3S x 5000mah packs on each of them at 15A (1.5C). My packs can handle 4C+ charge rate, but I'm content with the time it takes at 1.5C, so I don't push it.

When I go run trucks, I typically charge up 8 packs, which I can do all at once with the 3 chargers. DC chargers are a good option if you plan on growing. It also limits the impact to your wallet if one piece dies. If a PSU dies, you can replace just it. If a charger dies, you can replace just it. When you use AC/DC chargers, when it dies, your forced to pay premium again.

The GT500's were $100 each. The PSU's cost me $24 each on ebay. So for $150 (and a bit of effort/time converting them for charging use), I got 40 amps and 1000watts of charging power. Since I only run at 15A, I could actually run 2 more chargers off the PSU I built and double my output.

Just wish I had more room for stuff as it's kind of cramped:
2020-1130-24vPSU-HP-DPS-1200FB-1A-PluggedIn.jpg

Last edited: