Whatcha Eating?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Frozen pancakes. Kids haven't been eating them, so I'm going to start using it up. Not my favorite, but I hate wasting food! Also, a banana.

Burrito for breaky.

Seasoned beef, my own take on Spanish rice with green chilis, fire roasted tomatoes, poblanos, onions, and lots of heat, Cheddar and Monterrey Jack, sour cream, corn chips.
View attachment 138349
I'm jealous! That looks really good!

I'm jealous! That looks really good!
The rice was missing a little something, like I should have cooked it in beef or chicken stock instead of water. But in the burrito, it hit the spot.

I don't eat traditional breakfast usually. I think I could eat Mexican food every meal of every day.

We didnt have our thanksgiving until Sat but I'm gonna be in the same boat we have a ton of left overs cuz half our guests didnt show up this year.
I think you should whip some of that into a turkey pot pie.

Was this during a hunt or at home base?
Lol- This was up in the mountains, at the kill site of the elk I shot 36 hours earlier. There were around 200 elk in the herd, so I took a couple friends up to see if any of the herd was still around. I was also feeling kinda bad about leaving more meat on the carcass than I usually do. I shot it right before sunset Friday and had to field dress & quarter it by the light of a cell phone.

In grizzly country.

In my rush I kinda missed some good stuff. Well, the carcass was still untouched by bears or wolves or coyotes Sunday morn, and half frozen, so I carved off a little chunk to test. It was incredible so I modded a fire ring into a makeshift oven and got after it.
20211128_102831.jpg

Always bring some salt & pepper with you!

And another tidbit- aspen has anti inflammatory and anti diarrheal properties. And the slight bitterness really plays well with the savory salt & pepper rubbed elk. Especially with some char from the fire. So I recommend using live aspen branches for skewers. You know, for the next time you find yourself carving up an elk in the backcountry...

Lol- This was up in the mountains, at the kill site of the elk I shot 36 hours earlier. There were around 200 elk in the herd, so I took a couple friends up to see if any of the herd was still around. I was also feeling kinda bad about leaving more meat on the carcass than I usually do. I shot it right before sunset Friday and had to field dress & quarter it by the light of a cell phone.

In grizzly country.

In my rush I kinda missed some good stuff. Well, the carcass was still untouched by bears or wolves or coyotes Sunday morn, and half frozen, so I carved off a little chunk to test. It was incredible so I modded a fire ring into a makeshift oven and got after it.
View attachment 138370
Always bring some salt & pepper with you!

And another tidbit- aspen has anti inflammatory and anti diarrheal properties. And the slight bitterness really plays well with the savory salt & pepper rubbed elk. Especially with some char from the fire. So I recommend using live aspen branches for skewers. You know, for the next time you find yourself carving up an elk in the backcountry...
Man, that's what I had figured. That is so awesome! I'm envious of your lifestyle.

This is about as rugged as it gets for me nowadays
20181228152359199.jpg

That's why I have a wife....my cooking is minimalist at best. Not sure how to skewer Cap'n Crunch to roast over an open fire. 🤣
THIS! 👆 I'm half ass handy with a grill and I make a pretty mean spaghetti and chili and thats about the extent of my cooking skills.

That's why I have a wife....my cooking is minimalist at best. Not sure how to skewer Cap'n Crunch to roast over an open fire. 🤣
Cap'n Crunch are very elusive game. I've never been successful hunting these.
THIS! 👆 I'm half ass handy with a grill and I make a pretty mean spaghetti and chili and thats about the extent of my cooking skills.
What about toasts?

Backstraps from the first elk after dry curing for 4 weeks. Dee-lish!
View attachment 138441
I went with garlic salt & pepper for a rub, then glazed with the blood orange infused olive oil.

10/10- would recommend to a friend
That looks like it's perfectly cooked!

2 for breakfast 2 for lunch.

Attachments

• 20211202_085602.jpg
    20211202_085602.jpg
    235.9 KB · Views: 21
BLT with avocado slices on Dave's Good Seed bread, and Bush's honey chipotle baked beans. Dessert was a sweet fuyu persimmon.

Whipped up Spam fried rice. Yep, I said Spam! Hot and spicy Spam, to be specific. It was pretty dang good!
Dessert was Tillamook coffee almond fudge ice cream.
1203211910a.jpg

Last edited:
Back