What should I work on first?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dadof2

RC Newbie
Reaction score
I am being gifted 2 nitro RC cars, neither has been run in many years. I have not received them yet but should be any day now. I am getting excited to get my hands on them. As I am new to this sport hobby wondering which model I should start with. Is 1 an easier setup than the other, is 1 have parts more readily available should I run into problems.

Traxxas Revo 2.5R or Hot Bodies Lightning 2 buggy

I have already been watching videos on cleaning and rebuilding engines. Any advice for what parts I should should be replacing immediately due to downtime in a garage? Anything I should be doing before I try to start them up.

Thanks in advance.

The revo gets my vote.. every bearing every seal every part inspect, oil.shocks diffs .fuel lines ..all..check glow plug igniter.glow plug.all.tires . get a manual go from last page to 1st..

So after a semi long wait I have received my new to me Nitro cars. I have started inspecting and creating a list of needed parts for the Revo.

What brand of nitro fuel should I use? He was using Traxxas 20%, I have seen plenty of people say this is junk. I am not planning on leaving just bashing. Where I am ordering online they have Traxxas 29%, VP 20%/9%, VP 20%/14% & sidewinder 20%.

Also he had multiple leftover bottles of shock oil a few years old. Is that still good to use or should I toss it?

Thanks for any help,

Attachments

• 20201009_214037.jpg
    20201009_214037.jpg
    287 KB · Views: 56
  • 20201009_214042.jpg
    20201009_214042.jpg
    328.1 KB · Views: 60
So after a semi long wait I have received my new to me Nitro cars. I have started inspecting and creating a list of needed parts for the Revo.

What brand of nitro fuel should I use? He was using Traxxas 20%, I have seen plenty of people say this is junk. I am not planning on leaving just bashing. Where I am ordering online they have Traxxas 29%, VP 20%/9%, VP 20%/14% & sidewinder 20%.

Also he had multiple leftover bottles of shock oil a few years old. Is that still good to use or should I toss it?

Thanks for any help,
I use torco it seems to be the cheapest in price I get a gallon for 47.30 on ebay and the fuel quality is awesome I love it very clean easy to tune lots and lots of power I use 20%car and I use it in an os21tm traxxas 3.3 and 2.5r they all run great on it

Thanks for any help,
Local fuel is best. But use fuel with 14-18% oil lube content. 15% will be ok for bashing and the least expensive @ $35 a gallon. Add a fuel filter and clean and inspect the engine condition. Expect to spend some money to get them up and running again. Don't buy fuel online $$$$$ big rip off with quarts. Gallons have hazmat charges.

I preferred byrons 2500 race blend, 25% nitro, 11% oil. Ran nice, clean and cool. Can't get it anymore though. For as little as I drive nitro, my 2 gallons I have on a shelf will likely last me a few years. lol!

Traxxas fuel was fine, just had a lot of oil in it. Nitrotane was similar. I also ran trinity 20% MHP back in the day, wildcat 20%/16% oil and it did fine. I haven't been to an LHS in over a year, so no clue what's available anymore. With the high shipping cost, I wouldn't bother getting the stuff shipped. Just check what your local shop has if you have one.

The only fuel I didn't care for really was odonnels. Ran hot for some reason.

Local fuel is best. But use fuel with 14-18% oil lube content. 15% will be ok for bashing and the least expensive @ $35 a gallon. Add a fuel filter and clean and inspect the engine condition. Expect to spend some money to get them up and running again. Don't buy fuel online $$$$$ big rip off with quarts. Gallons have hazmat charges.
I don't know were you live but I live in Oklahoma and I get gallon of torco 20% for 47.30 all the time no change no hazmat charge just 47.30 it is always available and great fuel

I don't know were you live but I live in Oklahoma and I get gallon of torco 20% for 47.30 all the time no change no hazmat charge just 47.30 it is always available and great

I don't know were you live but I live in Oklahoma and I get gallon of torco 20% for 47.30 all the time no change no hazmat charge just 47.30 it is always available and great
I only run 15% and it's $30 a gallon.

What brand of fuel do you use for 30 a gallon

Back