What should I do? Get a roller or buy a redcat Monsoon Xtr?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr.MadfireMoe

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
So I am 13 but I have been working with these cars for 6 or 7 months. I own a 1/8 scale nitro buggy made by exceed, which I bought myself. But I had fun with it and now I'm looking for a 1/8 nitro truggy to play/bash with. I was thinking about going to buy a roller for an easy 290 bucks and buy a .21 go engine off line. Or I could buy a redcat Monsoon xtr that's 339 dollars, but a rtr kit. It's actually pretty nice and it's looks and all. The affordable price is not the only reason I wanted it! But with a roller I could build my on truggy and take it at the Bronx track or something.
You can give me tips and all because I'm fine with any of those! And also if I'm getting a roller, find me an engine that's not too pro that is a .21 and under 150. I found a nice new one for only 61 dollars.

-Mr. exceed Madfire

I would probably go with the Redcat, only because if buy a roller to build and then start buying parts it can get expensive in a hurry. I have an Exceed Mad Beast Nitro and I've had a few Redcats. They're OK considering what you pay for them. But it's your money so it's your call.

I would avoid ANYTHING Redcat. No real aftermarket support and parts are not the easiest to find. I'd say save a bit more and go with a more well-known brand like HPI, Traxxas, Losi, etc.

I would avoid ANYTHING Redcat. No real aftermarket support and parts are not the easiest to find. I'd say save a bit more and go with a more well-known brand like HPI, Traxxas, Losi, etc.
thanks to both of you guys. hamz9561, the redcat comes with a sh .28 though. Is that engine at least good quality?

I would probably go with the Redcat, only because if buy a roller to build and then start buying parts it can get expensive in a hurry. I have an Exceed Mad Beast Nitro and I've had a few Redcats. They're OK considering what you pay for them. But it's your money so it's your call.
thanks, I would might wanna race it

And do people race truggies with 21's or 28's

If I end up buying a roller, what should I get? Not including the traxxas, because they don't make truggies

Last edited:
Truggies usually run .28 engines for racing. The S&H isn't the most powerful stock engine. Here' are a few that is decently equipped and isn't badly rated:

http://www.horizonhobby.com/horizon...nd/8ight-t-nitro-rtr--1-8-4wd-truggy-los04011
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXGHGY&P=0
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXFUGK&P=0

Traxxas DOES have a truggy equivalent: The Revo 3.3. Although the Revo has a 2-speed and smaller engine.
Oh these are nice but my budget is around 350 and less. That's why I could probably get one of these as a roller for 3 hundred dollars less. I did not know the revo was a truggy, I saw it as a monster truck but does it count if I make my t-maxx a truggy? (this last question is the least important one)

Bashin is bashin ,racin is racin ,you have to decide what you plan to do because you just don't bash $ 600 dollar
racing kits!
If your serious about racing ,then you need a good quality brand that is competitive.
Best thing to do ,is to see what local tracks run ,it maybe nitro ,or electric!

This may be of intrest in nitro an what some folks may run at the tracks ,also check for deals ,this is what
I found that maybe seen at the track ,it also says best offer!....:D

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ASC80917-Te...1aabf9c&pid=100005&rk=1&rkt=6&sd=381879189873

A Revo is NOT a truggy, it's a race tuned MT. They're awesome rigs, no doubt, but a true truggy will tear one up on the track. And I would never buy a Redcat for the reasons already mentioned above by hamz. RC is just like most things in life, you get what you pay for.

Well to respond to cbaker: The track is up at gun hill bronx and they race nitro and electric. Well it's more abandoned and people are fixing it back up. I would like to race but really i don't mine doing laps with any low or high brands. It's far from brooklyn but it is the only track in new york, the best you will get.
And for hpiguy: I guess your right but if there is any rig you suggest, it would be best for me to get a roller version and throw a 100 dollar 28 engine, unless My dad or mother really could find time to bring me there every weekend or possibly daily

Well to respond to cbaker: The track is up at gun hill bronx and they race nitro and electric. Well it's more abandoned and people are fixing it back up. I would like to race but really i don't mine doing laps with any low or high brands. It's far from brooklyn but it is the only track in new york, the best you will get.
And for hpiguy: I guess your right but if there is any rig you suggest, it would be best for me to get a roller version and throw a 100 dollar 28 engine, unless My dad or mother really could find time to bring me there every weekend or possibly daily

These days ,you have to really watch what to get ,theres a lot of models that have been out dated an no longer
are produced ,even name brands! .....Just be weary of that!...:cool:

These days ,you have to really watch what to get ,theres a lot of models that have been out dated an no longer
are produced ,even name brands! .....Just be weary of that!...:cool:
Thanks I am glad you and hpiguy, and hamz, and watertrucker had helped! I am now going to make a choice in product soon. Now I'm just going to post a thread about showing off your rigs if tt goes well :)

Thanks I am glad you and hpiguy, and hamz, and watertrucker had helped! I am now going to make a choice in product soon. Now I'm just going to post a thread about showing off your rigs if tt goes well :)

What I've seen on Ebay a little while ago was a Hobao truggy RTR
Which I think someone here has one!
They are a descent price being RTR's

An I seen this one ,needs engine & radio gear.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hobao-OFNA-...067584?hash=item2118dd27c0:g:J8wAAOSwPCVYA-aB

This is nice! I might get this

One last thing though. How do you upload pics. I would like to show you guys my rigs, and it would be cool to see yours!

I use a camera an load them up in the Pc through a usb port ,once I do that then I upload them
to a photo host postimage.org

This is my truggy!...:D

Rc_022.jpg

I use a camera an load them up in the Pc through a usb port ,once I do that then I upload them
to a photo host postimage.org

This is my truggy!...:D

Rc_022.jpg
Now That's nice! You race it at all?

as soon as I find a way to put stuff on, I could show you the exceed nitro buggy I own :cool:

I think it worked

as soon as I find a way to put stuff on, I could show you the exceed nitro buggy I own :cool:

I think it worked
yep the link shows all, this is the best i could do for now

Attachments

• 14838446709741373309794.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 383
Last edited:
And this is it in the same condition as yours link

Attachments

• 14838478353481609271561.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 163
I see it ,nice buggy!

14838446709741373309794-jpg.18957

I think it worked

yep the link shows all, this is the best i could do for now

After you post that ,you can right click the mouse if you have one an select copy an
then go back to your post right click again an push paste!....:D

Wow I forgot I can do that! yeah thanks, It coasted me about 236 coming from exceed, I found this nice ofna truggy roller on ebay that's a little different then the other one foe less :cool:

I like your Madfire! Looks sharp.
Thank you:D

Back