What radio system should I buy?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TacRacing

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I want to get a better setup for all my trucks and my future trucks.

I have a tmaxx, xxxnt, minit, and soon to get MGT.

I was thinking about the JR XS3, but the spektrum is tempting.

Should I shoot for M8 and go big, or keep it to the JR.

Also, is the JR R1 any good really??

Would you recommend it over the M8?

thanks,
adrian

If you aren't really picky the xs3 is fine or the Pro version. The M8 with the Spectrum module or even the 3pk with the spectum module is cool but PRICEY.

How much more is the 3PK over the M8??

Can you get the 3PK with just the tx??
thanks,
adrian

They had problems with the spectrum at "The Dirt". The last pro race in the US. When a group was racing with them they would glitch big time. I'm not saying to not go with it, just do some research b4 you take the plunge.

vbgagnon said:
They had problems with the spectrum at "The Dirt". The last pro race in the US. When a group was racing with them they would glitch big time. I'm not saying to not go with it, just do some research b4 you take the plunge.
Good point. Just cause it is hyped up that way doesn't mean it is the best. research it before you buy it!!!

Well, it is new, and I am definately not going to go out and get one tomorrow!!

haha, I need to save up a little.

I am leaning torwards the M8 due to it is so widely used, but the 3PK seems appealling.

Do any of you have one??

thanks
adrian

My father has the M8 and its a great radio. Easy to navagate and you don't need the manual to adjust everything.

A buddy has the 3pJ not the 3pK, but I'm told they are similar. Its a great radio, but you need a college degree from futaba to run it. So basically you need the book to do anything with it.

Both are very comfortable, and feel good in your hands. The m8 is adjustable for people with big and small hands. Not sure about the 3pk.

I run a 3PK and I love it. Navigating the menus is actually very simple. the only thing that makes it tough at first is knowing what all the abbreviations stand for. The most common stuff is obvious but some of the nitty gritty variables you'll need to look up from time to time. The manual is easy to understand and easy to navigate as well. I find it to be a little forward heavy but I think that's just because I havn't taught myself to hold it straight up 100% of the time. Once you get the steering wheel adjusted for comfort it's a lot better. I highly recommend it.

Can you use the 3pk with analog servos??
I noticed on tower that there were 2 different versions of this radio.
How does that work??

thanks

yes, you can use analog servos. This seems to be confusing to a lot of people. I think you can buy a 3pk in one of three ways.

1: with an HRS receiver

2: with a PCM receiver

3: newer version (different color only, no technical differences I don't think) with a sythesized module but no Rx

It seem a lot of people are getting confused because Futaba says you CANNOT use analog servos with the HRS system. The Tx itself can change between PPM, PCM, and HRS. If you are using the HRS receiver you must change the Tx signal to HRS, therefor you must use digital servos. But if you're using a normal receiver it doesn't matter what type of servos you use. BTW, signal settings are saved from one vehicle to the next so you do't have to switch it back and forth.

I think I am going to get the XS3 pro, because the high end radios just cost so much!!

I am still learning about radio equipment, and I have a few Q's.

1. A guy at my LHS said that 27 MHz and 75MHz on AM and FM are the same. He said that the difference in the 2 were that FM tends to glitch less. He said that if you had a 27 MHz Am on the same channel as a 27 MHz FM they would cause problems. Can someone explain?

2. I just got the 645 hitec for my tmaxx. It is analog of course, but I want to know if there are some real advantages to running digital. What receivers cannot run digital??
I have the XR2 on my xxxnt. Could I run digital on that truck??

3. How do i find out if certain servos are compatible with certain receivers??
This is weird to me. i was told that futaba receivers work will traxxas stuff, and my hitec works with traxxas stuff, but the box says JR/hitec??
What is up with using other brands with other brands??

sorry for all the questions..
Just looking to understand.

adrian

I am also looking for a new FM radio... I want a synthisized version of something... something that is comfortable and under $350 or so... I need it for my t-maxx. Do fail safes work with FM radios? Help?

if your gonna drop that kind of dough on the radio I know the HRS Rx have built in fail safe features....but you have to run Digital servos w/ them....I'm going to try that next now that I have some good digital servos in my buggy..... I stopped using the lil OFNA and Venom ail safes cause they seemed to cause more problems than they fixed.....that means I can only run it in an enclosed area to be somewhat safe but I know most uys at mills pond don't have them in their RCs anyway.......I use the 3PM...I was told they are going to make a spectrum module for them but I don't see how...anyone else hear something along those lines? the spektrum site has no info reguarding this so I'm assuming it's a rumor....I'd like to get a Spektrum setup but I want to know if I'm also in the market for the radio now as well.......if so I'm lookin at the M8 personally.......

Last edited:
Yeah, i thought about the m8 or the 3pk or something. Could i run digital servos in those along with analog? I heard somewhere that fail safes couldnt be used with digital servos or fm radios...

check out birdies thread in the fs/ft section .. great radio.. great price..

The Futaba 3PM-FS is also a very good sythesized computer radio and it is affordable. I bought the non-synthesized version of the 3PM last year and it is great. I do wish that I waited for the synthesized version. The radio is loaded with features. See here:
http://www.futaba-rc.com/radios/futk18.html
http://www.futaba-rc.com/manuals/3pm-fm-fs-manual.pdf

The 3PM will work with an HRS receiver. I run a Futaba R133F receiver in my Savage and a Hitec HIS-03MK receiver in my RS4. Both receivers work perfectly with the 3PM.

I kinda want one that will work with the spectrum module. I know there arent many, but which ones do?

The ones that cost so much it makes me cry.

JK.. kind of.

The M8, the kopropo helios, futaba 3pk, and the JR R1. there is a hitec one too, but I can't remember the model.

Tac, I think it is the CRX model. If I am wrong then it is the other model, which I think is the SRX(?).

TacRacing said:
The M8, the kopropo helios, futaba 3pk, and the JR R1. there is a hitec one too, but I can't remember the model.

Are those the the ones compatible with the spectrum module?

Back