What Parts/Tool to get me started?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

X_UNDFTD_X

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I just got a used HPI 18SS and It might need a little work to get it in better condition, but it runs I think. I was looking at a few websites such as Asiatees, tower-hobbies, hobby-partz, and A Main Hobbies. All these websites look pretty good to get stuff, but I'm still a little confused which one is best. Whats your experience with any of these sites? Any to recommend? I'm just gonna make a list on the parts I need and hopefully someone can guide me in the right direction. Please list more parts/tools I need in your opinion. I know this is a lot, but it will help me a lot, thanks :).

Parts/Tools Needed:
-4 Gallon Fuel (25%?)
-After run oil
-Cheap tires/rims
-Tire Glue
-Air Filter Oil
-Gear grease? Can I use this: http://www.rcplanet.com/Associated_Factory_Slime_p/asc1105.htm
-Nut Drivers

I would go to harborfreight or sears for tools and then see if you have a local hobby shop nearby so you get the fuel locally. If you buy the fuel online, not only do you have to buy 4 gallons at once but you also have to pay hazmat fees. Also if you don't like the fuel you just purchased 4 gallons of, it's gonna be hard to get rid of the unused fuel. I would also add these to your list:
long skinny flathead screwdriver for the carbs
allen wrenches or allen screwdrivers in both variations
a good set of pliers
vise grips
dikes

just my 2 cents from my years of experience

First and foremost I'd highly recommending buying local if you can, if you have a local hobby shop you'll be much better off supporting them for sure. If not then AMainHobbies, Tower Hobbies, Asiatees, Stormer Hobbies, are all good places to shop at online.

After run oil - I've heard CorrosionX works great as an after run oil. (dealer locator)

Cheap tires/rims - Proline Racing makes great wheels and tires.

Tire Glue - AKA Tire Glue, and Losi Thin are both great glues.

Air Filter Oil - Klotz air filter oil is top notch. CowRC also carries air filter oil.

Gear grease - Team Fast Eddy carries a great transmission grease.

Nut Drivers - Wiha makes great tools, though any nut driver will work just fine. Dynamite, Craftsman, Harbor Freight...

Hex Wrenches - I have various sets, but my favorite are my Bondhus T-Handle hex wrenches!

That should be a good start in terms of tools. :)

Great info! I've been looking around for some good Hex Drivers. I picked up a set from the local hobby shop here but they are starting to round off. I haven't shopped Ebay in ages, is it still viable?

First and foremost I'd highly recommending buying local if you can, if you have a local hobby shop you'll be much better off supporting them for sure. If not then AMainHobbies, Tower Hobbies, Asiatees, Stormer Hobbies, are all good places to shop at online.

After run oil - I've heard CorrosionX works great as an after run oil. (dealer locator)

Cheap tires/rims - Proline Racing makes great wheels and tires.

Tire Glue - AKA Tire Glue, and Losi Thin are both great glues.

Air Filter Oil - Klotz air filter oil is top notch. CowRC also carries air filter oil.

Gear grease - Team Fast Eddy carries a great transmission grease.

Nut Drivers - Wiha makes great tools, though any nut driver will work just fine. Dynamite, Craftsman, Harbor Freight...

Hex Wrenches - I have various sets, but my favorite are my Bondhus T-Handle hex wrenches!

That should be a good start in terms of tools. :)

I bought some Dynamite hex drivers that have held up really well. I also use WD40 as ARO. Initally it was kind of expensive to buy everything at once for me, so I bought the basics and slowly added and improved tools/supplies as needed.