DHK Optimus GP Alloy Parts

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gazray4699

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm in touch with a CNC workshop who makes parts for the Aowei Yamabuggy and I've recently been toying with asking them to machine replacement parts for the DHK series of buggies. They're slightly smaller and I've been told they'll be trickier to make and therefore likely a little more expensive. After doing some research, I found you can get replacement suspension arms for them for about £5 a part - whereas I'd be looking between £20-50 for alloy parts.

What I'm wanting to know is, is it worth asking them to make these parts? The buggy is fairly cheap, there's a fair few out there and after some strengthening, would they be a better buggy for it? They've also asked for a list of which parts tend to break the easiest so they know what to strengthen.

So what I'm asking is - anyone out there own a DHK buggy and like them? Would you pay that kind of money for anodised parts? I can ask them to make them for me but they're only really interested if others want them too. What parts do you find tend to break?

Gareth

Hello,

I'm in touch with a CNC workshop who makes parts for the Aowei Yamabuggy and I've recently been toying with asking them to machine replacement parts for the DHK series of buggies. They're slightly smaller and I've been told they'll be trickier to make and therefore likely a little more expensive. After doing some research, I found you can get replacement suspension arms for them for about £5 a part - whereas I'd be looking between £20-50 for alloy parts.

What I'm wanting to know is, is it worth asking them to make these parts? The buggy is fairly cheap, there's a fair few out there and after some strengthening, would they be a better buggy for it? They've also asked for a list of which parts tend to break the easiest so they know what to strengthen.

So what I'm asking is - anyone out there own a DHK buggy and like them? Would you pay that kind of money for anodised parts? I can ask them to make them for me but they're only really interested if others want them too. What parts do you find tend to break?

Gareth
There are already aluminum parts available for the DHK cars, but, in my personal experience, unless you are really hammering on them, they arent worth the money. I have had pretty much every car DHK makes, from the Hunter, to the Zombie, to the Cage-R, Wolf and Wolf 2, Raz-R and Raz-r 2, and, just as as example, the lower arms, on sale, are $50: https://rchobbyexplosion.com/dhk-al...Oyc2GwCefbUcrKEhD9aQEqV5hXlllL1xoC2ooQAvD_BwE and, with as little as anything ever broke on any of my DHK cars, i could never justify the expense, and i always ran mine hard. This is my Wolf 2 at a BMX track:
And, my Hunter at a skate park:
and, other than the aluminum parts they came with, anytime i did break something, i always just went with the stock plastic. Just those lower arms, if i replaced say just the rears with the aluminum ones, it would take me 5 years or more to break enough plastic arms to warrant spending what they are asking for the aluminum ones (which arent as durable as you would think. I bought a set once, and bent them badly doing some fairly hard jumps, and those same jumps barely scratched the plastic ones).

Side note, i still wish i had my DHK cars (lost them all in a fire), but, you can't seem to get them anymore in the states. My full list of cars included (2) Hunter's, (3) Raz-R's, Raz-R 2, Cage-R, (2) Wolf 2's, Zombie 8E, (2) Crosse's, Shogun, Wolf, Sportra, Maximus, Shogun, and (2) Optimus. One of the things i liked most about the DHK stuff is how interchangeable everything is, and they were fairly easy to work on, and extremely durable even without upgrades.

Back