Newbie question: recommended tools & accessories

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sombra

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hi everyone. Second post here (following introduction). I just got my first RC, a Losi 8ight nitro RTR. Along with the car, I also ordered a couple of glow plugs, air filter oil, a charger and lead, after run oil, some pre-oiled Losi air filter foams, and a ProTek RC Nitro Starter Set.

Are there any accessories or tool kits that I need? Please make some recommendations. I might have some cheap hex renches and screw drives lying around the house. Not sure. But I don't want to be caught off guard with some reasonable additional tools or accessories. Cleaning supplies?

Are there any parts I should generally have on hand? I anticipate upgrading the servos once I've gotten the hang of things.

I don't want to go crazy and just have stuff to have it, but I also don't live near a hobby shop, so I have to get stuff on-line...

A soldering iron and possibly a dremel tool with several different attachements. I also have several needlenose vise grips.

Man, you can go absolutely crazy getting geared up to work on RC cars. I am a bit of a tool junkie, but I use everything on my RC bench from time to time. Sounds like you got the basics, and you will figure things out as you go.

You might grab some silicone spray to keep the chassis and such lubed. If the plastics get a bit dull looking, a spritz of WD-40 will make it look new again.

It's been mentioned already, but I can't stress how much better a set of hardened, ball-end hex wrenches are than anything "included."

For the longest time I just saved every freebie allen wrench in a drawer and considered that "my wrenches," but now I realize I was making things harder for myself by not having nicer tools.

I might even recommend a set of Bondhus T-handle hex wrenchee- Adam Savage swears by them, and I see why. That might be a little overkill though, a set of hardened allen wrenches should cover your needs.

I use a plain plastic syringe to prime the engine and also drain the fuel line at the end of the day; I haven't seen other people do this but I find it easier than covering the exhaust and cranking the engine, and it's a lot easier to completely empty your car of fuel by sucking the fuel line empty with a syringe.

It's been mentioned already, but I can't stress how much better a set of hardened, ball-end hex wrenches are than anything "included."

For the longest time I just saved every freebie allen wrench in a drawer and considered that "my wrenches," but now I realize I was making things harder for myself by not having nicer tools.

I might even recommend a set of Bondhus T-handle hex wrenchee- Adam Savage swears by them, and I see why. That might be a little overkill though, a set of hardened allen wrenches should cover your needs.

I use a plain plastic syringe to prime the engine and also drain the fuel line at the end of the day; I haven't seen other people do this but I find it easier than covering the exhaust and cranking the engine, and it's a lot easier to completely empty your car of fuel by sucking the fuel line empty with a syringe.
I like ball end hex wrenches, but only use them when they make a job easier. The ball ends will wear your screws out over time, and it is much easier to strip a problem screw using them. I rarely use them to break a screw loose, or final tighten a screw. If I have a screw that requires the use of a ball end for that (very uncommon), I will use them though. But otherwise, I keep them in my tool box.

In my career, we had a few jobs here and there where a part had a complex fixture and we had to use a ball end to tighten a screw. That screw was always the first to go.

I like ball end hex wrenches, but only use them when they make a job easier. The ball ends will wear your screws out over time, and it is much easier to strip a problem screw using them. I rarely use them to break a screw loose, or final tighten a screw. If I have a screw that requires the use of a ball end for that (very uncommon), I will use them though. But otherwise, I keep them in my tool box.

In my career, we had a few jobs here and there where a part had a complex fixture and we had to use a ball end to tighten a screw. That screw was always the first to go.
Appreciate the tip, I definitely switch to the flat ends when I need maximum torque. I also count on loctite more than sheer torque to hold them since I've stripped the threads out of a crankcase before...

There's a few engine mounts that are simply impossible to access in line with the screw and force you to cope with ~15 degrees of deflection.

I'm also at the point that I replace critical screws when I do a rebuild instead of reusing them, especially those located on the bottom of the chassis which are prone to getting especially beat up.

I'm also at the point that I replace critical screws when I do a rebuild instead of reusing them, especially those located on the bottom of the chassis which are prone to getting especially beat up.
That's a good idea. I usually toss a few screws when I work on my RC's, or at least deligate them to the junk drawer. I consider them a parishable item. I keep a slew of screws on hand from 2mm up to 6mm in every length I can find. That reminds me, I have a few sizes I need to restock.

Agree with everything said above. I bought MIP hex drivers when I got started in the hobby 2 years ago. Can't recommend them highly enough. I just went to Lowes and got the 1/4" drive ratchet & sockets I needed. That saved a lot of money over buying MIP nut drivers. They are good but pricey. Also, you may need SAE tools for that car versus metric. I started with a Losi 8ight T RTR and it was all SAE. The new V2 of these vehicles may be metric I don't know, just a heads up though. Read up on the tuning specs for these vehicles. Tons of great info on this site. Welcome to nitro!!

Thanks all. I have taken the advice here and ordered a set of MIP Hex drivers (in both SAE and metric).

Appreciate the input and useful help.

I have a few...

IMG_0422.JPG

Looks like a freakin' lawnmower wheel up there!
My thoughts exactly. Beat me to it.

Was thinking of my mower or if too small, my edger. I'm in tge middle of fittng a tmaxx wheel to my edger. 😁

Looks like a freakin' lawnmower wheel up there!
Almost bigger, those are my baja set.
Those are 5th scale wheels & tires!.. :hehe:
But ,I have those tires an they dont hook up very well for a Baja!..:cool:
They don't do to bad out on the sand Baker. I also have a set of paddles I can use but this is a shelf queen.

Back