What method do you use to clean your RC?

• Thread starter IdriveSlideways
  • Start date

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Compressed air works well on both ground and air vehicles. You wouldn't think you would need to blow out Aircraft, but on the rare occasion your landing gear doesn't want to cooperate and you need to belly land like my FMS 1450mm Mustang, it comes in handy. :eek:

View attachment 126301
That looks like most of my landings!

I run my Arrma Granite nearly everyday. So, I don't bother going full detailing. I just want to get the caked on dirt off. I use a large stiff bristle brush for the tires and undercarriage. A cheap, stiff bristle art paint brush and metal pick for nooks and crannies and everything else. Then finish off with a good blasting with my cordless leaf blower with a tapered nozzle. The body gets a quick hand wash. Then, she's ready for the next day's session.
If I'm in the mood and really want to make it look super purty, I break out the water filled, pressurized garden sprayer. Scrub with a mixture of water and car wash detergent using a toothbrush. Blow it dry with the blower and compressed air. Then spray everything down with WD40, wiping off the excess. Man, I'm tired just typing this out, no wonder I don't do this often!

Last edited:
I run nitro's ,but I usually just use an air compressor to blow them off most of the time!
But accasionally I do a deep clean on them ,I pull the engine & electronics ,an dowse
the chassy with Dawn dish soap or a cleaner like Simple green an jet it down with a
power nozzle an then dry it up with air compressor ,I usually mainly do this in the
summer months when the temps are a 100 deg. ,it helps dry things up quickly.
In the winter months ,I spend more time just breaking it all down for hand cleaning
with soapy water an hand dry ,lube parts!...:cool:

My cleaning stages:
1.Air compressor.
2.Sponge, dawn blue or car soap, tooth brush
3.If too dirty, turn it into kit form and clean it piece by piece.

The more aggressive methods are for mud trucks and nitros. For dog poo, blue dawn and white vinegar. Scotch brite/ dobbie pads will damage annodized aluminum so those are a pladtic only.

I'm not gonna lie, I got a rb400 pressure washer, and the thought came to mind on Monday when using it.

I generally only run my kits when its dry out so blowing them out with the air compressor usually works decently. At least till I get to the point where I feel I have to tear it down and clean it thoroughly then I use 50/50 mix simple green/water.

Alcohol and Q-tips. I take the engine and fuel tank out first. Gets it looking brand new, but takes a long time. I'm weird though, and enjoy cleaning them almost as much as running them. First pic is how I got my first one, second is after I cleaned it, rest are after I cleaned up my second one after it showed up really dirty with caked on oil. I also have a nylon brush I use for engine fins.

Attachments

• received_276208037136559.jpeg
    received_276208037136559.jpeg
    432.7 KB · Views: 95
  • 20200711_183558.jpg
    20200711_183558.jpg
    454.3 KB · Views: 99
  • received_425673362019140.jpeg
    received_425673362019140.jpeg
    207.6 KB · Views: 98
  • 20210307_182137.jpg
    20210307_182137.jpg
    396.3 KB · Views: 92
  • 20210307_182209.jpg
    20210307_182209.jpg
    474 KB · Views: 95
Alcohol and Q-tips. I take the engine and fuel tank out first. Gets it looking brand new, but takes a long time. I'm weird though, and enjoy cleaning them almost as much as running them. First pic is how I got my first one, second is after I cleaned it, rest are after I cleaned up my second one after it showed up really dirty with caked on oil. I also have a nylon brush I use for engine fins.
You are a sick, sick man! 😁

That Datsun is awesome!

LOL thank you very much

I use a can of compressed air and a paint brush to remove leaves, grass. I will also use a low power leaf blower on if it's really bad. I also use simple green if I run in mud, spray down and use the paint brush and a quick rinse and dry.

out of everyone i seem to be the only one to suggest a leaf blower? is there a good reason not to use it? was tempted to actually use my hands to wipe some of the dirt off but its going to be wet and dirty for the next 4 months i think just the leaf blower will be enough for now.

out of everyone i seem to be the only one to suggest a leaf blower? is there a good reason not to use it? was tempted to actually use my hands to wipe some of the dirt off but its going to be wet and dirty for the next 4 months i think just the leaf blower will be enough for now.
If you dont have an air compressor then that might be the next best thing :)

Posted on 4/6/21 😉
...Then finish off with a good blasting with my cordless leaf blower with a tapered nozzle...Blow it dry with the blower and compressed air....

oh nice a special nosle might actually be to much power? :) ill try that next with a splash of brake cleaner.
I brought my cordless blower to the track one time for a quick clean between runs. All the guys just love the idea!
I don't use it much, for my rc, these days since I've been fully engrossed in my crawlers.

Last edited:
I always go over my buggy with compressed air after every run. I was just curious what methods you all use to keep your vehicles clean. I like to use air because its chemical free and usually gets the job done effectively and efficiently.
I use compressed air with a brush. Just keep in mind to have the air regulated to a lower pressure, or keep the nozzle further away from components to avoid damage.

I always go over my buggy with compressed air after every run. I was just curious what methods you all use to keep your vehicles clean. I like to use air because its chemical free and usually gets the job done effectively and efficiently.
I do the same thing. I might use a spritz of the Pink stuff, on a gauss pad. Just on the real grime. 💪

Back