What happened to intro/ready to race RTR kits?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TRX1

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
What happened to all the RTR kits that were "race ready"? No RC10, Losi, Kyosho buggy RTRs from what I can see anymore. Years ago you could find a RTR kit to get you going. Is the hobby doing that poorly? The only RTR I see is the LOSI short course truck with the battery compartment on the bottom. That's kinda lame though. I was hoping to get back into with a brushless RTR that was decent enough to go to the track with. I liked the old RC10B4 but that's been discontinued. There were even some knockoff chinese brands (team c?) I wouldn't mind having to start out but those have disappeared as well.

So is the only option now to buy a kit?

Attachments

• rtr-buggy.jpg
    rtr-buggy.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 89
I've been a bigtime racers for more than 30 years . started in the 80's. I raced for Team C when they were alive(no more).thought they were a USA company. The racing scene has dwindled over the past 12 years . its more about getting the Basher a fun rc to destroy.. not many rtr racers anymore. I have seen some trucks say race ready but then you have to add all electronics and your radio system. Find the class you want to race in and buy a used rc I have purchased many that way now with local hobby stores going away its always nice to get a model that is supported by locals or lhs. Just my 1cent input. Back to updating my 45 year old toilet.Going with a power assist 1 ,low h2o..1.6 gallons to less than a 1/2gallon
PS
always a good idea to tear apart any used rc do all bearing check shocks rebuild and replace

Yeah, last time I raced ( 1995?) you had to build a kit etc. Then there were RTR options I thought of getting to get back into the hobby in the next year or so. Now there are no "race ready" RTR kits. Just thought it was weird since I thought that was a decent seller. I just ordered a 1/18 for bashing to see if I still have the urge to get back in. I'm just not sure if I want to spend the money on a kit and everything if I don't want to stick with it. There's not even any "cheap" kits to start out with. Looks like $214+ is the cheapest.

I don't have a track near by, never did. I always had to drive to Houston or Dallas.

oh those were the days xxt buggy and truck... how fast could you get that 19turn going on 6 cell.. did you ever charge a nicad at 15 amps?I still run my xxt buggy in a vintage class with modern tires its a beast..

oh those were the days xxt buggy and truck... how fast could you get that 19turn going on 6 cell.. did you ever charge a nicad at 15 amps?I still run my xxt buggy in a vintage class with modern tires its a beast..

I still have part of my TRX-1....but not worth saving :( I wish Traxxas would come out with a competition buggy again. Eh well. I don't remember much about the details. We lived in an area with no RC support so when we went to the city we were surrounded by people that clearly had more knowledge and support. Still fun to race even though we were winging it basically. I would have killed for YouTube or the internet (well, we kinda had it but nothing like it is now) back then.

Well I found a PROSC10 short course brushless RTR on ebay and went ahead and bought it :) I think this will be a decent purchase to see if I want to get back into the hobby or not.

the Tenacity TT pro can be raced, its an SCT though

What happened to all the RTR kits that were "race ready"? No RC10, Losi, Kyosho buggy RTRs from what I can see anymore. Years ago you could find a RTR kit to get you going. Is the hobby doing that poorly? The only RTR I see is the LOSI short course truck with the battery compartment on the bottom. That's kinda lame though. I was hoping to get back into with a brushless RTR that was decent enough to go to the track with. I liked the old RC10B4 but that's been discontinued. There were even some knockoff chinese brands (team c?) I wouldn't mind having to start out but those have disappeared as well.

So is the only option now to buy a kit?
That is kind of what I had also met in the Traxxas hate thread ,all companies change to force people to buy new & different things ,
so it is catch catch situation ,they will only run a product line for a couple of years ,Losi does it!

RTR's Short Course trucks are still around. Kyosho, Losi, AE still make them. To get into racing without taking out a loan, look into getting a used one. A lot of racers are selling their last years model for this years model for about the same price as a new RTR. At the end of the day, it comes out to cost less going that route. An RTR still needs a proper ESC and motor to meet the rules. However, some tracks don't care too much about what ESC your running, but they care about the motor.

If you want new, the least expensive kit that is still highly competitive is the Kyosho RB7 and RB7ss. Unless they are all sold out, you can find them for around $220. As soon as people found out how much they cost, they started selling fast. If you go used, the all of last years models, regardless of brands, are still very competitive. However, like TNT said, if you go used, make sure to go over every bearing and gear to make sure they are still good. You would definitely want to rebuild the ball diff on a used unit.

Back