What do i do with gears?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thatcraig

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Crawling
  3. Scale Builder
I'm just getting into the hobby and don't know much, but my gears are going out of my scx10iii and I only have 4wheel drive sometimes. So what should I do?

I would open them up and see what's going on. I'm not familiar with the scx10. But that's where I would start.

Could be a loose set screw on the drivetrain somewhere, like a driveshaft. Time to start digging into it.

from listings online: Using a 3-channel transmitter and a micro servo, you have control on demand. The SCX10™ III kit transmission can be configured in one of two ways. Set it up for 2-speed using the high and low gears or set it up for front dig to have a tighter turning radius with the rear axle locked. With a 4-channel transmitter and a second micro servo, it can be configured to use both features.

How is yours setup ?
id start with what WF said no 2nd poster
then move to your setup options. is micro servo working fully?

What's a micro servo?

The small ones you normally see on transmissions to shift gears, or used on axle lockouts. Or on dig units.

Adding a visual.
1705026074771.png

You could have a bad servo or it could be adjusted incorrectly. There isn't much in the way of screws and mechanical things to adjust. It's controlled by the transmitter.

The first thing I would do is make sure it moving completely from one side to the other. If it's not then look for loose screws and stuff. If you don't find anything check the end point adjustment on your transmitter.

Here is one example of the procedure. It actually does create earthquakes.

So that's what that is, I've been wondering. And that may be the problem, I think I may have shifted it.

That's a good point. If the shift servo isn't set properly, it may not be fully engaging the gears.
I have a 2 speed that's funny that way. I got it second hand mind you and the linkage wasn't with it so I've had a hell of a time figuring out how to make one that will last. I've gotten it figure out now , but they are really finicky sometimes . Just a little out and it won't shift
Wow that's a complicated end point adjustment procedure. On the flysky gt5 it's all on screen you just go to the epa setting and choose the channel you want to set and set it . I'm glad I got the controller I did now lol 😆

Last edited:
I have a 2 speed that's funny that way. I got it second hand mind you and the linkage wasn't with it so I've had a hell of a time figuring out how to make one that will last. I've gotten it figure out now , but they are really finicky sometimes . Just a little out and it won't shift
Yeah, you want the servo travelling just to the point the gears engage. Too much and you are straining the servo and applying unwanted force to the shift linkage inside the trans, causing wear. So setting your servo endpoints is key.

i typically will manually shift the gears and scratch a little mark on the shift arm showing me where it needs to be in "free state" for each gear. I will then set the endpoints so the marks lines back up. Then if you wiggle the linkage while in each gear, you should be able to feel the play in the shift arm, so it should show you that you are not putting the linkage in a bind.

Back