What are some Great Upgrades for the Losi 22s SCT 2wd RTR to be more compedative

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have to say, impressive build. For mine, i just used stock Losi TLR 22SCT suspension and steering parts, mainly i only changed the fixed links to the adjustable ones, and swapped the shocks for threaded ones, and once it was dialed in, it was pretty competitive, but, the original question was strictly asking about making it more race ready, and ditching the original pop off prone fixed links for something more durable that wont detach. I dont race as much as i used to, but, i have never seen a track that allows for as much power, or even half the upgrades you have anywhere i have been. Most tracks are either close to stock, Spec, or mild upgrades, which is why i just stuck with stock TLR parts.
So the shocks from the tlr 22 sct can be used on the 22s?

Hopefully I can help a bit on this topic given the work I have done on my 22s. I have listed out the parts that I'm currently running and included some snaps of the end product. I'll upload a quick video as well showing it in action. In short, it's a beast and I would be happy to answer any questions on any of the modifications that have been done. Cheers!

The battery tray was removed to make room for the 4S battery. I have pre-ordered the Aluminum Chassis Conversion Kit and Body Supports from Horizon (LOS338000/LOS230090).

Castle Creations
-Mamba X Extreme ESC
-1415 2400KV 5mm Sensored Motor
-Direct Connect Sensor Cable
-B-Link Bluetooth Adapter
-Telemetry Link for Spektrum
-Castle Link V3

Hot Racing
-Aluminum Front Camber Block
-Aluminum Rear & Rear Turnbuckles
-Aluminum Front & Rear Shock Towers
-Aluminum Rear Shock Tower Mount
-Aluminum Front Caster Block
-Aluminum Bearing Steering Mount
-Aluminum Servo Mount
-Aluminum Front Pivot
-Aluminum Rear Pivot
-Steel Spur Gear 48p 84t
-Kevlar NBR Slipper Pad
-Aluminum Front Bulkhead
-Aluminum 12mm Hex Wheels
-Aluminum Front Knuckle Spindle Set
-Aluminum Rear Hub
-Chassis Dirt Guard

Robinson Racing
-25T Pinion Gear (5mm bore)
--17T, 21T, 23T Steel Pinion Gears

Spektrum RC
-S6240 Digital High-Speed Servo
-DX5C Transmitter
-SR6110AT DSMR Telemetry Receiver
-AS3X Programming Cable
-Voltage Protector

Pro-Line Racing
-Flo-Tek Fusion Body
-4X Badlands SC 2.2"/3.0" Tires (Mounted)
-4X Street Fighter SC 2.2"/3.0" Tires (Mounted)
-Lid Skid Body Protectors
-PowerStroke Shocks (Front & Rear)
-6" Super-Bright LED Light Bar
-2" Super-Bright LED Light Bar Kit
-Pro Pulls

gensacearespammers
-2x 14.8V 5500 Capacity 4S Voltage 60C LiPo, EC5

Team Losi Racing
-22SCT MIB Front Bumper
-22SCT 3.0 SCT Rear Bumper Mount Set
-22SCT 2.0 Body Mount Set
-SCT 22 2.0 TLR4157 Motor Plate
-Sub Bumper Set 22SCT
-23T Aluminum Servo Horn
-Grooved Slipper Plates
-Layshaft and Spacer 22 Series
-Idler Gear Aluminum
-Carbon Electronics Mounting
-HDS Slipper Spring Set
-Battery Strap Set

Avid RC
-"Mod" Triad Slipper Clutch (81T/84T)

Yeah Racing
-2x 30x30x10 Cooling Fans
-Aluminum 12-14 Gauge Wire Clamp
-2x 3D Whirlwind Aluminum Fan Protector
-4x 4mm Aluminum Serrated Wheel Lock Nut

JConcepts Inc
- HF2 SCT Body (White)
- Carbon Fiber Front and Rear Body Mount Brace

Apex RC
-LED Lipo Battery Voltage Checker Gauge
-Remote Electronic AUX Channel On/Off Switch

View attachment 126328
so what exactly did the avidrc slipper clutch improve for you? how did the pinion and spur gear tooth configurations change the way the truck drives? I've PM'd you but havent heard from you, so maybe this might get to you.

Hopefully I can help a bit on this topic given the work I have done on my 22s. I have listed out the parts that I'm currently running and included some snaps of the end product. I'll upload a quick video as well showing it in action. In short, it's a beast and I would be happy to answer any questions on any of the modifications that have been done. Cheers!

The battery tray was removed to make room for the 4S battery. I have pre-ordered the Aluminum Chassis Conversion Kit and Body Supports from Horizon (LOS338000/LOS230090).

Castle Creations
-Mamba X Extreme ESC
-Castle Link V3

Hot Racing
-Aluminum Servo Mount
-Aluminum Front Pivot
-Aluminum Rear Pivot
-Steel Spur Gear 48p 84t
-Kevlar NBR Slipper Pad
-Aluminum Front Bulkhead
-Aluminum Rear Hub
-Chassis Dirt Guard

Robinson Racing

Spektrum RC
-DX5C Transmitter
-AS3X Programming Cable
-Voltage Protector

Pro-Line Racing
-Flo-Tek Fusion Body
-Pro Pulls

gensacearespammers

Team Losi Racing
-22SCT MIB Front Bumper
-Sub Bumper Set 22SCT
-23T Aluminum Servo Horn
-Grooved Slipper Plates
-Idler Gear Aluminum
-HDS Slipper Spring Set
-Battery Strap Set

Avid RC

Yeah Racing

JConcepts Inc
- HF2 SCT Body (White)

Apex RC

View attachment 126328
may i ask how fast it goes

Castle Creations
-Mamba X Extreme ESC
-Castle Link V3

Hot Racing
-Aluminum Servo Mount
-Aluminum Front Pivot
-Aluminum Rear Pivot
-Steel Spur Gear 48p 84t
-Kevlar NBR Slipper Pad
-Aluminum Front Bulkhead
-Aluminum Rear Hub
-Chassis Dirt Guard

Robinson Racing

Spektrum RC
-DX5C Transmitter
-AS3X Programming Cable
-Voltage Protector

Pro-Line Racing
-Flo-Tek Fusion Body
-Pro Pulls

gensacearespammers

Team Losi Racing
-22SCT MIB Front Bumper
-Sub Bumper Set 22SCT
-23T Aluminum Servo Horn
-Grooved Slipper Plates
-Idler Gear Aluminum
-HDS Slipper Spring Set
-Battery Strap Set

Avid RC

Yeah Racing

JConcepts Inc
- HF2 SCT Body (White)

Apex RC

View attachment 126328
what dirt cover did you get that actually fits??
i should actually ask does anybody know what dirt cover could possibly fit? is the slash pretty much the same size?
I think this guy is dead or something anyway......

Since this is for the 22s sct and upgrades...... here's what I've done but I don't race so I didn't go for a certain spec motor and I can only say that becoming a better driver and learning your machine is the real edge on being competitive.
-Hobbywing max10 SCT ESC, 3660 3200KV motor: it kills it. wheelies in grass, loose dirt, or mud. (i burned up 2 brushed motors on stock gearing)
-proline badlands mx sc tires. they are great and I'm only running them in the rear right now.
- the slash adjustable turnbuckles, but I've never had the stock "pop" off, these stock ones have that bit of removed plastic the TLR guys did to the SCT22...
-I cut some holes and slots into the body to let air flow through, now I don't send it so i dont get parachuting, but look at that proline body and cut some slots in those spots. I dont think it needs to be that wide open but then again, I'm not doing races or huge jumps.
- balance the wheels! these stock wheels wobble like crazy and i dont know how to fix that but you can stick some molding clay in there to balance them, theres an edge. plenty of guides on that.
-Shocks. I kept the stock plastic shocks. they are gen2 or 3? they are pretty damn good. they do have the bleeder caps. you could do the measurements on shock bodies and get aluminum, or you could get proline super expensive shocks which would cost as much as this damn truck, but i personally havent done it. just tune em'. I've yet to rebuild them with the 3 hole pistons as well, but i do have all the stuff to do a rebuild. LOSI's piston are suppost to be pretty crafty in the way they compress then decompress, the 3 hole is what the TLR group prefer (I think).
-shock oil and springs. the stock springs are stiff i think. I ordered a rear spring kit for the 22sct and they are pretty good. they fit the front too with enough of the shims that come with the truck. you need a shim at the bottom because the spring tries to slip over the cup. It will stay, I've been running it for awhile now and nothing has popped out. I changed the oil to 27.5 front and rear. when i did that alone it was better response on my homemade track, then I figured out springs. I think i did mistakenly buy some rear 22 shocks from the buggy, they did fit the front but the ones i got were too soft.
-The AVID RC evo slipper. Now I dont know and can't tell if it really did make this thing faster or more responsive. AVID claims its a lighter weight on the drivetrain and i was interested in playing with gearing anyway so i bought one. This is where being in tune with your machine comes in. If you have spent enough time with it, you will see or feel a difference, unfortunately when i got mine I wasn't there yet.
-The gearing. because of the motor i chose, finding a 5mm pinion in a low tooth count was hard. they just dont exist. I am currently running a 17T robinson pinion with an AVID 87T spur, thats pretty close to stock(14/87). even with 25/84 it popped wheelies in grass. I can tell you the HW motor runs REALLY cool on 17/87, so i may go up to 19 or 20 on that pinion, but i prefer the torque. Its just fun seeing it lift up that front end.
-JConcepts body stiffener. its a simple carbon fiber brace, and i had to kind of slot my body mount posts to get my body clips in. it is obviously made for the 22sct body mounts, if you dont want to drill holes or slot them, pay the money for the 22sct body mount kit? This thing DOES work. the body still has that rattle to it, but alot of it has gone away. who would have thought. LOSI should have done this already.
-Proline lid skids. These are cool and they work! as long as you put them where the body would actually contact during a rollover they save the body from scrapes. turn it upside down and mount them at those points. plus i think they look cool.
-The servo....... the spektrum servo really doesn't seem bad, until it breaks. Sure it is slow if you know what others are like. So mine started binding up and I just chose to go savox. I did this with my scx24 and have never been happier, same story on the 22s. Get a savox and call it good, its faster, stronger, metal gears, and just reliable. Its a good brand. sorry i dont have the part number, but anything you get other than the stock spektrum and that crazy expensive spektrum whats his name is talking about is going to suit you very well.

By the time you do all this, you could have bought a 4WD SCT! But I'm guessing when you, like me, bought a brushed 2WD SCT, you were thinking $180 was expensice for an R/C vehicle too. Hey now we know. You could even drop more money into the $400 RTR's too, with the way electronics are today.....(spektrum)

I dont have alot of money and all of these things I have done has taken time, plenty of runs, and breakdowns. I can only assume real people are right in this category. All that hot racing aluminum this aluminum that, we can't afford it! just buy a $400 rig then! I'm not bagging on those people that do put all the aluminum pieces in, in fact i would like to drive one around, so in a way I envy the guy with the full on aluminum chassis and chassis parts. For the backyard racer, or basher if thats what I am, I get what I can afford and I like what makes a difference.

what dirt cover did you get that actually fits??
i should actually ask does anybody know what dirt cover could possibly fit? is the slash pretty much the same size?
I think this guy is dead or something anyway......
That guy only ever made that one single post on this forum back in April and hasnt been back since so its doubtful you'll get a response from him.

One more very important “upgrade” I did inadvertently. The dx3 with the sr315 receiver. Much better than what this truck comes with. I bought it for my yeti jr because I was going brushless on it, but after getting it and just liking the look of the tx, I decided to swap this stuff in and put the stock stuff into the yeti jr. the yeti jr came with the same tx, the stx3 or something. It’s decent, but when you see the response of the dx3 system, you realize how big of an upgrade that is.

I'm also looking for some race ready upgrades and things to do right away with this sct. I’m new to the hobby I have a 4x4 sct I’m getting into racing now I’m picking up this losi 22s to get into 2wd sct racing and tips and pointers would be appreciated.

I'm also looking for some race ready upgrades and things to do right away with this sct. I’m new to the hobby I have a 4x4 sct I’m getting into racing now I’m picking up this losi 22s to get into 2wd sct racing and tips and pointers would be appreciated.
Well, learn how it drives, read through my post to see what I’ve done. It also depends on the track and what they let you have. I don’t race officially, I built a track in the backyard

And that 22s probably isn’t race ready stock, plan on dumping more than what you paid for the truck in just a few things for you to compete.

It entirely depends on what class you are in. Stock, you can't do much with, and is the easiest to start out with. Whether it is a stock class, a mod class, or any other class, starting out, you really dont need to do much with it. Get used to how it drives, then, if you really want to, you can change the shocks to threaded aluminum ones, and change the fixed links for adjustable ones. Is yours the brushed or brushless version? Brushless, to run 2S, you may need to change gearing to keep it competitive. On 2S, the brushless version, which is set up for 3S, is a bit slow on a 2S battery.
And that 22s probably isn’t race ready stock, plan on dumping more than what you paid for the truck in just a few things for you to compete.
For a stock class, both versions are pretty competitive right out of the box. The biggest limiting factor on them is the fixed links, which tend to pop off, and allow no caster/camber adjustment. I have both brushed and brushless versions, both of which i raced right out of the box (they are the only new trucks i have, all my other race trucks are older and discontinued, which is why i bought the two trucks in the first place), and, other than the brushless being slow on 2S, which a gear change took care of, i didnt do too bad with either truck.
Since this is for the 22s sct and upgrades...... here's what I've done but I don't race so I didn't go for a certain spec motor and I can only say that becoming a better driver and learning your machine is the real edge on being competitive.
-Hobbywing max10 SCT ESC, 3660 3200KV motor: it kills it. wheelies in grass, loose dirt, or mud. (i burned up 2 brushed motors on stock gearing)
-proline badlands mx sc tires. they are great and I'm only running them in the rear right now.
- the slash adjustable turnbuckles, but I've never had the stock "pop" off, these stock ones have that bit of removed plastic the TLR guys did to the SCT22...
-I cut some holes and slots into the body to let air flow through, now I don't send it so i dont get parachuting, but look at that proline body and cut some slots in those spots. I dont think it needs to be that wide open but then again, I'm not doing races or huge jumps.
- balance the wheels! these stock wheels wobble like crazy and i dont know how to fix that but you can stick some molding clay in there to balance them, theres an edge. plenty of guides on that.
-Shocks. I kept the stock plastic shocks. they are gen2 or 3? they are pretty damn good. they do have the bleeder caps. you could do the measurements on shock bodies and get aluminum, or you could get proline super expensive shocks which would cost as much as this damn truck, but i personally havent done it. just tune em'. I've yet to rebuild them with the 3 hole pistons as well, but i do have all the stuff to do a rebuild. LOSI's piston are suppost to be pretty crafty in the way they compress then decompress, the 3 hole is what the TLR group prefer (I think).
-shock oil and springs. the stock springs are stiff i think. I ordered a rear spring kit for the 22sct and they are pretty good. they fit the front too with enough of the shims that come with the truck. you need a shim at the bottom because the spring tries to slip over the cup. It will stay, I've been running it for awhile now and nothing has popped out. I changed the oil to 27.5 front and rear. when i did that alone it was better response on my homemade track, then I figured out springs. I think i did mistakenly buy some rear 22 shocks from the buggy, they did fit the front but the ones i got were too soft.
-The AVID RC evo slipper. Now I dont know and can't tell if it really did make this thing faster or more responsive. AVID claims its a lighter weight on the drivetrain and i was interested in playing with gearing anyway so i bought one. This is where being in tune with your machine comes in. If you have spent enough time with it, you will see or feel a difference, unfortunately when i got mine I wasn't there yet.
-The gearing. because of the motor i chose, finding a 5mm pinion in a low tooth count was hard. they just dont exist. I am currently running a 17T robinson pinion with an AVID 87T spur, thats pretty close to stock(14/87). even with 25/84 it popped wheelies in grass. I can tell you the HW motor runs REALLY cool on 17/87, so i may go up to 19 or 20 on that pinion, but i prefer the torque. Its just fun seeing it lift up that front end.
-JConcepts body stiffener. its a simple carbon fiber brace, and i had to kind of slot my body mount posts to get my body clips in. it is obviously made for the 22sct body mounts, if you dont want to drill holes or slot them, pay the money for the 22sct body mount kit? This thing DOES work. the body still has that rattle to it, but alot of it has gone away. who would have thought. LOSI should have done this already.
-Proline lid skids. These are cool and they work! as long as you put them where the body would actually contact during a rollover they save the body from scrapes. turn it upside down and mount them at those points. plus i think they look cool.
-The servo....... the spektrum servo really doesn't seem bad, until it breaks. Sure it is slow if you know what others are like. So mine started binding up and I just chose to go savox. I did this with my scx24 and have never been happier, same story on the 22s. Get a savox and call it good, its faster, stronger, metal gears, and just reliable. Its a good brand. sorry i dont have the part number, but anything you get other than the stock spektrum and that crazy expensive spektrum whats his name is talking about is going to suit you very well.

By the time you do all this, you could have bought a 4WD SCT! But I'm guessing when you, like me, bought a brushed 2WD SCT, you were thinking $180 was expensice for an R/C vehicle too. Hey now we know. You could even drop more money into the $400 RTR's too, with the way electronics are today.....(spektrum)

I dont have alot of money and all of these things I have done has taken time, plenty of runs, and breakdowns. I can only assume real people are right in this category. All that hot racing aluminum this aluminum that, we can't afford it! just buy a $400 rig then! I'm not bagging on those people that do put all the aluminum pieces in, in fact i would like to drive one around, so in a way I envy the guy with the full on aluminum chassis and chassis parts. For the backyard racer, or basher if thats what I am, I get what I can afford and I like what makes a difference.
If you are planning on racing one of these, brushed or brushless, a lot of the stuff you did was unnecessary. You state that you arent a racer, mainly a basher, which there is nothing wrong with, but, if you have ever raced, you would know that, unless you are in a mod class, most of the upgrades you did wouldnt be allowed. Some of the upgrades you did wouldnt even be allowed by some mod class rules. For a racer, the only parts of what you did i can agree with are the new servo, and adjustable links, which, you dont need Traxxas links, the ones from the TLR 22SCT are a direct replacement, as are most of the TLR 22SCT parts. None of my race trucks have much, if anything in the way of aluminum parts, since i have never seen a need for them.

Last edited:
It entirely depends on what class you are in. Stock, you can't do much with, and is the easiest to start out with. Whether it is a stock class, a mod class, or any other class, starting out, you really dont need to do much with it. Get used to how it drives, then, if you really want to, you can change the shocks to threaded aluminum ones, and change the fixed links for adjustable ones. Is yours the brushed or brushless version? Brushless, to run 2S, you may need to change gearing to keep it competitive. On 2S, the brushless version, which is set up for 3S, is a bit slow on a 2S battery.

For a stock class, both versions are pretty competitive right out of the box. The biggest limiting factor on them is the fixed links, which tend to pop off, and allow no caster/camber adjustment. I have both brushed and brushless versions, both of which i raced right out of the box (they are the only new trucks i have, all my other race trucks are older and discontinued, which is why i bought the two trucks in the first place), and, other than the brushless being slow on 2S, which a gear change took care of, i didnt do too bad with either truck.

If you are planning on racing one of these, brushed or brushless, a lot of the stuff you did was unnecessary. You state that you arent a racer, mainly a basher, which there is nothing wrong with, but, if you have ever raced, you would know that, unless you are in a mod class, most of the upgrades you did wouldnt be allowed. Some of the upgrades you did wouldnt even be allowed by some mod class rules. For a racer, the only parts of what you did i can agree with are the new servo, and adjustable links, which, you dont need Traxxas links, the ones from the TLR 22SCT are a direct replacement, as are most of the TLR 22SCT parts. None of my race trucks have much, if anything in the way of aluminum parts, since i have never seen a need for them.
No I don’t race, there isn’t a place to race where I’m at. I basically upgraded as I saw fit, at the time when I bought the adjustable links, everything TLR was on back order. That’s why they call it “team discontinued” or team back order.

Stock/spec class, err, I mean the motor and battery of the month club is all about squeezing every last bit of "speed" out of your ride. Trying to keep everyone equal/on the same playing field is $$$. The whole "motor and battery of the month club" was more of a jab to earlier stock class racing, but still holds somewhat true today. Blinky mode turned on makes a person do weird things sometimes.

Just get the correct tires to start with, and go have fun. Upgrade your RC as your talent and wallet sees fit.

Back