What are clutch springs for?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr Bee

RC Newbie
Reaction score
I just picked up a an ofna lx ultra in nice shape, my question is ,owner put another engine in and left out the clutch springs, what do these do for the clutch ? any help? thanks

I just picked up a an ofna lx ultra in nice shape, my question is ,owner put another engine in and left out the clutch springs, what do these do for the clutch ? any help? thanks

Did he leave them out ,or are those extra one's? ,sometimes a spring kit will come with 2 sets ,one stiffer than the other ,
but anyway ,the springs have to be there to retract the shoes off the bell ,while the car idles or upon starting!

If the car tends to "creep" at idle, chances are the springs were not installed. If it needs some throttle before it moves it's probably got the springs installed and like @cbaker65 suggests, you might have an extra set. The springs pull the shoes away from the clutch bell at idle and then get spun out with centrifugal force as the RPM increases. They are a must or the bell will overheat and glaze and your clutch shoes will wear out very quickly.

leaving your Clutch springs out, will result in your Car Not being able to Idle without wanting to Constantlykeep driving , Much like stopping you Manual car at the lights and forgetting to Depress the clutch pedal.
That is if your able to Start it on the ground in the first place .! I’d suggest you refit them ;)

if you like a clutch to drop in hard at slightly higher engine rpm , you can Choose Aluminium clutch shoes with Hard springs.
or achieve the opposite with soft springs .

Glad I i could offer some help , I was into my nitro and 1/5 petrol cars in a big way about 8 years ago , I’ve been ill and sold majority of them except my favourite Losi Truggy 2.0
But I have had to learn about Lipo and Brushless since I decided to get back into rc cars, before now I hadn't seen an electric car since my teens when I raced 4wd electric brushed my winning car was a Kyosho Lazer Zx-r mk2 so hopefully I know what I’m talking about

before now I hadn't seen an electric car since my teens
Amazing. Most of us who got into this hobby in its early days started with electric. That's all there was. Then we all walked away from all of it when the nitro cars with 2 speeds and reverse came out. You never saw an electric at an outdoor track. Now we're all going back to the future where electric is king.