Welcome another Mantis to the fray

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcstoufer

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I just went down to Custom Street Toyz (www.customstreettoyz.net) in Hayward yesterday and threw down for one of these. I have been doing some research and this looks the be the one for those not wanting an all out racer truggy to start.

Needless to say, I was a giddy as a 12 year old getting their first BB gun. I know this from first-hand experience as well. Who knew a 32 year old could still get all wound up over this. I'm sure the high will last long afterwards.

So, I'll be updating this thread from time to time with my experiences with this beast. First off charge the batteries and start the break in.

BTW, I'm going w/o a temp gun on this one. Having broken in countless airplane and boat engines, I think I have a good handle on carb settings and break in procedures.

Well, best of luck my friend. I will be 30 this year and it doesn't matter what kind of RC it is... I feel the exact same way you do. Have fun and enjoy yourself!

Tom

Mcstoufer good luck with the new ride. and i think we all get wound up over new stuff. i know I'm 37 and my girlfriend says i am like a crack $@ore with my buggy and truggy. i think she is jealous..lol

LOL!
My wife had more of the resigned "sigh" when she saw me walk into the house with it. As long as it stays in the garage and doesn't keep me from home too much, she is OK with it. Little does she know that the N trips to Home Depot for tools and supplies translates directly into R/C.

As the engine, I will break her in easily into this renewed addiction.

For an update on the break-in process. A few aborted attempts revealed that there were some issues with the factory assembly of both fuel system and engine.

First, the in-line fuel filter was not totally screwed together. Consequently a small stream of bubbles were being vibrated into the line while fuel dripped out. No biggy, a good tightening and things were OK. I was getting a curious lean response from the engine while this was going on. In the past air in the line kept my boat and plane engines from flat not starting at all.

Next, the design and manufacturing of the Axial .28 no doubt plans for tight fitting components with good TDC compression. Working back from this principle, I had a VERY hard time getting the mill to stay lit. While hesitant to play with the Idle Screw and LSN, the engine would run 10-15 seconds after the igniter was removed. Either too rich/cool. This was contrary to the lack of smoke and excessively high temp the engine head was carrying. The smoke emitting from the clutch and around the cooling fins was probably just residual burn-off and disappeared in short order.

After finally tweaking the LSN after a cumulative tank of gas, I was able to achieve and stand alone high idle with an appreciative amount of exhaust smoke. In the end, a good R/C buddy "enlightened" me in that the Idle screw is just that, a screw that sets the bottom idle throw of the carb barrel. There is no needle there that allows an component of air/fuel to slip by when at idle. The LSN handled that. By returning the LSN to factory 'flush' setting and backing out the idle screw, I now have a rather strong responding mill that will idle all day w/o the clutch engaging AND the head temp is hovering around the high end of the recommended running levels.

Hope this helps for other Mantis/Axial owners.

Lucky for you guys, everytime I bring something new R/C wise home, my wife asks me if it's for her Mammoth! Dang woman, let me have some stuff and go get your own!

trx- after you get a new tuck or expensive part just buy her a little theing like rpm arms or something lol to keep her quiet hah

No, she wants the new truck.lol. I get the arms and little hop up parts. I had the nitro sport for a long time and thought I'd get a new truck. I liked the Mammoth so we went to the store and she's all, I want that one for myself. DANG! Of course I went out and got the Mammoth ST and an XT2 so now she want the new Monster MT. DOH!

So how has the car held up so far? I'm interested in getting one of these. How about the Axial .28? Does it really pull like a tractor like the XRC review says? How about flight off jumps? I know tons of questions but I am going to buy soon and want the info. I would love a Muuuugen or Crt put just can't afford it. Thank for the input.

Back