Warthog is done

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robmob

LET’S GO BRANDON!
Staff member
Supporter
Excellence Award
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Here are the completed pics before it's maiden run.

It was a fun build and all I can say is thank god for the Dremel tool.

Started with Axial ARTR

• HBZ Warthog Pro Comp SS Chassis
• Holmes Hobbies 7T Puller Motor
• MaxAmps S3 2000mah Batt
• Castle BEC
• Mamba Max ESC
• MIP C-Drive Splines (No. 08101)
• Losi Crawler Shocks (No. LOSA5082) with Losi Yellow Springs (No. LOSA5148) in the rear and HPI shaft ends (No. 85050)
• Losi Rock Claws
• Proline 8-Shooters
• GH Racing Silver Aluminum Servo Mounts (NO. 04038)
• Hot Racing Hard Anodized Tranny Gear Set (No. SCP1000T)
• East End Machining Motor Mount
• East End Machining Delrin Tranny Mounting Plate
• CDW Chromoly Tranny Outputs
• STRC Black Aluminum Lock Out with Steel Driveshafts in the rear (No. STA30494BK)
• STRC Black Aluminum Upper Suspension Link Mounts (No. STA80015BK)
• STRC Black Aluminum Hub Carriers (No. STA80012BK)
• STRC Black Aluminum Steering Knuckles (No. STA80004BK)
• Axial Universal Set (No. AX30464)
• Axial Heavy Duty Bevel Gear Sets F/R (No. AX30395)
• Axial Upper Link Plate (No. AX30497)
• Axial Slipper Clutch (No. AX30414)

DSC00674_4.jpg

DSC00674_5.jpg

DSC00674_7.jpg

DSC00674_6.jpg

DSC00674_8.jpg

The 7T Holmes Hobbies Cobalt Puller Motor is insane with the 3S lipo I am using. If I can't climb over it, I can just jump over it.

Shortly after these pics, it got it's first rock rash followed by much more. She is no longer nice looking on the underside.

I have already started ordering parts for my next build which will use the Bender chassis and the RS4 bug body.

Last edited:
Insanely cool! I haven't been bitten by the crawler bug yet but you are tempting me into it. Would I be considered a candy-ass if I started with an Axial RTR?

OOOO AHHHHH WOW That is so sick!!! I am about to order my Axial ARTR :D That is one of the best looking builds I have seen rob Very nice. What servo is that?

Insanely cool! I haven't been bitten by the crawler bug yet but you are tempting me into it. Would I be considered a candy-ass if I started with an Axial RTR?

Not in my book.

After running the Warthog, I can see the benefit of rear dig. It takes some real estate to turn around.

My next one will use a DNA dig unit which I ordered last night. I plan on having the best of both worlds.

OOOO AHHHHH WOW That is so sick!!! I am about to order my Axial ARTR :D That is one of the best looking builds I have seen rob Very nice. What servo is that?

It is a Hitec 5955 TG. 333oz of torque at 6V.

333oz??? holy damn i bet thats awesome. great looking rig man.

Ahh I got excited for a second cause I have the 595MG but its only like 60 oz. haha Thought I might be able to use it but I guess not lol.

Very very nice rig Rob! I love the paint scheme on the warthog chassis.

You gotta start somewhere.
I run a Jr 8711 on my comp rig it is rated at 403 oz at 6v

Very nice rig you have there.

Last edited:
Rob, it's beautiful. I've really been waiting on the pics of this build. The skidplate looks great on that chassis. How are you liking it so far? I think I run my claws the other way on my rigs. I wonder if I run them backwards from how they're supposed to be.

The Axial ARTR is a lot more truck for the money, and a whole lot more capable on the rocks. If you need help with the electronics I can help you get what you need without spending too much money on them, if you're on a budget.

That's pretty much the same servo that I run in my comp rigs Lloyd.

Ahh I got excited for a second cause I have the 595MG but its only like 60 oz. haha Thought I might be able to use it but I guess not lol.

You can get by temporarily with about 140 oz/in, like the HiTec 645MG, but you really need something above 200 oz/in with metal gears in a crawler. If you're on a budget, the towerpro is a great servo. For about $12 shipped, it puts out 210 oz/in of torque and has metal gears.

I run the HiTec 7955TG in my comp rigs, and the Towerpro MG995 in my test rigs.

Last edited:
The Axial ARTR is a lot more truck for the money, and a whole lot more capable on the rocks. If you need help with the electronics I can help you get what you need without spending too much money on them, if you're on a budget.

h8z2luze and I were mulling that over last night and he suggested the ARTR as well. As I know as much about crawlers as I do about women (don't know that I will EVER figure them out thus two divorces) I sure could use some pointers. I have a JR XS3 so I could use that for a radio if thats a good idea. If you have suggestions for a respectable budget-basher I am all ears. Thanks!

Rob, it's beautiful. I've really been waiting on the pics of this build. The skidplate looks great on that chassis. How are you liking it so far? I think I run my claws the other way on my rigs. I wonder if I run them backwards from how they're supposed to be.

Skidplate worked out great.

Since it raised the tranny slightly, it caused some interference with the CF side plate mounting screws. I ended up cutting down the motor mount plate to make it clear. I took my time and polished it up after cutting. If you didn't know any better, you would think it was made that way.

I have no idea whether I have the claws mounted in the right direction. I just matched the way they are mounted on my Losi mini and how Austin Dunn had them mounted on his in the Oct 08 issue of XRC.

Wow, that's really nice!
It looks like something really mean, waiting to scramble out of the shrubbery with the ease and agility of a rabid killer spider.

DSC00674_6.jpg

Awesome work Rob, I love it! I too have not been bitten by the crawler bug. My theory is if I don't drive one, I won't get bit. Pics like this strain that theory!

Added a list of the major parts used on this project.

I've had my eye on the chassis. How well does it crawl??

Awesome rig. Nice job. Didnt see this before I posted up the skidplate review for the one I just installed on my HBZ chassis.

Didnt run into the tranny problem though :p: