Wanting to get into Helis

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

revo_rob_1984

OverMedicated
Supporter
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
I am wanting to get into Heli's but i dont' want to spend a boatload of cash just in case i really don't like it, but i am looking for a good (not the best by any means) brushless electric heli RTFw/ battery/batteries, and transmitter for no more than 300 bucks less would be better but i'm just throwing a price out there to get started. any suggestions?

no body has any suggestions??????

You can start out with a twin axial rotor like a CX-2 for about 150, just to see if you like it, then you can move up to a Belt CP or something similar that will give you full 3-D rotor control.
Good doesn't translate to cheap. If you buy cheap, you'll spend more on upgrades than the heli cost.
It's also important to fully understand the mechanics of these birds, so you should consider buying a bare bones kit and adding the electronic and mechanical options of your choice.

That would seem to be the perfect in between of the 2 I suggested. For the price it would be a good choice for a starter heli.

ok Thanx alot ralph i appreciate the info, if i have any more questions after i get it i'll be sure to ask

Just a flier's tip for you...
Take-offs are optional, landings are mandatory. :D

I've never damaged any of mine by bumping into the sky.

I don't think this is a bad deal. I actually really like the way the landing gear looks compard to what I started with. Id recommend going to your LHS and seeing if they stock parts for this.

I started out with an E-flite Blade CP because parts were everywhere. It was more difficult to fly than the twin rotor, but not too bad to learn on.

I now have a helimax MX 450

Since you are going to have to work on it & learn how to tear it apart anyways, if you're just learning, you could probably put together a 450 size kit for about what you;re looking to spend. Or buy a 6 pack - LOL.

These kits are just the heli though, you still need to add all the electronics, etc though.

I thought of ordering one of these just to put it together (the $28 kit), I am not 100% sure, but I bet you could swap a lot of parts with t-rex parts ? Everyone carries t-rex parts.

http://hobbyking.com/hobbycity/store/uh_listCategoriesAndProducts.asp?idCategory=320#

The 450 will definitley be more stable.

Keep in mind, a lot of "how well it flies" has a lot to do with the set up and tuning, so be patient with it.

Take a look near the bottom of the page to see what else you need:

http://hobbyking.com/hobbycity/stor...t_Name=HK-450_CCPM_3D_Electric_Helicopter_Kit

They don't mention the radio though - looks like for about $150 plus a radio, extra battery & charger.

Just a thought :D