Wanting a crawler

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DirtRider045

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Whats up everyone. I've been wanting a rock crawler for a while now but I'm at a loss. It will be my first crawler so i dont want anything fancy, what would be a decent crawler of any scale for under $150?:\

None under $150 will worth a poop...Thats just my opinion. double or triple that and you will be getting closer.

None under $150 will worth a poop...Thats just my opinion. double or triple that and you will be getting closer.

Is hpi's crawler king any good? Cause i can get one right now for $120 through tower hobbies

We are having good luck with the Redcat Rockslide RS10 if you are just looking to fool around:

RedcatRockslide RS10

Blaze your own trail and whip up some rock crawlin’ carnage with the new Rockslide RS10! Monster boulders and steep vertical assaults are no match for this agile 4X4 with its dual electric brushed 70T 380 motors, aggressive tread RC crawling tires and flexible aluminum chassis. A durable polycarbonate road-rash resistant body, oil filled aluminum bodied shocks and 3 channel FM Remote are sure to impress any off road RC rock jockey!

media.jpg

media.jpg

What are you wanting to use it for?

probably just climbing up random things like logs, blocks, sand hills and maybe some mud. So like i said i dont need anything fancy.

your best bet for that price range is gonna be the rockslide rs10. they can be had for around 160 shipped.

but like slownngreen said. to get anything worth a poop you will defitnitly want to at least double your price range.

good luck

One thing to keep in mind is that the RS10 are POS's stock and will continue to be a POS its entire life. I'm not trying to kill any site sponsors sales but I gotta give my opinion...

Put that $150 aside and keep adding to it till you can get something worth having. The rs10's need almost everything upgraded. All electronics, links, chassis, tires, wheels even suck, gears are plastic, housings are very weak, knuckles. Arent comp legal. Body's suck. motors are 380's. Not enough room to add bigger motors either. No matter how much money you put into one, it will still suck.

I'm no crawler guy, but my buddy's AX10 is fun and tough. He went to the lhs with $300 and came back with the rig, a 3000mah Venom 6 cell and a charger. The only thing we have ever had to do was set the gear mesh and add a little locktite to the motor screws. 1/2 hour charge time to crawl for over an hour.:) Don't waste your money on Redcat. They need to put their advertising money into a little r@d. I did a lot of research on Redcat over the last year. Their too busy shipping replacement parts to fix the real problem. Which is cutting corners on their composites.

Look around on the forums and ebay and craigslist, find yourself an ax10 for around $150 $200 rtr.

I agree with you guys, if you are looking to see what crawling is about, the Redcat RS10 is a good start. Most people that bad mouth them never had one, so its a mute point.

But, if you are looking to compete, or have a bunch of friends with big name crawlers, its best to spend the $300 and then start modding it to what you want anyway.

I was guessing from his $150 price point that he wanted soemthing to start with. Had he said I have $300 to spend, the Redcat would be out of the question.

Thanks everyone for your input! I definitly have better knowledge on what to look for now! :D

I have the 1/10er scx-10 and could never be happier, other than the ax-10 which is my next purchase but my scx kicks terrains ass I swear would not be able to. Never owned redcat but ALWAYS hear negative things about them, so id stay away from the rs10, just MO

look into the losi mini crawler, probably pick one up your price range and they're a good little crawler