Want to go Lipo

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

godale03

Awesomer!! Than Rolex!!
Supporter
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hey Guys,

I am looking to go LiPo. This is what I currently own as far as electronics...
Team Checkpoint TC1030 charger
Most of my ESC's are Novak GTB, Havok and HV speed controls.

To make the change, what do I still need to purchase and have before I go in this direction? I am not only looking at prices for batteries.. but the whole "cost of ownership" deal. Thanks!

Tom

First thing is to make sure your ESC's have LiPo cutoff. Some older models may not. You will need to get an external cutoff or upgrade the ESC if it doesn't have it.

Novak actually sells external cutoff's called the Smart Stop.

The Checkpoint will charge up to a 4S LiPo, but you will need a balancer and adapters for whatever balance taps you will have to do so.

I sold my Checkpoint's and upgraded to a pair Hyperion 720i's and could not be happier. Easier to use and the LiPo store mode is a great feature. Balancer is built-in so I needed was adapters which are inexpensive.

First thing is to make sure your ESC's have LiPo cutoff. Some older models may not. You will need to get an external cutoff or upgrade the ESC if it doesn't have it.

Novak actually sells external cutoff's called the Smart Stop.

The Checkpoint will charge up to a 4S LiPo, but you will need a balancer and adapters for whatever balance taps you will have to do so.

I sold my Checkpoint's and upgraded to a pair Hyperion 720i's and could not be happier. Easier to use and the LiPo store mode is a great feature. Balancer is built-in so I needed was adapters which are inexpensive.

Thank you. Two of my GTB's have lipo cutoffs built in. The majority do not. Do I need to get a lipo cutoff for each RC or can I interchange them like a transponder?

Also, when you buy a battery, how do you know what type of adapter you will need to get? The balancer is another item I will have to research. Are they hard to use? Does the balencer go inline while charging, is it something that you plug your battery in before you charge it? Thanks!

Tom

I just took a quick pic. This should help you understand what's all hooked up and how. Unfortunately there is no industry standard as far as balance plugs go so you'll need to research and see what type of adapter you'll need depending on the brand of battery you buy. I think some people do but I don't balance everytime I charge. Since my batteries are strictly race packs I only balance charge right the day before I go racing. I do not balance charge while I'm at the track, it's just a hassle and not really necessary from what I've heard at the racetrack. Rob is absolutely right about Store Mode. That is the cats asz right there. Store mode basically charges/discharges your pack to 60% capacity for safe storage. Since I only use mine for racing every 2 or 3 weeks it's important to store them properly between outings to maximize longevity and performance. You're supposed to "store" if the pack will not be used for more than a week. Apparently it's not good to store a Lipo with a full charge. Store Mode is a major convenience, no guessing.

545636568_photobucket_60683_.gif

I just took a quick pic. This should help you understand what's all hooked up and how. Unfortunately there is no industry standard as far as balance plugs go so you'll need to research and see what type of adapter you'll need depending on the brand of battery you buy. I think some people do but I don't balance everytime I charge. Since my batteries are strictly race packs I only balance charge right the day before I go racing. I do not balance charge while I'm at the track, it's just a hassle and not really necessary from what I've heard at the racetrack. Rob is absolutely right about Store Mode. That is the cats asz right there. Store mode basically charges/discharges your pack to 60% capacity for safe storage. Since I only use mine for racing every 2 or 3 weeks it's important to store them properly between outings to maximize longevity and performance. You're supposed to "store" if the pack will not be used for more than a week. Apparently it's not good to store a Lipo with a full charge. Store Mode is a major convenience, no guessing.

545636568_photobucket_60683_.gif

Thanks for the picture. That does help. Do you also own the Hyperon?

Tom

What Josh pictured is a balance board adapter. It is not a balancer.

The Checkpoint does not have a built-in balancer so you will have to get an external one. You would then need to get adapters.

This is one type.
http://www.maxamps.com/LBA10-Balancer.htm

An easier version type depending on your pack is the Astro Flight Blinky.

I you are going to make the switch, I would sell that Checkpoint so you at least don't have to mess with an external balancer. Most of the newer LiPo compatible chargers have the balancer built-in like all you will need are balance boards like Josh pictured.

Last edited:
Yes Tom, I have a pair of 0606i's (DC version). It's an awesome charger as long as you don't need to charge any really big packs because it's max output is 50w. I would definitely want a charger with built in balancer, just my opinion. I waited years to jump on the Lipo bandwagon and only did so due to racing. Lipos are amazing. Maintaining them is no sweat. Mine don't even get warm after a run even though my motor might be 160*. If setup properly you know exactly when to stop using them and if stored properly you know without a doubt your doing it right. How can it possibly get any easier? All I have to worry about is tuning my ride and driving.

Thanks for the help guys. I appreciate it. Before I just took a leap of faith, I wanted to know what I was getting myself into. I didn't want to just go out and buy a couple of lipos only then to find out that I needed more equipment after the initial investment, if that makes any sense? So instead of paying for the balancer seperate, I can just get the hyperon. I really like the fact that it has the store mode.... for guys like me who don't have the time to run every week or spend a day cycling batteries this is a great feature! I can run the store function put the battery in the lipo bag and forget about it! LOL

Hey Rob, will that power supply I got from you work with the hyperon? Also the lipo cutoff's from Novak.... do I need to get one per ESC or can I just move them from one vehicle to the other like I do with my transponder? Thanks again guys.

Tom

Power supply will be fine and you can move the cutoff's just like a transponder.

Godale I was like you when I made the lipo leap. Once you do it you will kick yourself for not doing it sooner. I wish I would have bought a charger with a storage mode. I have the electicfly 6s lipo charger. It does a great job just missing that one feature.

www.hobbypartz.com has AWESOME prices on lipos, I currently run 2 5500 2s from gensacearespammers and I only paid $55 shipped for both, and they are aluminum faced so they are really tuff.

www.hobbyking.com has great prices too on lipos from Turnigy, I ran numerous packs from them and liked them alot but shipping from Japan sucks, but they do have a US warehouse also so this is my reccomend as more people do too

Well.... I bought the Hyperon 720i...... although I mistakenly bought the Super Duo..... I ordered it from Amazon and it can't be canceled..... I thought i was just buying one 720i.... but I didn't read carefully enough. I know my power supply won't power this! Damn! I should have read more carefully before clicking order!

Has anybody heard anything good or bad about Promatch Racing's batteries? the prices seem fair.

Tom

Hey Guys,

Looking at the Novak Lipo cutoff... they sell a 2, 3, and 4s lipo cutoffs. If I buy a 3s cutoff, will it work with a 2s pack? Also how to they connect inline with the rest of your electronics? Thanks

Tom

Tom, Lipo cutoffs are specific to the number of cells you're running. If you are running two cells you want a 2S cutoff. I'm not sure about the wiring... I asssume online but I don't really know for sure.

Sent from my DROIDX

Well.... I bought the Hyperon 720i...... although I mistakenly bought the Super Duo..... I ordered it from Amazon and it can't be canceled..... I thought i was just buying one 720i.... but I didn't read carefully enough. I know my power supply won't power this! Damn! I should have read more carefully before clicking order!

The Super Duo is a sweet charger so aside from cost, you did good. LOL

As long as you only charge one battery at a time, the power supply should be fine.

Hey Guys,

Looking at the Novak Lipo cutoff... they sell a 2, 3, and 4s lipo cutoffs. If I buy a 3s cutoff, will it work with a 2s pack? Also how to they connect inline with the rest of your electronics? Thanks

Tom

Since each smart stop is preset to kick in at a certain voltage, you will need the specific smart stop for however many cell LiPo you will be using.

Voltage Cut-Off Points:
6.25 volts (#5470 2-cell)
9.375 volts (#5472 3-cell)
12.5 volts (#5471 4-cell)

The red/black wires on the smart stop will need to be soldered to the power wires coming from your battery. This can be done either at the battery connector, or at the esc if your esc has solder tabs to attach to.

You then unplug the esc from the rx and plug it into the smart stop. You then plug the smart stop into the rx.

There is a setup procedure to go through that is similar to programming and esc.

Ok.... cool. I just ordered 2 2S smart stops and 2 promatch racing 5000 2S packs and a lipo sack for each one. Now it is just figure out how all of this stuff works. I am sure I will have many questions once all of this stuff gets here. Are the lipos ok if they are kept in the sack in my cabinet when they are not being used?

I use a composite air tight ammo can that was used for mortars. no issues so far and i check the voltage every few weeks and I haven't used them in a few months.

Hmmm. I just keep em on my hobby table... maybe I should put em in something.

Sent from my DROIDX