Want a rock crawler bad

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hands down, the cheapest good rock crawler has to be the Axial SCX24. There are tons of mods for them to build it any way you want. But they are only 1/24 scale, but sooo much fun.

For 1/10 and cheap, you might want to look at Redcat Gen 8. I'll let some of the other guys chime in because I only have a few crawlers, which two are the 24's. There are lots of 1/10 owners here who can help ya.

What's your max budget? The scx24's are a good cheap step in the door but I can see you wanting bigger soon. The axial rtr or kits always have huge aftermarket support.

Hands down, the cheapest good rock crawler has to be the Axial SCX24. There are tons of mods for them to build it any way you want. But they are only 1/24 scale, but sooo much fun.

For 1/10 and cheap, you might want to look at Redcat Gen 8. I'll let some of the other guys chime in because I only have a few crawlers, which two are the 24's. There are lots of 1/10 owners here who can help ya.
Thank you
What’s the cheapest rtr rock crawler and what’s some good kits and electronics
Is this any good https://www.redcatracing.com/products/danchee-ridgerock?variant=31050565714010
P
What's your max budget? The scx24's are a good cheap step in the door but I can see you wanting bigger soon. The axial rtr or kits always have huge aftermarket support.
like $200 to $300

I would personally so no on that redcat. Their gen 8 is popular but that one is a motor on axle crawler with very cheaply made parts and limited upgrades.

For that price range the scx24 might be best for you. It will let you know if it's something you are really into or not and you will have plenty extra for upgrades.

I would personally so no on that redcat. Their gen 8 is popular but that one is a motor on axle crawler with very cheaply made parts and limited upgrades.

For that price range the scx24 might be best for you. It will let you know if it's something you are really into or not and you will have plenty extra for upgrades.
👍
What is the adapter on a scx24?

Is it cheaper to buy a rtr or build one

What’s the cheapest rtr rock crawler and what’s some good kits and electronics
I could maybe sell my basher it’s got some goodies on it.

Is it cheaper to buy a rtr or build one
Depends. The link I sent with coupon is cheaper then a kit. A kit can also be cheaper then some rtrs in the $450-500 range. If you go used, rtr is usually cheaper.

Axial kits usually have hopups included. Kits need electronics, battery, charger, radio and reciever, paint, and tire glue for the most part.

Rtr is for sure way easier especially if you are new to crawlers. The electronics aren't the best but will get you going and can always be upgraded down the road.
Used can be great as there's a good chance of getting a rig rtr with plenty of the more necessary mods already done.
Just whatever you get, make sure there is plenty of parts support for it. At places like rpphobby or Amain.

That deadbolt linked above will get you started and is a good platform with lots of upgrades and add-ons available plus that's not gonna be a price you can beat.

I would personally so no on that redcat.
I would disagree wholeheartedly. The danchee is easily modded unless you're just a ”bolt on" guy. Even then it will hang with much more expensive rigs.
Guess how I know?
The motor on axle design,while mostly found on box store junk, is in a crawler class of its own for a reason. That reason is not because it's inferior. That's only my jaded opinion and I mostly don't know poop (no joke) so others could possibly disagree 😆.

Attachments

• 20220110_054054.jpg
    20220110_054054.jpg
    453.3 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
I would disagree wholeheartedly. The danchee is easily modded unless you're just a ”bolt on" guy. Even then it will hang with much more expensive rigs.
Guess how I know?
The motor on axle design,while mostly found on box store junk, is in a crawler class of its own for a reason. That reason is not because it's inferior. That's only my jaded opinion and I mostly don't know poop (no joke) so others could possibly disagree 😆.
Ok thanks for the help have a good day

I think the $139 price point is actually what sells it for the crawler beginner. If one's not sure if crawling is for them yet, they can save serious coin on this extremely entry level rig and spend it on their more serious builds. I started crawling with a Redcat everest10 at $160 delivered to my door. That particular one was super capable and tough and sold me on giving Redcat a chance.
All that being said, you probably shouldn't listen to me, I believe most Traxxas products are garbage. I can kill one of those in minutes 😂.

Guess how I know?

Cheap plastic gears, crappy geometry, poor tires, small 380's instead of 540's, really bad electronics, those are all bad things to me on a 1/10 moa.
Motor on axle is superior in performance to a shafty when setup correctly yes but out of the box those are lacking imo. I've had to setup a redcat for a guy who wanted a capable comp crawler years ago and it took replacing just about every stock part to make it competitive and then he just sold it and bought an axial for ease of upgrading and better overall design.
Just my opinions. Do yourself a favor and go watch vids on any rig you might want and look for threads on the forums of different builds.

Last edited:
This is so often the case here, where people are on a budget and want the best bang for their buck. It's completely understandable, as I am on disability myself. But I have learned to just be patient and put money back every month, or I use Tower Hobbies or Horizon for their easy pay option to split the payment over two or three months.

To buy a cheap RC usually ends up being a real letdown, especially when something breaks. And let's face it, stuff breaks on all of them. It's not a cheap hobby. It never really was. Back in '86 I sank over $600 into a Kyosho Javelin. That was a boatload of money for a 16 year old kid.

Hello everyone hope your having a good day.

I have a question for you what is the best budget crawler?

I’m looking for something from $150 to $250 usd.

What I need it to have is…
4 Wheel steering.
Lots of aftermarket parts.

Looking for rtr or kits, but the complete car (including electronics has to be in my budget)

What’s the best turn motor for rock crawlers?
What’s the best type of motors (brushed or brushless)?

Thanks for the help have a good day